Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jigsaw

Options
  • 17-09-2007 12:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭

Just looking for a bit of advice. I've gone through a lot of changes in my life in the past few months. Subtle ones they may be they have really changed me as a person and I have gone from being a teenager to an adult, in my eyes at least. I had planned to get a tattoo of a jigsaw piece when I finished college because I figured that would be me becoming an adult and the first 'piece' of my life done. Since I feel I've already reached that point I'm starting to think more about this tattoo. I think just one jigsaw piece might be a bit plain so I wonder if anybody has any advice on how to jazz it up or do you think it would be nice as just a jigsaw piece? Also, do ye know of many/any people with the same tattoo? Won't have much of a bearing on my getting it but I'd like to know. Couldn't find any on the net so far.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

One point would be, what kind of jigsaw piece do you want? If you're starting a project like that, seems like you plan on a patchwork of some kind, which would imply that the whole idea is already laid out, so marking times could be better done with something a little more singular.

Also, planning to get a piece when you reach a pre-anticipated time in your life strikes an awkward chord with me. Maybe wait a while, make sure it's something you want and that you have indeed hit the point where it'd mean something to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭truthinwords

Get family members/people you admires portraits or even just things that are important to you built into the pieces and build it into a jigsaw of images/ portraits like maybe a backpiece. That could be pretty cool and it would be like you're the finished jigsaw as in all the elements of it make up the person.

xtruthx

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭ergonomics

Also, planning to get a piece when you reach a pre-anticipated time in your life strikes an awkward chord with me. Maybe wait a while, make sure it's something you want and that you have indeed hit the point where it'd mean something to you.

I actually agree with you. I was thinking about getting a tree/flower to show how much I've grown over the last while when someone reminded me of the jigsaw piece tattoo. Without making a pun, the tattoo fits, I'm not making my life fit it, if that makes sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Well, it's about what you put in your jigsaw piece that builds a concerted picture for you as your life goes on that'd be my main concern. The thing about a jigsaw piece is, as an isolated component, it does nothing, and I could see it being somewhat regretted, but as part of a larger puzzle, it is an excellent idea. However, unless you've the gift of prophecy, you can't say what the rest of this picture of your life will be composed of, and so couldn't really design the jigsaw to fit it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭truthinwords

Have you thought about a clock? That'd could be a nice symbol for transition. Or a Koi what with the whole Koi turning into a dragon in Japanese mythology.

xtruthx

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭Fantasy_Suicide

I love the jigsaw idea. Was I the only one who opened this thread expecting something 'Saw' related? What a movie! Anyways. Where would you be thinking of putting it? And how big do you want it? My opinion is the bigger, the better. The bigger it is, the more detail can go into it. Think about the things that have changed you and come up with a representitive for those things with a picture.

Forgot about this thread. I want to get it done on the top of my bum, basically where the waistband of my jeans sit. I have no idea what else to put on it. When it comes to what changed me, well, it was my boyfriend basically and I can't put him on it! I don't want anything that represents him either. As much as I love him now I don't know what'll happen in a year. The only other idea I had was to get the jigsaw piece done and shaded properly to look like a hole and then have another piece overlapping to look like it's about to slot in, if that makes sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

ergonomics wrote:
    The only other idea I had was to get the jigsaw piece done and shaded properly to look like a hole and then have another piece overlapping to look like it's about to slot in, if that makes sense.
    I actually really like that idea! :D

ergonomics wrote:
    Forgot about this thread. I want to get it done on the top of my bum, basically where the waistband of my jeans sit. I have no idea what else to put on it. When it comes to what changed me, well, it was my boyfriend basically and I can't put him on it! I don't want anything that represents him either. As much as I love him now I don't know what'll happen in a year. The only other idea I had was to get the jigsaw piece done and shaded properly to look like a hole and then have another piece overlapping to look like it's about to slot in, if that makes sense.

It makes sense. It's not my cup of tae, but then again I'm into cartoon ink. :) I reckon you should maybe take the idea to a tattoo artist and have a chat about it? See what the two of you can come up with?

I went and talked to a tattoist today and I realised that when I started wondering what I should put on the jigsaw piece I started having second thoughts about it. I then decided on my original idea, of just the piece itself, and I felt a whole lot better about it. So that's what I decided on. Just the outline of a jigsaw piece. The way I see it, if I want to add more to it I can do it later, rather than go the whole hog and then regret it! I'm going to get it done in Blancolo Tattoo in Glasgow cause I'm living here at the moment!! Dunno if anybody knows anything about it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Beckerss

I really like the idea of a portrait of a loved one, A forver loved one, not lover. But that could be so exciting and beautiful and defintiely one of a kind.

Well, it it's just an outline, it should be grand and easy to do. I'd suggest get it fairly big incase you do want to do something with it in a few months/years.

Well I'm getting this done later on today! Definitely decided on just the outline with a bit of gray shading. The nerves are kicking in as I just printed off the image I want. Will post a picture on 'You show me mine' thread later!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

cool! good luck with it!

This was my 2nd tattoo but I got my 1st a couple of years ago and I can't remember as much about healing as I thought so I'm looking for advice!

First, it's on the top of my bum so my knickers normally sit through the center of it which is making me really paranoid and the scab. When I wore jeans and underwear earlier it was quite painful and after half an hour I looked and realised some of the scab was getting rubbed off. I don't want a faded tattoo so should I cover it while it's still healing? Like with a loose bandage of some sort? Or just wear loose pants? How long will I have to wear loose trousers for, what's the average healing time?

Secondly, I have a weird urge to go to the gym and finally have enough money to do it but I'm guessing I'll have to wait for the tattoo to heal first? Or would I be ok covering it and washing it straight after? I guess I can wait, but I just wanted to get an idea!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

cant give you concrete advice about the first bits, but maybe tracky bottoms could be your friend for a few days, and as for the gym, sweat's not great, but try a waterproof plaster over it.

i stand open to correction though.

Advertisement