Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Album of the Week #7 - Rory Gallagher - Calling Card

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Ah, c'mon Karl, you know there's better Rory stuff out there than that :p

Here's a live of the albums opening track, Do You Read Me, OK, he seems to have completely left out the first verse in favour of a few guitar solos, but hey, these things happen :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ECMzXBQ3t4&mode=related&search=#

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭ec18

This is my second favourite RG album.....Deuce at number 1......has my favourite song though....grape and barley rag

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Ah, c'mon Karl, you know there's better Rory stuff out there than that :p

I don't actually... I rarely listen to the guy tbh. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate his talent, just never really clicked with me I guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Yeah, know what you mean, the same feelings come to me when people start talking about Pearl Jam or Radiohead....

But Rory is just great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭damonjewel

Great album and well deserved album of the week. When people talk about the great white blues guitarists of the late 60's e.g. Peter Green, Eric Clapton, Jeff Beck, Jimmy Page I always think that Rory's easily placed among them in that league but never seems to be rated as such. He had many different styles and his skill with a slide guitar must easily make him to be one of the best slide guitarists ever. I Had the opportunity to see him live in 1987 in the ******* and he was magnificent, and unforgetable.

I think for my generation he was an inspiration to pick up the Guitar and wail, I remember in the early 80's RTE showed a concert of his live from Germany with a synchronised stereo broadcast on Radio 2. It blew me away and All I wanted to do after that is be a lead guitarist.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

Great album and great guitarist. Even better live too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭gucci

"ladeees and gentlemen rory gallagher"

great album, but i prefer listening to the live stuff as it brought across better what he really was about, a sensational performer and entertainer. one of the best ever guitarists and in my opinion irelands best ever guitarist (we had a vote on this a while back!) i guess this album contains moonchild (i forget) but i love against the grain album and his live in berlin one,

Advertisement