Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

scart setup for 2 dvds + sky decoder

• 17-09-2007 12:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭

I'm in the process of setting up a TV viewing config which will consist
    of a Philips DVD recorder, a Sony home cinema amp/tuner/dvd combo,
    an old Pace Sky digital box (which I'll run for Free-to-air).
    My LCD TV has 2 x scart connections (EXT-1, EXT-2) and probably
    AV leads as well.
    What would be the best way to connect these so that I've all sources
    connected with minimal signal loss(es) ?

My current guess is that I'll just wire the DVD recorder & DVD/home theatre
    combi to EXT-1 and EXT-2 scart female sockets directly to the TV
    and then use a SCART->AV/phono(yellow/red/white) to the separate
    three colour AV input section of the TV.

Are there better approaches?

Sorry if the question is a bit naive/basic!
    What's the story about S-video .. I remember reading once that it delivers
    better signal than SCART.

-ifc

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 278 ✭✭conax

I would put the TV out scart from the digi box to the EXT2 of the DVD recorder
    EXT1 of the DVD recorder to the TV, the sony to EXT2 of the TV and drop a stereo phono lead from the TV to the AUX in of the Sony.

If the Sony had a YPrPb and the TV YPrPb in I would put the Sony on this, put the TV out of the Digi box on EXT2 on the TV, put a scart from VCR out of the Digi box to EXT2 of the DVD recorder and drop a stereo phono from the TV to the sony AUX in.

Assuming that the sony is a standard combi surround sound unit and not a AV receiver.

omited the EXT1 from the DVD recorder to the EXT1 on the TV

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭ifconfig

Thanks for that advice Conax.

Actually the DVD//home theater unit is like this:
    http://www.amazon.com/Sony-BRAVIA-DAV-HDX265-Theater-System/dp/B000O6SI6S

I'm guessing that's a combi and not an A/V receiver.
    I'm guessing (from memory) that there is a difference between a combi home theater and a dedicated A/V receiver.

Out of curiosity what is that difference (sorry, home cinema virgin here ;) !)

-ifc

An AV receiver: well first its AV stands for Audio and Video and receiver means it has a radio tuner built into it, however generally speaking AV receivers have multiple Audio and Video source selection meaning you can connect many different sources such as CD players/ Audio servers/DVD players/VCR’s/CCTV/Satellite boxes/cable boxes etc all of these devices are switched via the AV receiver and its remote. they generally have multiple options for the connection of Digital audio assignable per source.
    The Sony has a HDMI output would you not use that and connect the same as the 2nd option.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭ifconfig

conax wrote:
    The Sony has a HDMI output would you not use that and connect the same as the 2nd option.

Good point. I've read bits of info and FUD about HDMI cables and their
    cost,etc. What should I be realistically spending on one that is a bit
    better than half decent ?
    I have none .. this is my first foray into equipment which HD inputs/outputs.

-ifc

2-5meters there is no need to spend more than 20 Euro on a HDMI lead.

• Advertisement
Advertisement