Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Reinstalled latop. Batter goes flat on standby

• 17-09-2007 9:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭

Folks,

I reinstalled my laptop with Windows. I downloaded all of the drivers I could as the original CD I got with it was badly scratched and no longer worked.

When I shutdown the laptop or put it in standby mode it drains the battery. It never did this before. Any ideas what might be causing this?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

If its in Standby it will drain your battery as its using power.
    What type of latop is it and how long is it taking to drain the battery?

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Dopey

jonny24ie wrote:
    If its in Standby it will drain your battery as its using power.
    What type of latop is it and how long is it taking to drain the battery?

Thanks for the reply Jonny.

The laptop is about four years old. It was working fine until the hard disk failed a month ago. I replaced the hard disk and installed Windows.

The battery will work for about an hour under normal usage. When I shut it down (with 80% batter power remaining) the laptop switches back on a few hours later with a warning beep indicating that the battery is flat. It then continues beeping and switches off when it's completely flat.

It didn't drain the battery when shut down or in standby mode in the past.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Standby suspends the processor, but keeps it ticking over in a low power mode, like when you put your TV or DVD on standby. So it will drain your battery. If it is draining more than usual, you may be missing some drivers or power-management software.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

tom dunne wrote:
    Standby suspends the processor, but keeps it ticking over in a low power mode, like when you put your TV or DVD on standby. So it will drain your battery. If it is draining more than usual, you may be missing some drivers or power-management software.

Also the power setting could be set to desktop and not notebook so take a look at that and see if it makes a difference! I know I had a similar problem but if its a dell standard battery then its normal enough.

Advertisement