Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cena Title Reign

• 17-09-2007 3:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭

Ok so he's had the title for over a year. Where does it end? Two years? Three? I know he sells a lot of merchandise and brings in a young audience but this can't go on forever.... can it? When will it end?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Obviously it wont go on forever. My guess is Triple H will be champion by Christmas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Kid Nothing

i have a good feeling that Orton will take it at No Mercy. There's no way they can go 3 PPV's without Orton beating him once! But even at that i'm sure he'll win it back within a few months cause he sells stuff. It's amazing how the last time i was properly interested in WWE was when Edge won the title, hopefully it'll be the same this time round

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

I think HHH winning the title will be the Wrestlemania moment this year. No way will he win it before then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭fatal

it makes sense for WWE to keep him as champ since they are making so much effin money off him.I wouldnt be surprised is he lasts until next year as champ to be honest.I HATED the guy before but i have become used to him.Lets face it,whether it has been down to him or not,he has been in some of the best matches this year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,042 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Maybe not quite a heel turn, but he needs to go back to the cocky, freestyling gimmick, like before his match with Lesnar.

All this saluting stuff since The Marine has been ****e.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭RebelRockChick

Was just reading this:
    Today, September 17, 2007, marks the one year of anniversary of John Cena's title reign. Cena joins the exclusive company of Bob Backlund, Hulk Hogan, Pedro Morales, Bruno Sammartino and Randy Savage as only the sixth man in history to hold the WWE Championship continuously for at least one calendar year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

There must be 10 thread likes this one made in the last 6 months about Cena.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Prufrock

amull87 wrote:
    i have a good feeling that Orton will take it at No Mercy. There's no way they can go 3 PPV's without Orton beating him once!

Well
    Orton kinda beat Cena at Unforgiven...kinda. Terrible match by the way.

Could be HHH. But Cena will just win it back the next night or some BS like that. :mad:

Spend 1 day in a primary school and you'll know exactly why John Cena is still champion.

Spend 1 day in a primary school and you'll know exactly why John Cena is still champion.

How's that?

• Advertisement

Prufrock wrote:
    How's that?

He's this generations Hulk Hogan.

Yep. But at least Hogan could deliver a half decent promo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

^ Im no fan of Cenas, but the man can deliver a promo. Its not as self indulgent as Hogans admittedly, but when Cena isn't trying to be funny, he certainly can deliver. Not to mention the fact that I dont think the kids care much for the dexterity of Cenas mic work.

Prufrock wrote:

Ask a kid if they think Cena is funny or entertaining when he talks, they'll say yeah. More important than that, when he talks or wrestles they believe in him. The same as I did when Hogan was on top.

Really? I don't like his promos. I remember a little while back he called Kennedy Mr. Bla Bla. How unimaginative can you get? Also the gay jokes. So many gay jokes.
    Or am I being too critical?

Prufrock wrote:
    How unimaginative can you get? Also the gay jokes. So many gay jokes.
    Or am I being too critical?

No I get what your saying. Alot of his material is crap for anyone over the age 16.

But not everyone who watches wrestling is over 16. And arguably its kids and parents driving merchandise, house show and ppv business or at the very least their importance to the WWE has significantly grown in the past couple of years. The reason? John Cena. He is their guy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,602 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

Prufrock wrote:

I Dunno about that, Hogan has come out with some rambling incoherant sh*t in his day as well. Check out his Wrestlemania IV promo!

Every Generation needs a Hogan, Bret was Hogan for the 90s, and Cena is Hogan for the new milennium.

Of course, Bret actually used more than six moves per match ;)
    VR!

No I get what your saying. Alot of his material is crap for anyone over the age 16.

But not everyone who watches wrestling is over 16. And arguably its kids and parents driving merchandise, house show and ppv business or at the very least their importance to the WWE has significantly grown in the past couple of years. The reason? John Cena. He is their guy.

Good point. But even accepting that a year is a very long time to hold onto a title. What's makes it worse is that you just know Cena will win whatever match he's in. It's too predictable. He could chase the title and still bring in the kids. The Rock did it. Why not Cena?
    I Dunno about that, Hogan has come out with some rambling incoherant sh*t in his day as well. Check out his Wrestlemania IV promo!

What a promo! Ok he was no Iron Shiek but he was good when he got on a roll.

Prufrock wrote:
    But even accepting that a year is a very long time to hold onto a title. What's makes it worse is that you just know Cena will win whatever match he's in. It's too predictable. He could chase the title and still bring in the kids.

