Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Dropkick Murphys

• 17-09-2007 4:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,358 ✭✭✭✭

I'm heading into town after work today to pick up their new album, and it got me thinking, any fans here?

Not one person i know has heard of them until i told them (although they might recognise "I'm Shipping Up To Boston" from The Departed) so I've nobody to ask - have they every played in Ireland?

I presume they have(Celtic punk & all) but are their gigs here as raucous as in the states? (Crowd surfing, stage invasion etc.) I'd love to see them live, they're in my (rather eclectic & small) list of bands i must see live (them, AC/DC, Linkin Park & Gogol Bordello at the moment are in the list)

Any other fans??

Let's Go Murphys!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

I've never listened to a full album of theirs, but they make great music for a certain mood. A "let's get pissed" sort of mood! They've played here plenty of times I think, the last time being around the end of last year if I remember right. I've always heard good things about their gigs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭Rustar

Living roughly 50 miles from Boston as I do, you can't escape them. Especially if it looks like the Red Sox might be getting near the playoffs/World Series, because of their tie-in anthem, "Tessie". :):)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,358 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Really? Man I'd love to see them...

And ya, they're a great band to listen to for jump around the place madness mood also... They make a good soundtrack to half life also...

Murphys rule!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭jellikit

I'm a big fan although I haven't picked up the new album yet. I've got all their other stuff and I can highly recommend "Live on St. Patricks Day". I'd say they put on one hell of a show. I believe they played here a while back but I missed 'em . If your'e into this type of music you should also check out The Tossers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 mac_534

I saw them in the Spring and Airbrake in Befast last year, it was an awesome show, defo as raucous as they are in the states!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 196 ✭✭Dave H

They've played Ireland a couple of times, last year was the most recent, bulling I missed it. I think they supported the Pogues at Christmas a couple of years ago aswell.
    Great band but my only gripe is they're writing songs about Ireland and shouting Erin go brea and all that,but Boston is hardly "just off the coast of Ireland" now is it?
    Apart from that they're a great band,like a heavy metal Pogues.The Dirty Glass is possibly the greatest duet since Haunted.

Boston has always been "the most Irish city in America"....they even have their own Irish-oriented newspaper.

http://www.bostonirish.com/

Many of the politicians in the Boston area have traditionally been of Irish ancestry, including the Kennedys.

From Publishers Weekly:
    "The first Irish to arrive in Boston, in the early 18th century, were Protestants from Ulster and were thought of by the local gentry as "members of a barbaric, inferior, and unmanageable race." By the time of the potato famine of the 1840s, these Protestant Irish had assimilated into the population and thought much the same about the new Irish, overwhelmingly Catholic, who emigrated to avoid starvation."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭jellikit

Dave H wrote:
    I think they supported the Pogues at Christmas a couple of years ago aswell.
    QUOTE]

Yeah, I remember that, I'd heard that in previous gigs the Pogues were only giving them about 20- 30 mins to play a set so I didn't bother going.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

I did, and it was a damn cool show :) Dropkick Murphys were pretty uninspiring though, which was disappointing, as I'd heard great things.

Rustar wrote:
    Boston has always been "the most Irish city in America"....they even have their own Irish-oriented newspaper.

Many of the politicians in the Boston area have traditionally been of Irish ancestry, including the Kennedys.

From Publishers Weekly:
    "The first Irish to arrive in Boston, in the early 18th century, were Protestants from Ulster and were thought of by the local gentry as "members of a barbaric, inferior, and unmanageable race." By the time of the potato famine of the 1840s, these Protestant Irish had assimilated into the population and thought much the same about the new Irish, overwhelmingly Catholic, who emigrated to avoid starvation."

A fair point but far from being an opinion changer. They're still American.
    Anyway,enough of all that, this thread is about how good the band is, and that they are:D

• Advertisement

Rustar wrote:

From Publishers Weekly:

A fair point but far from being an opinion changer. They're still American.
    Anyway,enough of all that, this thread is about how good the band is, and that they are:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

They're very energetic live, I saw them in TBMC, full of sweaty, topless lads jumping around. They bring all the girls up on stage to jump around and are great with plecs/ autographs etc. lots of stage diving and crowd surfing too. Really good craic

|Cookies wrote:
    Pub music if you get me, couldn't sit down to listen to it!

