Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What train do you get and how packed is it?(Northern Line)

• 17-09-2007 3:02pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So I am lazy and like comfort so spent a lot of the summer driving to work and well despite the journey time doubling I haven't yet gone back to the train.

I have noticed that despite the population burst little has been done to improve the train service and also that it is getting more and more packed every day.

So I have questions -

What time do you get the train at?
    What Station do you get on at?
    Do you get a seat?
    What time does it arrive in Connolly and or your destination at?
    How packed is it?
    and the same for going home..

Personally I used to get the 8:12 as the 7:33 was way too packed.
    Balbriggan
    Most of the time
    9:05
    Very but as I had a seat not so horribly bad.

It got worse in May/June and seats became a distant memory.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,785 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Inbound
    What time do you get the train at? 06:22
    What Station do you get on at? Skerries
    Do you get a seat? Yes
    What time does it arrive in Connolly and or your destination at? Pearse @ 07:00How packed is it? Not bad. Only 3 or 4 standing in my carriage.

Outbound
    What time do you get the train at? 16:45 But could be anytime between then & 20:25.
    What Station do you get on at? Pearse
    Do you get a seat? Yes But will give up seat for the elderly & the pregnant.
    What time does it arrive at your? Skerries @ 17:30
    How packed is it? Busy enough But nothing like the trains between 17:00 & 18:00.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Mornings: Malahide, 8.08 DART because it's not possible to get on the similar timed diesel without feeling like a sardine. DART is similarly packed straight away. Arrive at Grand Canal Dock around 840.

Evenings: 17.50 diesel from Pearse (first station), always get a seat, arrives in Malahide at 18.20. People do stand from Pearse though.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

What time do you get the train at? 6:19
    What Station do you get on at? Ballbriggan
    Do you get a seat? Yes (tempted to auction of at a later station)
    What time does it arrive in Connolly and or your destination at? Tara St 7:00 give or take 5 minutes
    How packed is it? Grand when I get on, but it does fill up
    and the same for going home..

What time do you get the train at? 18:40
    What Station do you get on at? Connolly
    Do you get a seat? Yes
    What time does it arrive in Connolly and or your destination at? balbriggan just after 7:00
    How packed is it? Normally OK

Hill Billy, I see we get the same train, you bring the flask of coffee and I'll bring the scones;)

gillo wrote:
    Hill Billy, I see we get the same train, you bring the flask of coffee and I'll bring the scones;)

We do indeed. I saw you on it one morning - in the last carriage.
    Dangerous thing posting your pic up on "Know your Nerds"... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭lyda

Bbriggan (still parking in the train station at that time)
    No (but only cause I'm a lunatic magnet on public transport, not that I'm scarred or bitter or anything...)
    arrives GCD around ~730
    Definitely packed by Malahide.

Trains home vary widely. Late night trains tend to be late. The 1725 is my favourite - but that's because I can catch it at GCD. And the 1825 actually does go to Balbriggan in spite of what every schedule I have says.

• Advertisement

Damn, there's forty pages in KYN's, at twenty posts that's more than you can actually fit in a carriage.

Can't wait to go into work to morning and ask random punter's are you Hill Billy.

(come to think of it, that last pic I posted there, I was wearing a skirt, please tell me I wasn't in drag on the train -you know how it is with those early starts)

Gillo - Next time I see you I'll be sure to say "Hello" or is there a sekrit Boards handshake that's used? Maybe I'll just point at you & shout "Yore Ma!" :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭dcr22B

Inbound

What time do you get the train at? 08:00
    What Station do you get on at? Donabate
    Do you get a seat? You've got to be joking, they're taking the p**s with 4 carraiges on that train in the first place
    What time does it arrive in Connolly and or your destination at? Connolly @ 08:25-08:30
    How packed is it? Not as bad as those before and after it but can get busy

Outbound

What time do you get the train at? 17:35
    Do you get a seat? Not a hope
    What time does it arrive at your station? Just before 6pm
    How packed is it? Wedged!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭cailinoBAC

Inbound

What time do you get the train at? 07.33
    What Station do you get on at? Balbriggan
    Do you get a seat? Usually. There's more of a fight now holidays are over
    What time does it arrive in Connolly and or your destination at? Pearse @ 8.23 (don't know if that's official, but it's just the time in my head)
    How packed is it? Quite packed put not as bad as the one before 8

Outbound

What time do you get the train at? A mix, if I'm going straight home I usually go for 18.15 cos I hate the fight for a seat at 17.50 and it doesn't seem to get in any earlier
    Do you get a seat? Yes. Unless I'm late and I just arrive before the doors close
    What time does it arrive at your station? about 7?
    How packed is it? Packed after Connolly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 martipants

What time do you get the train at? 0703...Not early enough to park in the station:(
    Do you get a seat? Yes but they're usually all gone by Skerries & definitely all gone by Lush & Rusk:D
    What time does it arrive in Connolly and or your destination at? 0755 in Pearse
    How packed is it? Loadsa people standing from Donabate on.

Going Home...
    What time do you get the train at? 16:43
    Do you get a seat? If you're willing to leave your humanity at the door.
    What time does it arrive in Connolly and or your destination at? Balbriggan at 1730
    How packed is it? Very full

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭grahamo

Inbound
    What time do you get the train at? 08:00
    Do you get a seat? :D No chance!
    What time does it arrive in Connolly and or your destination at? Pearse @ 8:45How packed is it? Sardine tin packed.

Outbound
    What time do you get the train at? 17:13
    Do you get a seat? :D If I did I'd be amazed.
    What time does it arrive at your? Balbriggan @ 17:55
    How packed is it? If you get on the train with your hands in your pockets you can't take them out till you get to skerries.:rolleyes:
    Its a real pain to have to stand on a packed train after working all day. After over 3 years of that crap I got meself a car and now drive to work. If the gov't. don't give a toss about decent public transport then I don't give a toss about global warming!:rolleyes:

Interesting the majority of posters appear to use Balbriggan station.

I'm curious that that mean that a lot of posters here reside in Balbriggan or that "outsiders" (that is definetly not meant in an anyway offensive way) are driving from the likes of Skerries or Rush in order to get a seat?

I also appear to have the longest day so far not somethign to be proud off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Well it seems that Irish Rail are going to put in that exit validation to Balbriggan station when it is redeveloped.
    Just wondering what others think of that because it takes long enough to get out in the evenings as it is.
    How many gates are they going to put in does anybody know?

gillo wrote:
    I'm curious that that mean that a lot of posters here reside in Balbriggan or that "outsiders" (that is definetly not meant in an anyway offensive way) are driving from the likes of Skerries or Rush in order to get a seat?

I doubt if people are driving from Skerries or Rush to Balbriggan to get seats. One of the above Balbriggan users mentioned that by 7:03 the car park in Balbriggan is full. In my experience there are still seats available on the trains stopping at Skerries & R&L by this time.

Therefore it would be a waste of time & effort to drive all the way to Balbriggan at an early enough time to get parking when you should be able to get a seat on a train in your local station.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I doubht anyone would drive to Balbriggan to get a seat,there is a terrible lack of parking and seats are not guaranteed.

Though I heard of people from Balbriggan driving to Gormanstown station,where I hear there are both seats and parking spaces.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭sgarvan

Inbound
    What time do you get the train at? 07:33
    Do you get a seat? Most Mornings
    What time does it arrive in Connolly and or your destination at? Arrives at 08:16, give or take a few mintues.
    How packed is it? Not too bad till you get to Donabate and all the school kids get on and squash about 30 people in the a space where 10 should be standing.

Outbound
    What time do you get the train at? 17:07
    Do you get a seat? Sometimes, but with Colleges back now it is getting harder.
    What time does it arrive at your? Balbriggan @ 17:50
    How packed is it? Generally not too bad. There is room to move around most days.
    Moonbeam wrote:
    Though I heard of people from Balbriggan driving to Gormanstown station,where I hear there are both seats and parking spaces.

Yes i have heard this aswell, especially since Gormanstowns car park has been extended from 40-250 spaces. Only thing is it is a dearer ticket than Balbriggan.

Advertisement