Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Usenet download restrictions on NTL & IBB

Options
  • 17-09-2007 4:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 40

I'm thinking of getting IBB DSL or NTL and would like to know if there are linitations on download speeds for Usenet file downloads, such as using Giganews and the like ( in the same way that NTL restrics torrent downloads ). Also, how unlimited is IBB no download limits? 20 gb, 30 gb, 50gb?

Thanks

J

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stokolan

There should be no restrictions. My mate is on NTL 6mb and gets full whack. I also know people on IBB that are using it and getting max speed and have also downloaded 50+gigs a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 mrooqie

hi.

anyone can post any opinion about ibb dsl service?
    it is available in my area here. they say on the web - unlimited downloads etc. true? im really considering to swap over my digiweb and it's cap

• Registered Users Posts: 8,813 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

I'm on Smart 4MB and use GigaNews (with SSL enabled) with no problems, I get full speed....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Gryzor

if you use an SSL connection to giganews or the like, doesn't that stop traffic shaping on your connection???....i'm sure i read that on the giganews site...i can't access the giganews site from work to post the link...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,813 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

It depends how good the packet-shaper is the basic ones will not detect it but a half decent one nowadays will ( from memory packeteer at detect never in SSL but I may be wrong)... Worse case then could just slow ALL traffic going to known news servers IP ranges.

Also I get fast speed from the US Server then the EU...., so I don;t know if there is any shaping happening between Ireland and the EU Server....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

Joanamo wrote:
    I'm thinking of getting IBB DSL or NTL and would like to know if there are linitations on download speeds for Usenet file downloads, such as using Giganews and the like ( in the same way that NTL restrics torrent downloads ). Also, how unlimited is IBB no download limits? 20 gb, 30 gb, 50gb?

Thanks

J

There's no limits speed limits using NTL.

Advertisement