Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Have to go and pay VRT

Options
  • 17-09-2007 1:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭

I read somewhere before that the prices change quite often for some reason, is this true?

Another question, they ask how many miles are on the car. The more miles that are on it the less the VRT is, but how do they know if u are telling the truth or does it all just revert back to if ur not and when u go and sell the car etc?? I have not got the change of ownership form yet, so maybe its on that, so if it is apologies for stupid question.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Mileage (within reason) doesn't effect VRT values much.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭GoalsGoneWild

Prices seem to change about every 2/3 weeks or so. I bought my car the day before I went on holidays for 3 weeks, VRT'd it when I got home and it had dropped about €90. I would have thought that there'd be a bit of an incentive to try to dodge paying until the end of a calendar year alright. It'll probably drop about 1k (or more depending on the car) when it's a 'year' older. But I could be wrong on that...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭someothername

this will give you an estimate on how much your likely to pay........

https://www.ros.ie/VRTEnquiryServlet/showCarCalculator

i know a person who didnt VRT the car the bought last november 06 till jan 07 and they saved about 900 .....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭mel123

so just drive it and hope for the best that i dont get stopped by garda??

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Or if you want to minimize your chances of getting busted, bring it in and park it up on private property until you VRT it. That won't guarantee anything cos its not like motor tax where you don't have to pay when the car is off the road, but you're not going to run into a checkpoint!

• Advertisement

Stephen wrote:
    Or if you want to minimize your chances of getting busted, bring it in and park it up on private property until you VRT it. That won't guarantee anything cos its not like motor tax where you don't have to pay when the car is off the road, but you're not going to run into a checkpoint!

Good idea, but in fairness, new motor, wanna drive it :-)

Might just pay it straight away and save the hassle

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

That's what I would do.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,193 ✭✭✭MarkN

Just pay the VRT. The rest of us get shafted, no reason why anyone else should be any different.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭Terrontress

When I took my car to be VRT'd the guy came out and looked at the odometer.

Although I have paid VRT on my last car, the owner of my current car obivously paid it on my current and I paid it on my camper van, I would go against what MarkN says and try your hardest not to pay it.

It is a ridiculous tax.

That German ambassador was right about Ireland!

MarkN wrote:
    Just pay the VRT. The rest of us get shafted, no reason why anyone else should be any different.

Thanks Mark, however, i am sure if you thought there was a way you could save a few quid u would do it too!!!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement