Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blackberry Curve 8310 on O2

• 17-09-2007 5:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭

I am still trying to decide what phone to get (Blackberry / Orbit XDA) but for what its worth to anyone I have been told by o2 that they will have the 8310 available from mid November.

No new XDAs appear to be in testing phase atm for release over the coming months.

Was also told that they will not be making available any phones with skype talk or any other wifi facility. Guess Skype talk was a little too much to hope for :(:(:(

Not sure if its worth holding out for the 8310 or if the current Orbit is the better option so any advice is appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Dougals Daddy

Great phone and I'm very happy with my second Blackberry in 3 years BUT be warned VODAFONE Ireland is not supporting the GPS Maps facility even though its listed as a feature of the phone on their website.So it won't display any maps even without the GPS function.Pity.
    I notice Vodafone UK are shipping the same phone with a sat nav option which uses the maps and GPS function to its full potential.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭Puteq

panacea wrote: »
    Not sure if its worth holding out for the 8310 or if the current Orbit is the better option so any advice is appreciated.

Well I'm not sure if this is any help to you, but I was looking into getting the 8310 (upgrading from the Blackberry Pearl 8100) and just googled some pics - it seems very wide, more like the older blackberrys. I was impressed with the 8100 as the first blackberry that passed as a decent phone too, but they seem to have taken a step backwards with the 8310.

Maybe I am wrong or my googling was confused, but the pics defintiely made it seem that way, though I should say I have not handled one myself TBH

• Registered Users Posts: 5 nOELEE

dON.T get the xda orbit - I did & I'm sorry- no support whatsoever from O2 - got the blackberry since and is really excellrnt !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 233 ✭✭slayer91

Have the BB 8310 and it is a very good phone, excellent features and usability. The multimedia functions are great improved from previous models and it is has a standard 3.5mm jack for headphones.

Previous poster mentioned that the BB maps with the GPS are not supported by Vodafone Ireland and I can confirm that, but why.... Does anyone have information why they are not supported???

Regards

Liam

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭storka

Great phone and I'm very happy with my second Blackberry in 3 years BUT be warned VODAFONE Ireland is not supporting the GPS Maps facility even though its listed as a feature of the phone on their website.So it won't display any maps even without the GPS function.Pity.
    I notice Vodafone UK are shipping the same phone with a sat nav option which uses the maps and GPS function to its full potential.

My dad has this as a work phone on Vodafone and his GPS mapping works!?
    He can find his location and it tracks his position as he drives.

It's a good phone, and the camera is not bad either. He tried out the Pearl first which is complete muck!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭darraghrogan

What's the problem with the pearl (as I am also looking at one on ebay atm ;-))

Interface?

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭richieg

I would say it is to do with the suretype keyboard. You either love it or hate it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Mad_Mike

Can anybody answer regarding the maps and if they work or not or what exactly is disabled? Is it that they dont supply Blackberry Maps? Cant you use Google Maps on it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 233 ✭✭slayer91

Y are in luck, just got telemap from Vodafone, blackberry maps and google maps working on my 087 blackberry curve 8310.

Go to OPTIONS - ADVANCED OPTIONS - SERVICE BOOK make sure that the following books along with the rest of the books need to be installed :

Blackberry Internet Browsing Service
    IPPP for BIBS

If they are not, ring your operator help desk services and ask to speak to the DATA suport people. Get them to send y the books OTA.

When y d/l and install the apps, make sure the application permissions are all set to ALLOW.

Lastly, with Google Maps, you must make sure to have the GPS started before running it as it does have the ability to turn the GPS from within the app.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

I'm due a Blackberry 8310 in the next day or so but would only be so/so with phones etc, how easy is it to change my current mobile no over to it?
    I just have a regular Nokia, do I take out the SIM or what?

• Advertisement
Advertisement