Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Sick momo.....

Options
  • 17-09-2007 3:15pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Folks my other halfs momo is sick.

About 2 months ago a truck reversed over her Integra Type R. She got it back all fixed up on Saturday and everything is fine until today.
    Got to work and at lunch went out side and the car isn't ticking over at all.
    When you turn the key there is no clicking. There is power going through the car but on the dash the engine check light is not coming on like it normally would. Also she has an RSM and Vtec controller hooked up and they are not powering up.

Her mechanic is stumped!!

Any ideas??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭richie_rvf

Any lights at all?

Is the battery connected? Sometimes it can look connected but is actually loose.

Could also be something to do with an alarm??

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Yeah ABS and Emmissions lights are working, and is the handbrake.

Battery is connected, we can turn the radio on and all lights are woking.

No, even if the immobiliser is on the RSM and Vtec controller will power up!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I'm no Honda expert, but it sounds like an engine fuse or possibly a power supply relay has blown. Either that or some engine loom is disconnected.

Was the recent body work done to the front of the car?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Yeah body work was to the front.

I checked all fuses and relays and so did the mechanic. Both of us are stumped, all i know for definate is that power isn't getting to the ECU, the ECU feeds the engine check light back to the dash and thats how the RSM etc is connected. I am dreading that it could be a blown ECU!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 602 ✭✭✭IrishRover

Yeah, could well be earth wires to slam panel or some other earth wires haven't been reconnected.

Did you just refer to a car as a "momo" by the way? :eek: :)

• Advertisement

Well its being going since saturday fine so they must have been reconnected but just come loose??

Yeah, i called the car a momo, thats her baby so momo is what it is!! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

jonny24ie wrote:
    I checked all fuses and relays and so did the mechanic.

Were the relay's actually tested by the mechanic? It's impossible to tell if a relay is knackered by just looking at - unless it's one of those transparent types that I've seen on some cars. I'm not sure if there is a relay for the ECU on a Honda - I'm just mentioning it in case there is.

IrishRover's suggestion is worth looking into - an incorrectly tightened earth strap to the body and/or engine could easily be responsible. Follow as many cables as you can from the battery negative terminal and see what you can find.

What about other items like wipers, interior fan, etc - are all these OK?

EDIT : While you're at it, you might as well trace as many battery positive leads as you can - just in case.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 602 ✭✭✭IrishRover

Has anything happened between Saturday and now?

Well the general things to look out for when your Honda engine won't start are faulty relays (often located behind centre console), faulty distributor unit(igniter units are prone to failure), and earthing issues.

I think if it was the PGMFI main relay, the starting issue would be intermittent, plus you would hear the starter motor going. Same if it was a faulty distributor unit.

Posting info on main relay fault for what it's worth, although B series cars may be less prone to these failing as D series:
    http://www.marklamond.co.uk/tech-honda/pgm-fi/main-relay/main-relay.htm
    There could be a loose earth wire from the main relay to the engine or from the engine to the chassis.

I was thinking forgetting to reconnect earth wires to the slam panel or other areas at the front was likely seeing as you said it had an impact at the front. If there are any strange electrical issues like most dash lights not coming on, wipers not working, etc, then this would make it seem more likely too.

What makes you suspect the ECU? If you can borrow pretty much any ECU from a B or D series engine it should start and run. It mightn't run very well, but good for a swap test. It's definitely got the loom plugged in ok?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

will it start with a push?

IrishRover wrote:
    Has anything happened between Saturday and now?

Everything was grand with the car since Saturday, no problems at all.
    IrishRover wrote:
    What makes you suspect the ECU? If you can borrow pretty much any ECU from a B or D series engine it should start and run. It mightn't run very well, but good for a swap test. It's definitely got the loom plugged in ok?

The ECU is not getting powered up, if there was power going through the ECU the engine check light and RSM/Vtec controllers will all light up but they aren't!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Like others I would suspect a relay as the first port of call. The same symptoms happened to a mates integra SIR(power not getting to the ECU etc) and that's what it turned out to be. It was one of the relays located down by the drivers kick panel. It looked fine too, but when swapped out the car started first crack. I'd be surprised to find the ECU going south but it's possible.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

Who fitted the rsm jonny?

Have you checked its connections at the ecu?Are they sound?
    Was power for the units taken from the ecu or a seperate 12v source?

If it was taken at the ecu try changing it to the main white power cable at the fusebox.

eireal wrote:
    Who fitted the rsm jonny?

Have you checked its connections at the ecu?Are they sound?
    Was power for the units taken from the ecu or a seperate 12v source?

If it was taken at the ecu try changing it to the main white power cable at the fusebox.

I did, its been in the car well over a year now with no bothers at all. Vtec controller was in the car when she got it in from Japan.

All the connections are sound and all are connected to the ECU.

Well cos it was full repair on the front end I would imagine its something to do with the reapri work but it was driving grand for 3 days, got to work at 9 and at 12.30 it was dead.

Mechanic is stumped which is very odd as this problem only occurs with the Acura's that have the safety feature on the clutch pedal or DC5's!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

Is it starting at all now?Or is it running fine but now display on the rsm and vtec controller?

We got it sorted al, the wiring on the alarm, upto the ignition cables was pulled away by the ould impact.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

What has momo to do with it? Has it a momo steering wheel or something?

JHMEG wrote:
    What has momo to do with it? Has it a momo steering wheel or something?

Nope, i get used to saying momo when it comes to the car. Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

My girlfriend calls cars momo's too. It makes me chuckle heartily.

Advertisement