Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fantasy Author Robert Jordan Passes Away

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

*curses like a fishwife* I remember one of my friends joking years and years ago about how it'd be funny if RJ died before finishing. Now it's happened...

Regardless of my opinion (shared by many) of the declining series, it's sadly ironic that the often seeming interminal series is, on the cusp of completion, stopped by a terminal illness. RIP and all that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

It is well known that he had an end book writtenand iwth his publishers which finishes off the story arc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭Andy-Pandy

That sucks,

RIP

Still one of my favourite authors.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

think his wife is finishing the story

maybe the last book will actually be decent so

Thaedydal wrote:
    It is well known that he had an end book writtenand iwth his publishers which finishes off the story arc.
    Is it? The sources I'm seeing say it wasn't due for 2009 and that he had only the outline and ideas left with his family. The actual exciting, snappy writing bit hasn't been done.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭Waylander

Sad to hear that. I gave up reading his book after book 6 as it was just too long a wait in between books, and I always figured there was a chance this would happen as it never looked like the story was drawing to a close in any of the books to that point. If his wife does bring out the final book I may just go back and read them all through.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭pljudge321

This sucks completely, and the books ,when taken as a whole arcing storyline were so well conceived and epic despite the incessant skirt checking done by the women that plagued the last few.

Condolences to his family and friends.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

If he hadn't decided to drag the series out past 6 books, none of this would ever have happened.

well.. I thinjk he might still have died, but less of us would care

well, less of you... I don't care. I stopped caring what happened to that bastard after he inflicted Crossroads of Twilight on me

Mordeth wrote:
    I don't care. I stopped caring what happened to that bastard after he inflicted Crossroads of Twilight on me
    But your username says otherwise :) As does Moridin offhand and probably others on these forums.

I'll respectfully disagree that his magnum opus is well conceived but I won't snipe too much, given the nature of what's happened.

Now someone lock Steven Erikson in a germ-free capsule, with no possible exposure to any harm, until he's done.

• Advertisement

I've been Mordeth online since I was 13, 14.. I didn't want to let that bastard take it away from me

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

RIP, hopefully the series will be finished.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Despite having trouble ploughing through the last few, I have still been waiting for the last book hoping that it might be a proper climax to a story that started out so well. I was only reading his blog (or his brothers updates at least) a few days ago as I was wondering how he was.

RIP RJ.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Tal Hawkins

although his work was in deline, i am enjoying the series. It is a great disspointment that he couldnt finsh the series himself and i think he did get bogged down byt his serires. We will miss out on other creative writings he could have offered if he finished the books sooner and began fresh prjects.

RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭fenris

In light of David Gemmell and Robert Jordan dying mid flow, do you think we should insist that George RR Martin, Stephen Erikson and Feist get a full medical?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,154 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

I disagree that the series was in decline. Unlike most I suppose, I like Book 7 also. Book 8 was a bit dull, Book 9 an improvement, COT Book 10 was the weakest, but Knife of Dreams was a return to form. I was really looking forward to seeing how it all ended, I hope I get the chance and that if I do, whoever puts it out does justice to it.

Perhaps that woman he collaborated with on the world of the wheel of time book ? Pity he faffed about on New Spring or we might have had it finished by now.

Quigs Snr wrote:
    IPerhaps that woman he collaborated with on the world of the wheel of time book ? Pity he faffed about on New Spring or we might have had it finished by now.
    I'm assuming he wrote 'New Spring' because he had writer's block? It's happened to more than one author, not least of which is George R. R. Martin who took years to writ 'A Feast for Crows' and that's only one half of the novel that he had originally planned for about '03/'04.
    On a related note, George R. R. Martin pays tribute to Robert Jordan here on his blog.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Wreck

Sad news, while I agree with many that the Wheel of Time series began to drag around Book 7, taken as a (albeit currently unfinished) whole it is a truly amazing piece of work. Apparently once he was diagnosed RJ was acutely aware of the possibility of dying before managing to finish the series and it would not surprise me if we do eventually see a finale based on his work to date.

Now someone go get George R Martin some vitamins or calpol or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

RIP Jordan.

And I echo others statements; wrap up Erikson and Martin in cotton swaddling!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

If I had a braid i'd tug it a few times.

Sorry to hear he's gone, I enjoyed his first 26 books in WOT but sadly had begun to loathe the series in recent centuries.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

All that effort - wasted.
    Whatever you may say about him, he created a good world (even if the rules changed once or twice), that had a huge amount of scope for expansion. A thousand authors could not exhaust the possibilities of what he created (as in, making new characters in different roles etc.)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

If he was still alive. id kill him for not finishing it...

Not only the effort of having to reread some other books to catch up every two years,
    but because I am so addicted I cannot wait to buy the books the second they come out
    and so get them on hardback, (read, bloody expensive)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Wreck

I know its not long after RJ's death:(, but was wondering if anyone had heard anything about any post humous finale to the WoT series?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

Wreck wrote: »
    I know its not long after RJ's death:(, but was wondering if anyone had heard anything about any post humous finale to the WoT series?
    He dictated it to his wife, she is writing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭Suff

Tor Books has announced that Brandon Sanderson has been selected to complete A MEMORY OF LIGHT, the final novel in the Wheel of Time saga.

http://www.dragonmount.com/News/?p=326

*points directly below the thread*

Advertisement