Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which Certification?

Options
  • 16-09-2007 10:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Background: mid twentys. Fixing and tinkering with computers since 14ish. Got a cert in business studies.

Current Situation: Doing web dev, fairly simple network installations and fixing computers as a kinda part time nixer to keep me going as im living in abroad for the next year (come home to work every-so-often and do web dev from here also just to keep me going financially - this is just short term).

Did 2 year CCNA evening course 2/3 years ago - never sat CCNA exam. Was going to study and sit it now but I see last date for sitting is 11 November so was thinking of just leaving it for 6 months and restudying for it then when there is more study material available for the new syllabus.

I want to study for other IT Certs whilst abroad in the mean time.
    • I have very little experience in Linux.
    • A fair bit in windows but not server-wise.
    • I see myself working in Network Admin, design or deployment of somesort or possibly in a job that mixes networking and web dev.
    • I can't realistically see programming as an option - I would do a bit of php etc but just as a hobby.
    • Hard to get stable web dev job from what I can see.
    • Very good at troubleshooting
    What do you recommend?

I was thinking for getting into linux and possibly doing some windows certs aswell. I will sit the CCNA anyway next year.

Any advice is much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

After doing a bit of reading I am thinking of studying for the LPIC 1 exam. Any thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

I was thinking for getting into linux and possibly doing some windows certs aswell.

To begin with I would only choose one, Linux or Windows and concentrate on it.

Im a Windows person so I'll always be a little biased towards windows

I really think everyone should be availing of the FAS scheme where you can up to 70% of your MSCE, thats incredible stuff.

Why not go for an MCSE in 2003? Still a very valuable cert and will be for the next 2-5 years.

To begin with I would only choose one, Linux or Windows and concentrate on it.

Im a Windows person so I'll always be a little biased towards windows

I really think everyone should be availing of the FAS scheme where you can up to 70% of your MSCE, thats incredible stuff.

Why not go for an MCSE in 2003? Still a very valuable cert and will be for the next 2-5 years.
    Thanks for the response. Looking through recruitment websites there seems to be more work for mcse qualified than linux - especially for those with less experience.

Is the FAS thing a reduction for the exam or for a course?

I am looking now doing the MCSE exams. I am thinking of buying the self-paced training kit books for 130 euro from amazon and just studying it myself.

Is there any prerequisites to sitting the exams? i.e. do I have to have any exams already done to start doing the core modules? I cannot find the info on the ms website.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

Usually its easier to follow the numbering and start by getting your MCSA and then doing the final lot to get the MCSE certification

MCSA is 3 core + 1 elective

The core are

2 Networking

70-290 http://www.microsoft.com/learning/exams/70-290.mspx
    70-291 http://www.microsoft.com/learning/exams/70-291.mspx

1 Client

70-620 (Big Vista) http://www.microsoft.com/learning/exams/70-620.mspx
    or
    70-270 http://www.microsoft.com/learning/exams/70-270.mspx

There is a 2000 one as well, but better off sticking with the XP or Vista ones

Then its 1 elective and there quite a few. Have a look at

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/mcsa/windows2003/default.mspx

From there you can build on with the rest of the exams for the MCSE

Which are the 70-293 and the 70-294 and then 70-297 or 70-298

So with 4 exams you get your MCSA and then the final 3 for the MCSE

If it was me personally that is the way I would go.. I did that for my MCAD and MCSD (development certs)

• Advertisement

Pulled from a Training Providers website

70% Funded IT Training:

FÁS, the NDP and the EU are currently grant aiding non government organizations to help up skill employees. ***** has been awarded a contract to deliver End User and Technical IT training geared towards MOS, MCSE, MCSA, MCDBA, MCAD, MCPD, MCTS, MCITP, CompTIA (A+, Network+), CPTS/ Ethical Hacker Certifications at a heavily discounted and subsidized rate. FÁS will pay 70% of the cost of training and certification, making this offer impossible to turn down.

I "think" you basically get an MCSE/A course worth 7K for 1.5K. Its a fantastic deal imo

Incase anyone thinks Im plugging for some centre, I'm not. I dont work for any Training centre / FAS or anything related.

