Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Surface piercings growing out?

Options
  • 17-09-2007 1:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭

I've been having a bit of a Google for this but have yet to come up with anything particularly useful. What exactly does a piercing growing out entail? Do staple bars decrease the risk of it happening? Thanks!

EDIT : Oh dear god... Just found this link *shudders*

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

means that the piercing is rejecting... staple bars were a failure. Hopefully the bme wiki answerd your question

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

If you catch it in time the scarring isn't too bad. The last surface piercing I got was done with a punch and taper, which made a HUGE difference when it came to healing. If you can find someone who offers this method and does it well, it cuts down on the rejection risk.

Alternatively, try going for microdermals...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

this is the reason ive taken so long (about 4 years) to finally get my nape done. was talking with steve in snakebite about this on saturday and he said that as long as i was prepared to give it a lifetime's worth of good care, i should be able to keep it in. he's asked me to visit him every couple of weeks for the next few months, so he can check up on it, and advise me on the best method of care for the particular level of healing im at at that point. he's even asked me to email my progress when i move to nz, with photos and descriptions of how it feels.

ill almost definitely do all he says, and hopefully i should be good with this anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

he sounds real nice, no piercer has ever taken that much interest in healing (with me anyway). usually just get the handout and left to your own devices once you leave the shop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

Snakebite is good like that, when they did my nape they told me to email them pictures as it healed and to visit them next time I was up to take a look.

• Advertisement

yep, ill be gettin all piercings done there in future methinks (heh, well, up til december :rolleyes: still cant get over this whole "im leaving the country "thing), i only went in to snakebite to laugh at my mate as she got her nose pierced... heh, came out with two holes in my neck :D

ive gone into places asking about napes before, and came out of all them being disheartened and stuff. i didnt wana spend €70 on something that wouldnt last, but steve really did just give me that confidence, so well... here i am :D

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Just reading this thread an have a stupid question regarding nape piercings---how common are they to grow out??
    Ive mine done for nearly 3/4 years now and havent had one days bother with it.It was done with the staple shaped bar.

ive been given from 90% likelihood, to "if you look after it properly, it should last for life".

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭garthv

Hellrazer wrote:
    Just reading this thread an have a stupid question regarding nape piercings---how common are they to grow out??
    Ive mine done for nearly 3/4 years now and havent had one days bother with it.It was done with the staple shaped bar.
    Once the placement is correct and you look after it well, there should be no chance of rejection. I have mine done over 3 years now and I've had no problems with it at all.

If it doesn't start to reject in the first few months then you are doing OK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭rannerap

I'm thinking of going in for a nape myself,i've heard from many people snake bite is the best

• Advertisement

well, my experience there was overwhelmingly positive. haha, yer man has ****ing tonnes of **** to say about other piercers in dublin, but he really did seem to know his ****. im going back in on thur/fri for him to look at it for me, im taking this piercing seriously as its something ive wanted for so long, and i dont wana lose it. particularly as ive waaaay too many scars on my body at this stage, dont want another one thats avoidable.

Advertisement