Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is BT Broadband any good? level of service etc

Options
  • 17-09-2007 1:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭

Hey folks!
    I was wondering if BT Broadband is any good?
    Im currently being charged 35 euro for FWA and its only 512Mbps :(
    And it has some issue browsing and packet loss on occasionas every evening.

How is BT e.g. level of service, customer support etc etc

Its seems their package is 2 meg and line rental after the intro offer is about 43 euro. ntb
    Nick

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭Simi

I would describe it as excellent at home in Sligo, excellent ping for gaming, neglegible packet loss, excellent download speeds etc. Only ever gone down once and it was repaired within a week.
    But I live in an area where there is unlikely to be much contention. i.e. a neighbourhood filled with oaps who probably don't like downloading the latest episode of Scrubs on bittorrent as much as I do.
    The contention ratio on the 2mb package is 48:1. Pretty high if you live in a dense urban area with lots of BT subscribers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Gryzor

i'd echo what simi said....i'm with BT aswell, as far as the service goes, its spot on.....i've never had any downtime in the last 2 years....i live in afairly built up area, never had any problems with speeds or the like....

I'm movin to smart this month though, better speeds and no cap....if bt offered the same i'd stay with them...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭JJ

My BT broadband has been pretty good except for last Sunday when I could've used a fast service. I wanted to watch the Giants on NFL Game Pass which needs a lot of bandwith but I was getting a connection worse than dial up last Sunday. When I got round to calling tech support it was 6pm and I found out that they close at that time on Sunday. I blame the slow connection on the All Ireland Final. It's been fine since then and I hope it's better tomorrow night when the Giants play the Redskins.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭FGR

I've recently rejoined BT after moving apartments and have to say that I am very satisified with their level of service.

It had taken about five days from getting my Eircom Account Number to having my DSL light switched on.

The only teething problem I had was deleting all of my router's previous saved settings on Windows Vista - but after that it was plain sailing.

Delighted, too; as I'm officially moving in this coming Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Vunderground

With them for years and no problems of any kind :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭maldini

any problems going over the capped limit?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭h57xiucj2z946q

Im with BT Ireland on the 2Mb package in the Ballyjamesduff/Cavan area for over a year and a half now. No complaints at all. Get around 180-200kBps during the day and about 200-220kBps at night.

I went over the download limit a good few times and never heard anything from them :)

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭maldini

do you go over by much damo?
    Can BT come back to you months later and hit you with a big bill for months that you went over on?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭FGR

The missus was downloading all sorts of things when I first joined them. Surely about 3 or 4 GB worth of files in some cases..but did not hear anything about it.

That was almost two years ago.

Advertisement