Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maghermore Beach?

Options
  • 17-09-2007 11:16am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29

Hi All,

I have done some surf lessons down in Clare and dying to get out again on a surf board. Just checking for some good beaches near Dublin to go to for practice.
    I've heard Maghermore Beach is good, does anyone know how exactly to get there?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭yank_in_eire

Magheramore beach is awful. You'd learn faster by driving west and trying to find some more consistent waves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭tippbhoy

Bex01 wrote:
    Hi All,

I have done some surf lessons down in Clare and dying to get out again on a surf board. Just checking for some good beaches near Dublin to go to for practice.
    I've heard Maghermore Beach is good, does anyone know how exactly to get there?

Maghermore is just about tolerable at certain times which is about the best the east has to offer near Dublin. Only good at certain times, there were a few small ones to be caught the evening i was down there. It's about 10 minutes drive after Wicklow town in the direction of Brittas Bay. Look for a big gate on the left just beside a farmyard. You need to walk about 7 minutes to the beach from the road.
    If you hit a T junction with Brittas to the left then you've gone too far.

Will you let us know what the surf was like?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭ReefBreak

Works best between November to February. You'll sometimes get a southern Atlantic storm between those months.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭sicruise

Are you actually serious? I've never seen anything on Maghermore or Magherbeage big enough to see let alone ride? Killiney Bay can be good at times... but yes suggestions to head west should really be considered! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭dap75au

Meagharamore can get pretty busy, I've seen 20-30 guys out there when it's working....well east coast working anyways :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Bex01

Thanks for the replies, I ended up going down to Brittas Bay, it's a really nice beach there but hardly any waves. I only could catch one wave, the rest wern't really worth it.
    Think I'll just arrange weekends down on the west coast.

Thanks again :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭DAVE_K

I lived in Dublin for years and moved to a house beside the beach in Killiney for 3 years thinking I'd find surf there. I got White Rocks good (good for east coast that is) a couple of times and the beach in Killiney good once or twice. I spent toooooo much time and money driving down to Magheramore on the off chance there'd be waves. At the end of the day the East Coast is pretty sh1te. You'd almost want to sit on the beach 24/7 waiting for decent waves to come......and when they do come it's usually wind swell so you have to deal with the wind that comes. I've been in the water in Magheramore before with about 20 people - all waiting for the sort of ripple you wouldn't bother changing into your wetsuit on the west coast for. As someone above said yer better off to hop in the car and peg it west. Waterford is a drivable distance too (even better if your living Southside), there's a couple of waves in Wexford that work sometimes too. Up north is an option too.
    If you do go to Magheramore and there is messy conditions - take a walk through the field there on the south side of the beach

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

DAVE_K wrote:
    If you do go to Magheramore and there is messy conditions - take a walk through the field there on the south side of the beach

Thanks for that Dave. The road from Dublin to Sligo is really good now, two to a two and a half hour drive.

After stong overnight NORTHERLY winds Portmarnock can work really well (for the East coast)

I live right beside Dollymount and rarely it can work well. I just can't work out what conditions make it work. A couple of weekends I was out in a four foot swell with an offshore wind, really nice.

(but as you say this is after going to the beach every day to check)

Advertisement