Sorry lost my train of thought to answer your questions
    I am looking now doing the MCSE exams. I am thinking of buying the self-paced training kit books for 130 euro from amazon and just studying it myself.

I would do both, get the books and do the full course.
    Is there any prerequisites to sitting the exams? i.e. do I have to have any exams already done to start doing the core modules? I cannot find the info on the ms website.

No, none at all. You can do the exams in any order you want.

I would do both, get the books and do the full course.
    Im not living in Ireland so doing a course is not an option.

Thanks for the replies guys. I think I will do the MCSE in the order Ginger suggested. I can't see why I wouldn't be able to do it self study by setting up one or two computers as servers or using VMware.

The only question is do I do the Client Module with XP or Vista?

Ahh Sorry Axer I didn't realise.

I would do the Vista module for future proofing

Also you might consider doing the CompTIA Security+ exam as your elective. That way you will have MCP, MCTS, MCSA and Sec +

You might also be better off going the Client exam first.

I would do the Vista module for future proofing
    Yeah, thats what I was thinking too.
    Also you might consider doing the CompTIA Security+ exam as your elective. That way you will have MCP, MCTS, MCSA and Sec +
    Yes, thanks - I will do CompTIA Security+ as my elective.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,210 ✭✭✭Junior

Pulled from a Training Providers website

70% Funded IT Training:

FÁS, the NDP and the EU are currently grant aiding non government organizations to help up skill employees. ***** has been awarded a contract to deliver End User and Technical IT training geared towards MOS, MCSE, MCSA, MCDBA, MCAD, MCPD, MCTS, MCITP, CompTIA (A+, Network+), CPTS/ Ethical Hacker Certifications at a heavily discounted and subsidized rate. FÁS will pay 70% of the cost of training and certification, making this offer impossible to turn down.

I "think" you basically get an MCSE/A course worth 7K for 1.5K. Its a fantastic deal imo

Incase anyone thinks Im plugging for some centre, I'm not. I dont work for any Training centre / FAS or anything related.

Any more info on this lads ?

Just pop onto the FAS website and I think you can sign up or ring them for answers anyways

Is there a title for this course - trying to search the fás site and getting nowhere....

Mucho Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

axer wrote: »
    Was going to study and sit it now but I see last date for sitting is 11 November so was thinking of just leaving it for 6 months and restudying for it then when there is more study material available for the new syllabus.

For what it's worth, there's very little difference between the old syllabus and the new - I recertified a couple weeks ago under the new exam, and the only difference was a handful of basic wireless questions; 95% of the current objectives are identical to the old exam.

There doesn't seem to be much recognition for Linux certifications yet - it might be worth taking a look at the Linux+ (CompTIA), as it's pretty basic (therefore easy) but will still give you a leg up, as not many people have any linux certification at all.

Security+ is also basic, but also useful (particularly if you're going for an MCSA/E)

FruitLover wrote: »
    For what it's worth, there's very little difference between the old syllabus and the new - I recertified a couple weeks ago under the new exam, and the only difference was a handful of basic wireless questions; 95% of the current objectives are identical to the old exam.

There doesn't seem to be much recognition for Linux certifications yet - it might be worth taking a look at the Linux+ (CompTIA), as it's pretty basic (therefore easy) but will still give you a leg up, as not many people have any linux certification at all.

Security+ is also basic, but also useful (particularly if you're going for an MCSA/E)
    Thanks FruitLover. I will go and sit my CCNA in a few months then (have just finish studying vista for my msce so will do the other modules first before the CCNA)

Axer, I did the Vista (620) exam last wednesday. Its fairly easy if you work with Vista.

ReRead the Networking section (Public, Private), know the whole "Network and sharing Center" section. IE 7 also featured very heavily (Protection Mode, Pop-up Blocker, RSS). Also the Vista recommended hardware spec...

Cant think of much else, if your fairly PC competent anyway you should pass.

Feel free to pm me any specific questions you might have

Advertisement