Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

[Cancer]Dealing with side effects from chemo

• 17-09-2007 4:36am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭

Hi Folks,

I thought I stick up some tips that I had developed to help me cope with the side effects. Feel free to add your own.

1) Mouth ulcers -

During the day -

I mix small amounts of Corsodyl,Fresh burst Listerine and Colgate flouriguard. Then I use this mixture to rinse my mouth. After that I quirt some of that mycostatin oral suspension in my mouth and swallow this. This is to combat the thrush build up.

Night time -

Same setup but before going to bed I squirt some mycostatin into my mouth and I use some surgical tape to tape my month shut. This is to prevent the dreaded dry month syndrome, The Tape I use is 3M transpore. Common sense here is not to use household sellotape. Only medical approved tape. So be warned...

By doing this I managed to get rid of my ulclers and control the thrush build up in a week.

2) Bowel Motions - Instillagel

If you are lucky enough to get some before leaving hospital then apply some aroung the anus before doing the job. Helps a lot if you have runs and developed the old "ring of fire".
    Also a good tip here is to use some Emulsifying ointment to give the anus are a wee massage if you are having difficulties getting the stuff out.
    You can use latex gloves here if your are a bit skimish.

3) After "job" care.

Use Sudocream to cover the itchy patches aound the anus. The stuff is good for babies so it will be okay to use yourself.

Thats all for now...

Later,

S

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

I had Taxotere, Cis-platin and 5-fu as well as Zolodex (to try and save my fertility):

1) Hair loss, if you get taxotere you normally loose your hair 14-16 days after the start of treatment. It is hard to describe how upsetting it is to loose all your hair in clumps so get it cut very short before hand. Also, get a wig ready as soon as you know that you are on taxotere, you may not use it in the end (I only used mine for 3 months) but sometimes it is nice just to be normal and not have people staring.

2) Have a massage about a week after the chemo is over (if you are medically allowed to - ask!), it helps get rid of the fizzy feeling and will enable you to sleep.

3) Try not eating as much when you are getting to the part of your chemo that you know you will feel very sick for, it may sound obvious but it really helps!

Advertisement