Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

U2- cool or not

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,981 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Nailz wrote:
    U2= Shít. End of story...

Then why use an ellipsis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭tech77

Giblet wrote:
    :D

Giblet wrote:
    I think U2 are great, their latest stuff isn't really, but I mean, no-one judges Led Zeppelin on Presence now do they?

Achtung Baby is a great album, if you haven't listened to that at least all the way through, you shouldn't really comment.

And certain types of music being above or below you? You're talking through your arse! I listen to crazy ass jazz , and nice gentle pop stuff. It doesn't mean I'm above any one, or any music is above anyone. At least provide real criticism beyond "I don't like Bono, Edge uses delay and he's crap".

Totally agree with you about Achtung Baby.
    If you don't like U2 even after listening to it well then you'll probably never like U2.

BTW i used to be snobbish myself when it came to music and this thread brings it all back- what a waste of time and energy music-snobbery is.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

Giblet wrote:
    I don't know actually... :eek: Mmmm... well there you go.

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭ChuckProphet

I think with U2 you could take all their decent songs and make a pretty good double album out of it. A bit like REM in that regard. They have some decent tunes but I wouldn't rate them in the top 50 bands of all time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Driver 8

I reckon you could take REM's decent tunes and make about 12 albums out of them :p

They're a far better albums band than U2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

I listined to most U2 albums I used to be a fan but my tastes changed over the year sand now the only album I would concider listining to is Actung Baby and its been at least 2 years since Ive heard that. All that you cant leave behind was so untoribly bad its stained all thier other stuff with a venir of crap and most of it wasnt that good to begin with.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

U2 = unbelievably good.

It's just "cool" to say that you don't like them IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 4,452 ✭✭✭Rigsby

besty wrote:

It's just "cool" to say that you don't like them IMO

This has been said a few times in this thread. Why is it cool :confused::confused:

You either like them or you dont. Nothing to do with being cool IMO.

Every band that attains the level of success U2 have always get attacked, its natural given the level of exposure such success entails. Look at Snow Patrol, a largely unknown indie band, the only ones commenting on them a few years ago were their fans. Now, with them on daytime radio every hour and selling shedloads of albums, it means more people hear them, and as such, more people to love them, and much more people to hate them.

Indie and punk are particularly bad for attacking anyone who achieves a level of success though, to be fair.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

FAO Lordgoat- I'm sure you'll like this . . . http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6b_0Ji_7WU . . . beautiful :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

bubonicus wrote:
    I don't like U2. I never have, Their music just bores me. If that's cool or not, that's for the cool kids to decide.

I like a lot of U2's music, but I can't f**kin stand Bono! He's such a pain in the a**e.

He's a musician, NOT a bloody politician. I wish he'd shut up and just make music.:D

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

FAO Lordgoat- I'm sure you'll like this . . . http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6b_0Ji_7WU . . . beautiful :)

I'm amazed it's taken you so long. The fact they like cohen pisses me off more than most things about them!

The fact that marths wainwrights cover of TOS got bumped off the DVD for their piece of sh-it is a travesty.

but I can't f**kin stand Bono!

He's a musician,

That's stretching it a bit dont you think :p

lordgoat wrote:
    I'm amazed it's taken you so long. The fact they like cohen pisses me off more than most things about them!

The fact that marths wainwrights cover of TOS got bumped off the DVD for their piece of sh-it is a travesty.

forgot about that duet, hadnt seen it since the film came out. maybe wat should piss ya off is that as well as them liking Cohen, he obviously likes them :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

Driver 8 wrote:
    Every band that attains the level of success U2 have always get attacked, its natural given the level of exposure such success entails. Look at Snow Patrol, a largely unknown indie band, the only ones commenting on them a few years ago were their fans. Now, with them on daytime radio every hour and selling shedloads of albums, it means more people hear them, and as such, more people to love them, and much more people to hate them.

Indie and punk are particularly bad for attacking anyone who achieves a level of success though, to be fair.
    Not really applicable to every band tbh. Look at Radiohead for example. They have very few haters. Most people who don't like them at least respect them in some way. People into their music tend to be able to tell the difference between what is actually a credible contribution to music and what is just something generic or that's been done before.

You're right, people into their music will be able to give that insight, but their popularity has also meant that every person who doesn't like them, from my experience, referring to them as "wrist-cutter rock" and "student ****e". Only because they're big enough to have been exposed to those type of criticisms.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

I don't like there music, and I definatly don't like Bono. He's a pop star playing with a crap band, not a polition!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

forgot about that duet, hadnt seen it since the film came out. maybe wat should piss ya off is that as well as them liking Cohen, he obviously likes them :)

Nah, he's ancient and most probably senile. More than likely he hadn't a clue they were even there!!!

keep telling yourself that :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭keefg

I think U2 are a great band musically........

As for cool, Larry is the only cool member of U2 :cool: , all the rest are eejits.

And as it's well documented that it's "Larry's band" he should keep most of their earnings himself and pay those other 3 session lads 250 a week :D .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

10 moderatley successful Irish rock bands instead of U2 anyday.

Just any band? dont really get ur point tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭gcgirl

i loved U2 in 1987 anything after the joshua tree is nonscence bar rattle & hum! 1987 they were at their best i loved the song ''exit'' the build up in that song was amazing and most if not all the songs off the joshua tree were and stil are amazing U2 should have just retired then to live off their money!

gcgirl wrote:
    i loved U2 in 1987 anything after the joshua tree is nonscence bar rattle & hum! 1987 they were at their best i loved the song ''exit'' the build up in that song was amazing and most if not all the songs off the joshua tree were and stil are amazing U2 should have just retired then to live off their money!

really - no acthung baby? One? Mysterious Ways? The Fly?

The madness of it all :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭gcgirl

really - no acthung baby? One? Mysterious Ways? The Fly?

The madness of it all :)

thought Acthung baby was crap! sorry

gcgirl wrote:
    thought Acthung baby was crap! sorry

No please don't say that.
    Crap no, Darkly introspective and beautiful yes.
    Take a listen to tracks like Zoostation (what an amazing fcuking intro..), Ultraviolet (light my Way) or just 'One'.

tech77 wrote:
    No please don't say that.
    Crap no, Darkly introspective and beautiful yes.
    Take a listen to tracks like Zoostation (what an amazing fcuking intro..), Ultraviolet (light my Way) or just 'One'.

Why cant people just accept that a lot (judging from this thread) of people DONT LIKE U2 :D

Because They're Awesome!!!!!!

• Advertisement

Because They're Awesome!!!!!!

........ in your opinion !! ;)

Advertisement