Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

can anyone help me with this excel problem

• 17-09-2007 9:17am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,356 ✭✭✭

This is wrecking my head, I'm making a spread sheet with serial numbers on it for the Boss and some of them start with 0 (zero) and some with more then 1 zero.

But Excel keeps on removing it and i cant figure out how to stop excel from doing this.

does anyone know ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

You can set the format on the cells so that it always displays a fixed number of digits.

However, if the data is copied or moved, it'll be the raw that's moved, not the formatting.

To do this - highlight the column containing the serial numbers. Go to Format > Cells...
    In the first tab, select the "Custom" category, and in the "Type" field, input as many zeroes as the serial number should have. That is, if all serial numbers should be eight digits, then input "00000000" (without quotes) in this field.

Then all numbers entered in this column will always have at least 8 digits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 589 ✭✭✭danjo

You can also use an apostrophe before the leading zeros. This will not show up in the cell but will retain the zero values. The apostrophe is above the "@" on my keyboard. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,356 ✭✭✭NeVeR

Thanks guy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Dorsanty

Format cells as text and excel will stop dropping the leading zeros.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭David Michael

Dorsanty wrote:
    Format cells as text and excel will stop dropping the leading zeros.

Indeed.

I work with automotive part numbers... Setting the format to text is the standard fix for numbers begining with zero's.

• Advertisement
Advertisement