Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

digital amplifier cables to speaker help

• 17-09-2007 12:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,578 ✭✭✭

I am buying a digital amplifier to use to power a part surround sound system (dont want rear speakers -hence only part system) I have new proson speakers which require bare wire speaker cable into them. The thing that has me puzzled is the output from alot of the digital amplifiers seems to be RCA. Is it possible or common to connect an RCA output into a speaker by cutting the cable and connecting it into the speakers?
    Would this damage the speakers? do I need an amplifier with speaker out connections only to suit the speakers?
    Many thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

usually rca connectors are unamplified line level signals. you can't drive speakers from them.

What digital amplifier are you talking about? you got a link?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

The thing that has me puzzled is the output from alot of the digital amplifiers seems to be RCA.
    I'm puzzled too..... the amp should have binding posts (or similar) to connect the speakers to. RCA sockets are usually inputs for DVD, CD or whatever.... outputs could be for a power amp or a single RCA could actually be a coaxial digital input.
    We'd need to know the exact model of amp and then have a look at the back panel diagram from an online manual... ideally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,578 ✭✭✭jonniebgood1

I have been told that was looking at imputs instead of out? (apologies, this is new to me.)
    The speakers I got are these
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=319885

and I was looking at a cheap A/v amplifier receiver

http://cgi.ebay.ie/5-1-800-W-Dolby-Surround-DTS-Amplifier-HIFI-Home-Cinema_W0QQitemZ260159646138QQihZ016QQcategoryZ122650QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Is a cheap receiver like this a good idea or should I be paying 5 times more for a brand name that I have heard of? this one is skytronic?

that will most likely drive the speakers you linked to alright, if it works, Whether or not it'll sond any good i have no idea.

it has no digital inptus though, so if you want to get surround sound from a dvd player you will need one with 6 analog outputs on the back, you will not be able to use a single digital connection with this amp

to be honest it looks like rubbish to me, but for that prices who knows...might be worth trying...i've never heard of the make

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

mossym wrote:
    to be honest it looks like rubbish to me, but for that prices who knows...might be worth trying...i've never heard of the make
    Agreed, I wouldn't touch it. Get a second hand AV amp if budget is a problem right now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,578 ✭✭✭jonniebgood1

Ok- I suspected that may be the case. Price to good to be true! As budget is sticky at the mo will try and search out 2nd hand receiver from better manufacturer. Although entry level systems are not that much more with richer sounds and a pioneer system which seems to have the digital inputs that mossym mentions.
    http://www.rebelio.ie/app/urwfilter/catalog/do/action/ShowProductDetail/productId/32280/sname/Pioneer_VSX_416_S_Silver/index.html

Thanks for the replies- they are v helpful

aye, you're looking at better stuff now. there'll be no comparision between that and the ebay one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

That ebay "yoke" doesn't even have a dolby/thx/dts decoder ffs ! It's a box with 5 amplifiers built inside. I live by the old maxim - you get what you pay for - always served me well !

ZEN

just to point out, thx aint a decoder...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

You're right, it's a standard that amplifiers are capable of and certified to reproduce. The amplifier the OP points to has neither.

ZEN

• Advertisement
Advertisement