Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just moved in house, no lease signed yet, can I leave and get my deposit back?

Options
  • 17-09-2007 11:46am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

I was desperate to find a room in a flatshare, so I grabbed a a room in a house. The landlord want me to sign a year-long lease. So far I've been there two weeks and I hate the place(messy housemates), I've paid one month rent and one month deposit via bank transfer. But I haven't signed any lease yet. what's the story with me deciding to move out at the end of the month? will I get the deposit back?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭sharpsuit

Best thing for you is not to sign the lease (you don't have to). Give the landlord 28 days notice in writing that you want to end the tenancy. You don't have to give a reason and you will be entitled to your deposit back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

yip, once you haven't signed anything to the contrary, 28 days is all you have to give. means you might lose a week or two's rent that you were hoping to keep, but you should get hte deposit back no problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 shivan82

So I don't have to sign a lease? The landlord wants me too but keeps on saying next week. Does that mean I can legally refuse to sign a lease?

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭sharpsuit

Yes, you are not obliged to sign a lease. You are a tenant because you have paid rent and you have the same legal rights as someone who has a lease. If you are unhappy in the place, don't sign the lease as you will be less able to leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,400 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Take a look at www.PRTB.ie

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭wyk

Victor wrote:
    Take a look at www.PRTB.ie

How refreshing, it's all in plain English. You'll get nothing so easy to understand here in the states.

WYK

Advertisement