Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

problem with new graphics card

Options
  • 17-09-2007 8:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭

I Installed a new PCI express graphics card last night. Gainward 8600 526mb. I bought it from Komplett. The PC will not boot up correctly now. There appears to be rows of dots over the vista loading screen and that is as far as it goes. The motherboard is makes some extra beeps on boot up too.

I have re-installed the old card and there are no problems there. I checked the card seating and that the power connection, no issues. Is there anything that I can do? what do you think?

I guess all I can do is return it.

7.8kwp South facing, Slane.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

You sure the PSU is powerful enough?

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭dclifford

I was just wondering that. I have a Thermaltake Silent Purepower 560W.
    I had a quick google to see if I could find anything on it. The card I got comes with a 6 pin power adapter lead, It has 2 connections on the end for HDD power supplies. The power supply that I have has a PCI-ex power connector on it, so I used that since I used it on the old power supply. It now seems that I have to use the adaptor supplies and connect up to 2 HDD power connectors.
    Does this seem normal? Could this be the fix?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

Are you certain that it had a PCI-e power connector and you did not plug in the wrong one check the end of the adapter that came with the card to see if the PCI-e plug matches the one from your power supply just in case.

Normally you should not have to use such an adapter it is provided in case your power supply does not feature the PCI-e power connector.

I used the power connector that I used for the old card. The power supply had a label to say it was the PCI power connector.
    Images 7,8,9 and 10 in the link show the 2 options.http://www.gainward.net/support/support_uk_install.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

dclifford wrote:
    I was just wondering that. I have a Thermaltake Silent Purepower 560W.
    I had a quick google to see if I could find anything on it. The card I got comes with a 6 pin power adapter lead, It has 2 connections on the end for HDD power supplies. The power supply that I have has a PCI-ex power connector on it, so I used that since I used it on the old power supply. It now seems that I have to use the adaptor supplies and connect up to 2 HDD power connectors.
    Does this seem normal? Could this be the fix?

You should be able to just use the 6pin cable from the psu. I have a 8800gtx, and it requires 2 of these, and i dont have to use the adaptors, just the 2 6pin power cables.

Before the card you have now, which card did you have before. Was it a Nvidia, or a ATI card. Or possibly onboard video. As you will have to remove the drivers first, and then install the new drivers for you new card.

If you were using onboard video, you will have to go into the bios and disable "onboard video"

• Advertisement

I was using an MSI Radeon X850XT, but I have the drivers for the new Nvidia installed. Do you think there is a conflict? Thanks for the suggestion Anti.

So now I have 2 things to check. The power supply and the old card drivers.
    Since I am having trouble booting up the PC, what are my options to remove the old drivers. Can I boot up in safemode and remove them. should I remove the drivers for both cards and attempt to install them from scratch.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

I've got a Corsair 520W PSU with a 8600 256MB and it runs without any issue, so I don't think it's a PSU problem.

I'll have a look at the connectors tonight if I think of it, but from what I recall there's only one 6 pin connector on the card that I plug into.

Ok, I tried a few things and no change:
    I connected the power connector with 2 HHD power connectors
    I left the power connector disconnected
    I re-installed the old card and removed the drivers for the old card and the new card. Then installed the new card again, still would not boot up.

If I start in safe mode I get the screen as in the image attached (rows of dots), but the PC will not do anything.
    The other image is on the bios screen, again you can see the rows of dots.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Are you still getting the beeps on POST? Have you checked what they mean?

That is seriously messed up. By any chance can you test the new card in a different pc, to see if the problem is that. I dont think its the powersupply, what you have will easilly run a 8800gtx. Christ, its been proven 500W is enough for 2 8800gtx's in SLI. The only thing i can think of is that the psu's 12v rail(s) is/are weak/unstable. If you can try the card and psu in a different pc.

• Advertisement

I sent a mail to komplett and they autoreplied. Does this mean that I have to go through the return an Item section on Komplett or do I wait to be contacted first?

Dear Sir,
    We have applied for the RMA for you in our system.
    Our engineer will now check the details and will send you an email shortly when the RMA application is processed.

as the email said, wait to be contacted first.

Advertisement