Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Adding RAM caused Vista to "de-activate"

• 17-09-2007 8:24am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

I went from 2 gigs ram to 4 gigs in my Alienware laptop today (see sig), and Vista Ultimate 64 bit (System builders, OEM, version from New Egg) "deactivated" and gave me that "You have 3 days to activate windows or it will stop working..." error message.

So, of course, I click Activate Windows, use the on line option, and I get another error message saying "This version of windows has already been activated on another PC... click here to buy a new copy of Windows". Can you believe that crap??!!

So, I try several more times, get the same error, and then I try the "activate with the telephone option", in lieu of calling customer support for 59 bucks.

A screen pops up with a 1-800 number to call, and a long code of numbers generated. I call the number, and was routed to somewhere in India. The woman asked me for the numbers on my screen, which i read, and she then said that my product key has already been activated on another computer. I said, "no, it is my same computer, I just added more ram." Finally, she reads me a string of numbers to input into the window, and then wala, my Vista Ultimate 64 bit activated again.

What a joke. Suppose I want to benchmark my computer with 2 gigs vs 4 gigs. Am I going to have to go through this each time? Suppose my laptop gets banged around a bit, and one ram dimm comes loose, so the next time I boot it, it has 2 gigs instead of 4. Same freaking hassle. Microsoft really needs to loosen this s h I T up.

And they wonder why guys have the nerve to pirate and hack their OS...

Sorry for the rant.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭mathias

I had the same problem replacing a broken DVD writer , its not supposed to happen , its a bug in the vista activation software , with OEM your only supposed to have to reactivate on Major components like the motherboard etc.

Still , they were nice enough when I rang them , so no real harm done , it is a nuisance though , and unfortunately yes , if you switch back and forth it will happen again.

Advertisement