Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Data Structures & Algorithms I

Options
  • 16-09-2007 9:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭

Just wondering if the practical tomorrow at 2pm is on?

:)

He said they start next week, but we've covered f*ck all, so I don't know what the practical would be on......

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Donald-Duck

DaveMcG wrote:
    Just wondering if the practical tomorrow at 2pm is on?

:)

He said they start next week, but we've covered f*ck all, so I don't know what the practical would be on......
    Not much use, but could you let me know if you find out? I have it on the other day that isn't monday...

Plus, does anyone know if Digital Systems practical is on from 4-6? We didn't exactly do anything in it but revise

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Data Structures practical is on today at 2 :( boo-urns

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

The first practical is usually some sort of revision of 1st year stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,568 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Just wondering am I on my own in thinking that was rock hard?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭Seifer

You're not on your own. They really could've gone a bit lighter for the first session back. People are trying to remember what gets capitalised, has brackets after it etc. and they're lobbing stuff we haven't a clue about at us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭themole

Seifer wrote:
    You're not on your own. They really could've gone a bit lighter for the first session back. People are trying to remember what gets capitalised, has brackets after it etc. and they're lobbing stuff we haven't a clue about at us.
    You might think so, but most of what was covered was basic java stuff, all of which you will need to know to be able to do the rest of the lab sessions.

I would suggest looking though the notes on java revision which are under course documents, for COMP20010, on blackboard.

You should also start using the likes of Eclipse. It is installed on all the machines in the lab.

COMP20010 on blackboard also has a discussion forum where you might get more feedback.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭Seifer

themole wrote:
    You should also start using the likes of Eclipse.
    Lol I think using Eclipse made it harder having not used it before.
    I've spent the last hour with Eclipse and the assignments on my much more tolerable machine at home and it's all starting to make sense again.
    It may seem like basic Java to you but spare a thought for those of us who just encountered it for the first time last year ;)

Seifer wrote:
    I've spent the last hour with Eclipse and the assignments on my much more tolerable machine at home and it's all starting to make sense again.
    It may seem like basic Java to you but spare a thought for those of us who just encountered it for the first time last year ;)
    It also very different to anything we did last year really

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

I also found it fairly tricky... I actually thought we had to have it done within the 2 hours :) So I submitted it incomplete. Got an email off Liam to tell me that I have until Friday! :o

With that in mind I think I did alright!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

themole wrote:
    You might think so, but most of what was covered was basic java stuff, all of which you will need to know to be able to do the rest of the lab sessions.

I would suggest looking though the notes on java revision which are under course documents, for COMP20010, on blackboard.
    QFT, it's really important that you get the hang of this stuff now. And it's well worth really getting the hang of Eclipse now.

Seifer wrote:
    And this is second year. The course is Data Structures, not Introduction to Java.

The assumption is that you should know everything you covered last year inside out and that you will be able to pick stuff up quicker.

So, if you found first year Java in anyway hard i suggest you get revising sooned rather than later.

Eclipse was not too happy after running the 1a part with each of the numbers set to 10,000.

Edit: Retarded at english :(

Eclipse was not too happy after running the 1a part with each of the numbers set to 10,000.

Edit: Retarded at english :(
    Well, that is 1,000,000,000,000 iterations. Might take a while, try with smaller numbers. see how the time increases.

Advertisement