Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Week 2 - thoughts?

Options
  • 17-09-2007 10:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭

Seahawks came back from 17 down to lead 20-17. Cardinals FG for 20-20. Seahawks had the ball on the Cardinals 41 at the 2MW with two timeouts. Then an absolute shocker of a fumble and the Cardinals run up the middle a few times and score the FG to win. Unbelievable.

Only other game I saw was the Pats handing San Diego their arses.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭kensutz

Managed to get home in time to see the Titans lose to the Colts. Being a Titans fan I thought we might have been able to sneak a win but Young got caught out on the last play of the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭dougal

giddyup wrote:
    Then an absolute shocker of a fumble and the Cardinals run up the middle a few times and score the FG to win. Unbelievable.

That usually happens the other way around for the Cardinals!
    Nice to finally win one in those circumstances.

It looks like the NFC West is going to be wide open this year.
    Mainly because the teams are all poor.

I have some hope for my Cards though the offensive line is getting there - no sacks yesterday and James able to get 100 yards. Leinart needs to be more consistent. The defence is worryingly inconcistent but showing some signs of life.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭jaarius

The Colts have yet to find their form. The had one ridiculous drive but other than that I thought the Titans matched up pretty well. On the last play Young needed to release the ball pretty much straight away and I don't think he has that in him.

Trent Green I imagine is hiding under the covers this morning. Dallas looked really good though. I was looking forward to big things from them and they are proving they have some game.

NO? What the hell is going on there? I have Bush in my fantasy team and after 2 games he has no value so I can't even get a half decent trade for him. I expected a bit more of a tough year for the Saints but they haven't even shown up.

I should be getting a copy of the Pats game soon enough but from the reports San Diego were completely out played. Ghosts of last season are haunting them I guess.

j

• Registered Users Posts: 11,053 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

What the hell happened with the Browns? They won like, with lots of touchdowns... And no Brady Quinn....

Also, Texans seem to look good, nice start at least... Must have been galling for David Carr to watch his old team actually being good..

Also, I only read about it, but seems harsh the way Oakland's game ended, with them scoring a field goal in overtime, only to be whistled back cos the Broncos called a timeout.. They missed the retake of it... As i said, harsh...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

dulpit wrote:
    Also, I only read about it, but seems harsh the way Oakland's game ended, with them scoring a field goal in overtime, only to be whistled back cos the Broncos called a timeout.. They missed the retake of it... As i said, harsh...
    I watched that bit live last night. Nailed the first attempt. Broncos called for time out just one second before the snap. its hard enough getting one 52 yarder and Janukowski (sp?) made a great attempt at the second and it hit the top of the upright

Nice to see the lions go 2-0

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,682 ✭✭✭Trampas

Grossman. How can the Bears have him as their QB.

He is ok but not great. Defo not Superbowl winning material.

He should have hammered the chiefs.

I feel the bears rely to much on their defence to but them in good field position.

I think Dallas might do well this year once they stay fit.

Backed them to win Division 6/4

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭heyjude

The Chargers seem badly out of sorts, they were lucky in week one that the Bears have no offence, but they got walloped last night. Is it just that Tomlinson and Rivers are out of form, or is it the Norv Turner effect ?

I suspect its a large dose of the latter, as Redskins and Raiders fans will testify, Norv may be a great offensive co-ordinators(see Dallas in the superbowl years), but as a head coach, he is pretty poor.

I heard that Raiders fans cheered when they heard Turner had been appointed head coach in San Diego, nothing like a bad head coach to help bring some parity to a division !

And what about last years' other star RB Stephen Jackson, he's also had a poor start despite setting himself a preseason target of gaining 2,000yds this season ?

Who'd have thought pre-season that after 2 weeks, the Rams and Saints would be 0-2 and the Lions and Texans would be 2-0, or that the Chargers would have just 28pts to show for their opening 2 games, while the Raiders have 41pts :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Thoughts?

Josh McCown is ****ing useless.

Thoughts?

Josh McCown is ****ing useless.

True, how can a quarterback with a cracked index finger on his throwing hand and an injured ankle be the starter over a healthy 3 time pro bowler ?

No matter how well McCown knows the system, he isn't fit and he throws too many ints. Mind you, the wide receivers didn't help much when he was under pressure and they didn't show for a dumpoff pass.

McCown is a bit of a tease, he'll drop the team in a hole with ints and poor throws, then help lift them with a comeback, but then fails to get the job done.

Still, at least the Chiefs and Chargers lost too(admittedly against tough opposition).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭Lirange

The Saints are in trouble if they don't fix their problems on the O-line.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,355 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

heyjude wrote:
    True, how can a quarterback with a cracked index finger on his throwing hand and an injured ankle be the starter over a healthy 3 time pro bowler ?

No matter how well McCown knows the system, he isn't fit and he throws too many ints. Mind you, the wide receivers didn't help much when he was under pressure and they didn't show for a dumpoff pass.

McCown is a bit of a tease, he'll drop the team in a hole with ints and poor throws, then help lift them with a comeback, but then fails to get the job done.

Still, at least the Chiefs and Chargers lost too(admittedly against tough opposition).

I hate to say it, because I understand how fans naturally tend to clutch at straws in bad times, but Culpepper is unlikely to be the answer to the Raider's problems. He hasn't had a good season in, well, seasons. The rumours are that he was very disinterested and unmotivated in Miami last year. He traditionally throws lots of picks himself; and he has always had problems protecting the ball. The real answer to your problems is, you know, the youngfella Russell. Get all the contractual disputes sorted and get him on the field this season - and you might have a good season to look forward to in a couple of years time.

