Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Internet Supervision for 13 year old boy

Options
  • 17-09-2007 11:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭

Hey folks,

We recently had a 13 year old boy visit us and he wanted to use the internet. He was playing an online role playing game called Runescape. I'm familliar with the genre, but not this game in particular.

My question is this: What level of supervision would be appropriate for this type of internet activity for a 13 year old boy? Should I have allowed him to play it at all? He's obviously played it many times before as his game character was quite developed. The computer was in an open environment and the screen was visible to all. I was sitting beside him for the most part.

What concerns me is the ability to communicate (free text chat) with other players... there are obvious hazards associated with this. How do you supervise this short of reading everything he types?

Has anyone any thoughts?

Thanks,

Di11on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

There's a program called naomi that's free and monitors network traffic for inappropriate content. I have it installed for my nephew. Works a treat for browsers....just shuts it down if you attempt to access inappropriate content.

Anyone playing online games is gonna be exposed to (mostly idiotic 16 year old twats) people who swear etc.

The only way to avoid this is to prevent them playing the game, or investigate the possibility of an in-game swear filter.

In general though, it's nice enough out there in internet game world.

Advertisement