Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any social meetups for software techies?

• 17-09-2007 1:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Anyone know of any social meetups for software techies in the Limerick/Shannon/Ennis areas?

Anyone interested if I started one? (Something like a once-a-month meetup after work in a pub. Talking about Open Source languages, tools, platforms and the like over a pint.)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭BobTheBeat

Outside the environs of UL, I wouldnt be so sure. Spent ages looking for a LUG a couple years back,but alas it was not to be!

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Tim.Bunce

I spent a great day on Saturday at BarCamp Galway (wiki and review with links to others).

I plan to go to the Limerick OpenCoffee Club on Oct 4th.

Not quite what I was originally thinking of, but very enjoyable all the same.

There's a list of people interested in forming a Galway Linux User Group here. Given the limited number of people in the mid-west to draw from, I keep thinking we should aim for a wider definition. Perhaps a more general 'open source' focus rather than just 'linux'. Perhaps a wide focus is part of the success of BarCamp and OpenCoffee. Just a thought.

Tim.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭BobTheBeat

Sounds interesting Tim. Just mentioned the LUG in reference to OS platforms. Is the Coffee club technology focused or just more generic business related?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭mayhem#

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84 ✭✭MackPaddy

This event sounds really interesting.Terryglas is a great location.I will be sure to keep an eye on how the programme is filling out.

Its a pity there is not a bigger interest in the mid-west area for all things techie,where there could be some kind of informal meet-ups in which to chat,discuss and share ideas...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭mayhem#

@mackpaddy It's all up to yourself. These events stand by the people that attend them. Go to one, meet people and if you're up to if give a demo. That's the way it grows.
    The Open Coffee Club meetings every first Thursday of the month in Limerick are always well worth attending.
    The OCC BBQ in Terryglass is shaping up to be quite an event, so go to the website and sign up (and make sure you attend)!

I'd love to go but can't make the BBQ, sadly, as I'll be in the US. I've enjoyed the Limerick Open Coffee Club meetings but haven't got to one recently.

I've been putting some effort into "The Limerick Open Source Meetup" and it's starting to gain some traction now. Next meeting June 11th in Limerick. All welcome.

Just adding a note to give the new link for the Limerick Open Source Meetup. We've had 37 meetups now with about 4 to 7 people at most of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭kenoconnell

Hey Guys,

More than welcome in the pub in town or Annacotty... Free pint/soft drink/ coffee for all.

Rgds - Ken

• Advertisement
Advertisement