My concern is the Jets. We have lots of ifs and buts the past few years. Yesterday's regarded the question of whether we win that game with a healthy Pennington? Whether we would or wouldn't, it is quite clear that a better than expected season = a significantly tougher schedule = a neccesity to lower pre - season expectations. Not looking like a playoff team thus far.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Lirange wrote:
    The Saints are in trouble if they don't fix their problems on the O-line.
    I think their secondary is a bigger problem. Did you see Joe Galloway's TDs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 cpk

Josh "Krusty" McClown being played for week 2 seemed a real strange choice to me, considering his injury and the plays used. And even on that, when his effectiveness wasn't panning out by a poor show on the Denver side you'd think they'd have played Culpepper for the final quarter.

Sure Daunte won't be the answer to the Raiders problems, they're too many, but he proved himself in preseason to receive a bit more respect than he's getting. He's the best he's been since 2004 (not that that's hard).

As for Russell, throwing him in probably October (Raiders are crazy) should be an interesting spectacle. Fail or succeed, the column inches in papers U.S. side will be filled. (btw I had to autopick for this year's draft and ended up with Russell as a 3rd QB, got a real kick out of that).

cpk wrote:
    Josh "Krusty" McClown being played for week 2 seemed a real strange choice to me, considering his injury and the plays used. And even on that, when his effectiveness wasn't panning out by a poor show on the Denver side you'd think they'd have played Culpepper for the final quarter.

Sure Daunte won't be the answer to the Raiders problems, they're too many, but he proved himself in preseason to receive a bit more respect than he's getting. He's the best he's been since 2004 (not that that's hard).

As for Russell, throwing him in probably October (Raiders are crazy) should be an interesting spectacle. Fail or succeed, the column inches in papers U.S. side will be filled. (btw I had to autopick for this year's draft and ended up with Russell as a 3rd QB, got a real kick out of that).

With the running game showing signs of improvement(not hard!), all the Raiders need is a competent QB who is accurate with short passes and doesn't throw interceptions or fumble. It may not win them the Superbowl(though they got close with Gannon), but they might be 2-0 now if McCown was such a player.

There are rumours that Culpepper was signed by Al Davis, which is why Kiffin is sticking with McCown despite his lousy stats. Its about who's the boss.

I'd love to see Russell given a chance later in the season, its hard to see how he could finish with worse stats than McCown has now and if Michael Bush was given a run too, then they'd be worth watching, whether they win or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

Patriots are going to win the superbowl.

They really took the piss out of the chargers. i thought the chargers would be no 1 or 2 this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,053 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

RuggieBear wrote:
    Patriots are going to win the superbowl.

They really took the piss out of the chargers. i thought the chargers would be no 1 or 2 this year.

Ya the patriots look scary good if you compare them to the likes of the chargers, who were supposed to be their big challenger... I reckon they'll be pushing for the superbowl come season's end (pats i mean) but will they win it?

Dunno, probably though...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

brady to moss and that other receiver, weekler (?) looked like they'ed being playing together for years.

There's a long way to go before anyone wins anything. But the Patriots have started well.

Moss is a joy to watch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭Its So Easy

LuckyLloyd wrote:
    There's a long way to go before anyone wins anything. But the Patriots have started well.

Moss is a joy to watch.

That is very true. On another board a Colts fan was booking tickets for Arizona after week one.

And my thoughts on week two is what is going on with Mcnabb and the Eagles. 0-2 is not good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

My prediction for the pats is that Brady will start to rely on Moss too much in the first 6-8 games and then Moss will pull a hammy or another injury that sidelines him and the patriots offense flattens out.

Fingers crossed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

Mustangs wrote:
    My prediction for the pats is that Brady will start to rely on Moss too much in the first 6-8 games and then Moss will pull a hammy or another injury that sidelines him and the patriots offense flattens out.

Fingers crossed.

With an O-line protecting Tom the way they have over the last 2 weeks doubt it and Welker has proved vital also. You Big man are just sad Randy couldnt do it for your Purple **** eaters :) Moss wants a bowl so does the Patriots and Tom Brady. What Moss will do is eventually open up every other receiver for Brady to throw to as eventually every other team will realise Moss is back to his good form and double cover him. Everybody keeps saying its all moss but Big man look at the O-line in the last 2 games man they gave TB ten years to throw the ball. He could have put a steak on the BBQ and ate it with the time he was given.

Ya. The time and space Brady has gotten in the pocket the last two weeks is just ridiculous. Harrington would win a couple of games for you if he had that amount of time and that receiving core to work with (not that I'm disparaging Brady in anyway - but it needs to be said).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭death1234567

Trampas wrote:
    Grossman. How can the Bears have him as their QB.
    He is ok but not great.
    He's not even okay. He's awful and will end up costing Lovie smith his job IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

LuckyLloyd wrote:
    Ya. The time and space Brady has gotten in the pocket the last two weeks is just ridiculous. Harrington would win a couple of games for you if he had that amount of time and that receiving core to work with (not that I'm disparaging Brady in anyway - but it needs to be said).

In my long rant I mentioned that. Giving Brady that time and corners giving Moss or Welker space is dangerous for any D. One of the plays against the jets Brady threw to Welker who was running a slant 7 seconds Brady had to stand there and decide and Welker used this time to gain more yards. Pats O-line is phenomanal at the minute doing the job the Colts O-line does for Manning giving him time. Brady or Manning with that kind of time is asking for trouble every receiver is an option. Average a QB should have is 3-4 secs 7 secs is a lifetime in the pocket.

Advertisement