Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water Softeners! Do they Work? Recommended supplier!

Options
  • 17-09-2007 4:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭

Much appreciate if anybody can help, being on a water scheme for the past 5 years, noticed alot of build of lime in kettle,shower heads etc!! Never really bothered until we had two little monkeys( Kids)!! Does anybody know what type to get,price and where!!! I have seen different types, electrical coil, wrapped around the water supply pipe. Most common are the filteration type,which do different filter type!! I sent out a water sample to be tested!!
    Any help would much appreicated! Or if there is a thread that alreay cover this topic!! Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭mkem

Hi, you should get you water tested first. If it's just limescale, you can buy these magnets which go around your incoming water pipe and it distorts the water somehow. There are also low voltage electronic systems wich can be fitted. These can be bought in hardware stores / Ebay. If your water needs purification, you need to get someone like Perfect Water Systems in Charleville Co.Cork. who have agents all over the Country. Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 carlarua

We had a waterpurification system installed last year with the eco water system company . They install a purification system outside your house, which you will have to top up with salt tablets ; a reverse osmosis filter system is installed under your sink for drinking water (the quality of this is as good as bottled water). There is an immediate change in the quality of water after installation. And if you move house, you can take the system with you.
    And now for the price ;) . The cheapest system costs 3000 euro (with guarantuee). That is not cheap, but neither are clogged up pipes and breaking down electrical appliances (in the last few months before we had this installed, we had to replace 3 water kettles and a washing machine (only 3 years old, limescale everywhere), the kids had very dry skin (disappeared in a few weeks time).
    we had to break the bank to have this installed, but for us, it's worth it.
    There are other companies who do waterpurification systems as well, if you ring around, check if the 1st set of filters are included in the price offer, how long guarantee is and if installation is included
    The water treatment centre is located in Killbegan, co. westmeath, but installs nationwide
    take care

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭MikeOis

B] Mkem[/B]. thanks for the info on the electrical magnetic field around the pipe, but I'm a bit suspect of it. Carlarua thanks for your feedback, I think you have hit the nail on the head,kettles,washing machines,etc. They price is a bit saucy, didn't expect that, would haave thought around 1000 mark! Thanks,much appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 10 C Doyle

Hi Mike,

In reply to you water hardness problem, a water softener filtration system will do the job. unit installed under the sink & requires salt for regeneration.
    the only down side is that when water is softened the sodium level increases & is therefore not advised for making babies bottles etc. for this reason it is advisable not to treat cold water supply to kitchen sink, but to the rest of your house. I would normally charge about 950 euro for the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Worried!!

For those o you who are in the know, I am looking for a water purification system in a 3 bed semi.

Looking around on the internet, I have found this:

http://www.water2buy.ie/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=40

As I have very limited knowledge with this kind of thing, would a system like this be good enough for a whole house solution? There are only 2 of us in the property.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭renedescartes

Hi,
    I am here as well. Did you go with them and how did you get on? Any advice?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭jack of all

I bought a water softener for €550 and installed it myself (probably would have cost another €300 or so to have a plumber fit it); so for about €1000 you can eliminate limescale problems and damage to household appliances. I left the kitchen tap unsoftened. I see no reason to spend more than this for other water treatments, unless your drinking water is particularly "unpleasant".

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Triangle

As Jack above said - the best way is to DIY it - if you're in any way handy with plumbing.

I got a RO system off Ebay for €120 and installed it myself, 3 filtration companies were charging €500 + for the same job. (I'm in I.T. and have never plumbed before!!)

If you do get the salt softner in (we have), i'd recommend the RO system as well (if you can't keep the kitchen tap separate) for drinking water.

Get the make/model off the filtration company and check out the retail price of the hardware first - i've heard some companies seriously overcharge... i.e. H3O

Advertisement