Isn't that the whole point of Pub/Club music? The more active you are, the more you drink, and the more money the pub makes. Win/win situation! :)
    They've never claimed to be anything other than the Celtic-punk-bar band that they are.

Lil Kitten wrote:
    They bring all the girls up on stage to jump around and are great with plecs/ autographs etc. lots of stage diving and crowd surfing too. Really good craic
    Would that be allowed in a gig in ireland? With the quality of security staff around i really doubt it...

Am I wrong??

|Cookies wrote:
    ?? why wouldn't they be alowed do it? security staff are just there to stop punters breaking rules (running on stage, crowd surfing etc) .

when they played Dublin last year, they got everyone on stage, crowd surfed/jumped into the crowd etc..

You are being ironic, right?:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

dulpit wrote:
    Would that be allowed in a gig in ireland? With the quality of security staff around i really doubt it...

Am I wrong??

Well they did so.... It's not like its the Point, was only TBMC. And I'm sure they're insured etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭Thundercracker

love this band

• Closed Accounts Posts: 625 ✭✭✭princess-sprkle

they played a certain venue on o'connell street last november.
    they pulled us up on stage cause we were in the front row, gave us all hugs and lept about doing jigs and stuff. one of my all time favourite gigs, class band. i really like the new alb too.

so if they come back, everyone go!its unreal as a live show

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

yeah i seen them in eamon dorans and also the village i think it was many moons ago crazy gigs as mentioned above lots of crowd surfing and stage invading i think at the end every member of the audience had been on the stage at some point,great nights out some cool merch still have one of the Dropkick murphys jerseys lying around somewhere....must dig it out

....So the Red Sox win game 7 against Cleveland in the playoffs to go to the World Series, and as they're jumping up and down in celebration, what's the first thing I hear?

"Tessie" :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I have a couple of their songs on my mp3 player. I really like their version of The Auld Triangle and 'I'm Shipping Up to Boston' is a great track too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭tristanc

One of my fav bands, and my all time fave live performers. The only band I would (and have) travel multiple hours to see. They're touring the US at the moment for the new album, I'd guess they come over here on tour soon enough after.

Brilliant news! Dropkick murphys are touring the UK & Ireland next year, playing dublin on the 31st January in Tripod, and are playing Belfast in Mandela Hall on the 2nd February...

Trip to dublin in january is in order methinks... :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭Skinfull

I got me my tickets sorted! WOOT!

Should be a crackin gig what with the new album being as top notch as it is! Looking forward to seeing them play Farimont Hill Live and see hwo that feels.

Problem for me is to find someone to go with, seen as none of my friends are into the dropkick murphys, this could be difficult...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭Skinfull

You dont need someone to go with to go to a Murphys gig! Sure the one in temple bar a couple of years ago I was there with a friend on crutches who elected to stay back against the wall leaving me to my own devices! 10 minutes later we had an improtu reel goin on in the mosh pit with a crowd of strangers! Class!
    Just say hi to someone and you'll be grand! (I'll be there...you'll recognise me coz I'll have my murphys tee shirt on!)

Skinfull wrote: »
    (I'll be there...you'll recognise me coz I'll have my murphys tee shirt on!)

I'm sure you'll be dead easy to find :D

I'm pretty sure i'll be able to get the lads to go, one has said he will already, just cos of a chance for a piss up in dublin... With the tickets being quite cheap (€26 or something) they're more likely to...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Alter-Ego

Tickets work out much cheaper on tickets.ie than ticketmaster for anybody buying.

Alter-Ego wrote: »
    Tickets work out much cheaper on tickets.ie than ticketmaster for anybody buying.

Are they on sale on both?? Odd...

• Advertisement
Advertisement