Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Find out if you have points before notification letter

Options
  • 17-09-2007 10:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,
    I've read here before that points can be applied up to 6 months after the offence has occurred. I still have a clean sheet, but only to the best of my knowledge. I'm driving a lot more now and rack up quite a few miles. In the space of 6 months I could even do about 20-30K which is 2-3 years driving for the average motorist with plenty of opportunities of getting points here and there with mounted cameras etc, that you wouldn't know about until you're notified in the post or however it works.

The whole idea of points is to cop people on, so shouldn't they aim to notify people asap?

Is there any way you can check up on yourself? I've done about 7K in the last 2 months so would love to know if my sheet is still clean;) It should be of course, but just incase:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

The points are only applied once you have paid the fine and it's been processed, so if you haven't been notified of any speeding offences, you won't know if you have points.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Ah ok, never knew that, so is there any way you can avoid waiting up to 6 months to find out about offences? Is there anywhere you can check say once a week or so to see if you've been snapped by a fixed camera etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

cormie wrote:
    Ah ok, never knew that, so is there any way you can avoid waiting up to 6 months to find out about offences? Is there anywhere you can check say once a week or so to see if you've been snapped by a fixed camera etc?
    Yet another indication that cameras are about money and not safety.

MrP

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

seamus wrote:
    The points are only applied once you have paid the fine and it's been processed, so if you haven't been notified of any speeding offences, you won't know if you have points.
    I paid my fine the day I got my speeding ticket. It then took 4-5months before the letter arrived in the door to tell me my points were starting from that week.

That is a long bloody time to process my fine and points :mad:

Advertisement