But do you think kids find it predictable? I don't think they do. Look at how relatively well Khali and Cena did on ppv the first time. Cena is like the cartoon superhero that always wins.

When I was young around 7-11 I never assumed Hogan would win. I always thought he was DOOMED which was exactly what the WWE wanted me to feel. When Earthquake squashed Hogan I literally thought he was finished. And I think kids to a certain degree get that when Cena is fighting Khali or Lashley or whoever. Maybe they don't think automatic doom but I'm pretty sure that they don't roll their eyes and think "Aw another guy for Cena to beat" like everyone with a deep male voice does.

When you were 10 did you follow the superhero that always won or the guy that nearly always won and then 6 months down the line he did (if such a super hero existed)?

It has been a long time though and maybe we'll see him soon enough chase for the belt.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭hyn-zie

Was just reading this:

Tiple H has had a reign for over a year no??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Ramones

Hi,

Some of you here were good enough to answer my newbie questions a few months back so for what its worth I'll throw in my two bobs worth here. Remember, I'm 37 and a father of 2 young lads (10 and 7) who are stone cracked into wrestling, so that the perspective I'm answering from.

As said above, Cena is a cash cow for the WWE, lord knows I've spent enough money on him for the boys but I think the main appeal for their age is that he is seen as the clean cut hero, a good role model as such.

No need for gimmicks, sledge hammers, the supposed scariness of the Undertaker etc. - he just gets in, is the honest man and wrestles.

They like the fact that he doesn't cheat, isn't nasty/bad like Orton, (who I think is doing a great job characterwise) or hugely cocky like Edge (also excellent in his role) the fact that he seems normal - as I say almost a role model, if a role model can be seen to be strangling the life out of someone on the ground :eek:

Whether he wrestles good or bad I'll leave to you guys here, but he has really captured their imagination, so much so, I was preparing them that he may lose the title at the last PPV - not Sundays but the previous one - cant think of the name now but they were devestated at the thought of it :)

Personally over the last 6/12 months I've really enjoyed getting into the wrestling on tv with them and I like watching Cena, predictable as some of the fights were although the last few have been very good and made me wonder whether he would lose or not. In the last 2 weeks I guess a different side of him is coming out, a meaner side,which I suppose can only lead to a loss of the title his beating of Regal and the attack on Orton for example.

Whilst I appreciate many of you have been watching for years and may be tired of the same old same old, believe me, its making great viewing for the age group the boys are in and also for newcomers like myself.

I must say reading the posts here almost every day, some of you guys are ultra critical, something I find myself being when dealing with music :D

Thanks for listening

PS Anyone have any idea when WWE would be likely to come back to Dublin?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

doubt theyll be back before next summer anyway what with the point being renovated theres no chance of an outdoor arena with our weather later in the year, theres a few shows on in belfast alright but you may as well go to the uk if thats the case,pity they never put it on anywhere aside from the point or the rds there are other venues in the country too ya know vince! although its the same with music, all the decent big gigs are on in the smoke and thats it,or mill st in cork but my sitting room is bigger than that

Good post.

To answer your question, the Point in Dublin is basically being renovated at the cost of about 80 million at the moment. The bad news is that it won't be finished until about this time next year I think.

The good news is that its capacity will be doubled which means getting tickets for events might be easier and also WWE might bring an actual live Raw or Smackdown tv show to Ireland.

So with the Point out of action, it probably means no WWE show unless they run one maybe in the summer at the RDS like they did a few years ago.

I think what gets to me most about it is just the fact that his wrestling ability is so poor (obviously not as bad as some, i.e. Khali). There are far better technically gifted wrestlers but i accept that they just can't make it at the top level like he does. I just don't think that he should be holding the belt for that long just because he's making them money and i know that is the whole goal of WWE but look at TNA (even with their faults), they give different people chances with the title e.g. Christian, Abyss even though Kurt Angle will probably bring them in the most money (but they're not really at that point).

I think all in all everyone is just getting a little tired of the same thing for a year non-stop

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

i dont mind cena personally but i am tired of seeing him overcome the odds every month with whoever is trying to take the title, obviously the wwe wants to protect their champion but jesus how many times must we watch supercena battle back from defeat,im more annoyed at the booking of the title matches,are we meant to believe randy orton is the ONLY guy on the roster chasing a title shot? look back at 2000-2004 you had austin,hhh,y2j,the rock,taker,angle,big show,hogan,brock,rvd all fighting each other for title shots and #1 contender matches, it gave a bit of variety to the title scene now its just month to month cena vs whoever, its got dull last year after he beat edge for it now its turning fans off the product,granted they dont have the star power they once had but a few more guys in the scene would at least make it more watchable,i never thought id say this but give HHH the title!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

amull87 wrote:
    I just don't think that he should be holding the belt for that long just because he's making them money and i know that is the whole goal of WWE but look at TNA (even with their faults), they give different people chances with the title e.g. Christian, Abyss even though Kurt Angle will probably bring them in the most money (but they're not really at that point).

Are you suggesting that WWE should take business advice from TNA?! If WWE ran TNA, Samoa Joe would be champ. Which is exactly what the majority of the TNA audience want

amull87 wrote:

I think all in all everyone is just getting a little tired of the same thing for a year non-stop

Did you not read Ramones post? Everybody is not sick of the same thing for a year. Kids are into it and they in fact represent a big part of WWE's audience.

And their parents money is just as good as ours supporting the product.

To be fair to the WWE, it's probably easier from a creative stand point and basically to make money to get kids into their product than young adult males who eulogize the attitude era.

Like I've said before, I would like a change for my personal enjoyment but I can see totally why they're not doing it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

krudler wrote:
    are we meant to believe randy orton is the ONLY guy on the roster chasing a title shot? look back at 2000-2004 you had austin,hhh,y2j,the rock,taker,angle,big show,hogan,brock,rvd all fighting each other for title shots and #1 contender matches, it gave a bit of variety to the title scene now its just month to month cena vs whoever, its got dull last year after he beat edge for it now its turning fans off the product,granted they dont have the star power they once had but a few more guys in the scene would at least make it more watchable,i never thought id say this but give HHH the title!

two of the main matches on raw last night consisted of
    Hacksaw Jim Duggan V shawn Davari and John Cena's old man V Randy Orton, throw in the womens tag match
    and you begin to realise Orton is the ONLY guy on the Raw roster chasing a title shot at present.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

I think it's a bit ridiculous to demand Cena lose the belt when he has finally started performing well, he doesn't even use the STFU to win anymore (fingers crossed) and I don't mind him being champion because I know I'll be ecstatic when he loses.
    The problem i have is not with him winning the PPV's, it's with the same storyline always being rehashed on Raw. Cena faces an impossible task etc. Khali/ Umaga too big. Ortan/ Lashley on top of their game, better physiche, psychological advantage etc. Just for once I would like to see Cena go into a PPV as a kayfabe favourite. Make the kids think he'll win for once, give them a massive shock but still come through.

Also, Cena doesn't come close to Hogan charisma wise

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭ec18

simple question.......would prefer to see orton/cena or the khali/batista punjabi prison match?

I agree that there aren't half the amount of superstars now as there were in the attitude era but surely that means it's time to allow some other wrestlers to make the step-up.

I'm talking about Matt Hardy, Rey Mysterio (obviously there now but keep him in the title picture), Shelton Bejamin, Carlito (seems to be happening to some degree, lets hope he doesn't mess it up!), Mr.Kennedy (we all know his story).

Actually, having just gone through the rosters on WWE.com, i've just realised that they really don't have anyone else!

ec18: Obviously the Orton/Cena match but that is mainly due to my liking of Orton and serious hatred of Khali...as JR said "he's no Andre" as much as Vince wants him to be

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭ec18

still even if orton wasn't a fav or even in the match would you rather see cena or khali wrestle?

oh definetly Cena, it's not like i hate the guy that much, i'd just personally prefer to have a more technical wrestler as Champion but as we've discussed that's not going to happen. I actually used to enjoy his rapping gimmick but this Army/Marine stuff is stupid (did he ever serve in any forces??). I think it's being really American and personally i don't like having that shoved down my throat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭fatal

amull87 wrote:
    oh definetly Cena, it's not like i hate the guy that much, i'd just personally prefer to have a more technical wrestler as Champion but as we've discussed that's not going to happen. I actually used to enjoy his rapping gimmick but this Army/Marine stuff is stupid (did he ever serve in any forces??). I think it's being really American and personally i don't like having that shoved down my throat.
    The UFC does the same thing with the "sporting our troops ****e" and yet no-one questions whether all of their fighters were in the marines or not.It is a way of American organistations to get over and get more viewers.Cena is not the only one doing it

But does Cena need the title. Would he not make enough money for the brand without it?

• Advertisement
Advertisement