Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Brazil to play at Bogball HQ

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

Killme00 wrote:
    I will speak to the chairman or secretary of my club tonight and ask their opinion on this. I refuse to belive that backing was unanimous, it just doesnt make sense

please do. because there was a motion to support them and it was unanimous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Killme00

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-football/no-resolution-in-sight-as-rovers-and-thomas-davis-maintain-their-stance-43938.html

Does this article cover to issue or does more need to be added. Is it true that Shamrock Rovers members are paying every month by direct debit the costs to keep their club alive. This is very admirable and something which should ring true with all GAA fans who for years raised money for their clubs to build pitches. Also i understand the visual impact of a soccer pitch when laid out on a full size gaa pitch, but is it really so obejectionable. Surely playing Dublin senior football league and championship matches on said pitch would raise money for stadium costs and add further value to the stadium and surrounding community and its economy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭stooge

Thats unfair. Rangers and Linfield have done a great deal to irradicate bigotry and tribalism amongst their support.

Its some form of virtue in the caveman sports the Gah administer.

I really lol'd at this. Have you been to a rangers or linfield game recently? Have you ever been to one? Be honest now.

I was at Linfield against Newry last season and the amount of secarian abuse and paramilitary flags was sickening. Also, maybe you are choosing to forget but Rangers have been repeatedly fined and warned over the past two season about sectarian and racist chanting at european games. If I can be bothered to search for the links on the bbc website I'll post them.

As for this soccer vs GAA debate. I play only soccer now but used to play GAA. I'm not a huge follower of football or hurling but was pleased to see Croke Pk opened up for the rugby and soccer. Now, while there may be a few people within the GAA who still hold 'backward' opinions, I think the GAA have went through more change (for the better) in the last few years than either Rangers or Linfield or the FAI. If only the FAI had changed with the times and adapted like the GAA, there might be a national stadium, a half decent manager and the prospect of going to Austria next year to cheer on the Irish team and not the Polish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

Killme00 wrote:
    http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-football/no-resolution-in-sight-as-rovers-and-thomas-davis-maintain-their-stance-43938.html

Does this article cover to issue or does more need to be added. Is it true that Shamrock Rovers members are paying every month by direct debit the costs to keep their club alive. This is very admirable and something which should ring true with all GAA fans who for years raised money for their clubs to build pitches. Also i understand the visual impact of a soccer pitch when laid out on a full size gaa pitch, but is it really so obejectionable. Surely playing Dublin senior football league and championship matches on said pitch would raise money for stadium costs and add further value to the stadium and surrounding community and its economy.

The inherent issue is that to incorporate a GAA pitch, the stand and foundations for the rest of the site, as well as the undersoil drainaige will have to be ripped up and the entire process, design, planning etc begun from scratch. There is no ideological opposition to the GAA sharing the facility, but an extra 5 years and €15m for what would amount to a 2,000 seat facilty is seen as unreasonable from all involved. To put this in context the current plan will see a state of the art 10,000 seater stadium that all the underage internationals, womens internationals and schools finals will be played in for €3m.

TD stated in court they dont plan to use the ground, and it would be way too small for the Dubs and Rovers, so whats the point of destroying a perfectly good facility at that additional cost to the taxpayer? How much would it cost to put 2,000 seats on TD's main pitch? less than €15m i bet!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Lads, if I see another thread like this started and fed, there will be slaps.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement