Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Purity

Options
  • 17-09-2007 5:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭

Was wondering what the consensus was with animal testing and vegtarianism, what I mean is practically every drug and or treatment was tested on animals during clinical trials and if not many were at the r and d level.

Which means practically everyone alive has a connection with animal testing, how do the more extreme V's here reconcile this?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

sure one of the founding members of Peta has to take insulin, which is derived from animal testing.. she doesn't seem to have much of a problem taking it, and condoning the firebombing of animal testing labs, why would vegetarians.

hypocrites are what hypocrites do

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

estariol wrote:
    Was wondering what the consensus was with animal testing and vegtarianism, what I mean is practically every drug and or treatment was tested on animals during clinical trials and if not many were at the r and d level.

Which means practically everyone alive has a connection with animal testing, how do the more extreme V's here reconcile this?
    People are vegan for different reasons, some would not care about the testing, some would look for an alternative to the tested drug. There are alternatives in medical testing apart from animal testing at this stage. Some say that they may as well use something to save their life, they can't undo the testing and why die.

A lot realise, it is not about 'purity', but about being as vegan as they can be. Animals may have to get hurt in a persons life but they do their best to minimise it.

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Nature Boy

For pratically everything we (as in the human race) eat, drink, wear, use etc the chances are that an animal, a human, the environment or something else has been harmed along the production line.

It's pretty much impossible to use or eat things that are 100% ethically sound; but it's not impossible to try to be part of the solution.

P.S. I avoid animal tested products wherever possible

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭estariol

So I guess what your all seem to be saying is you make the choices where you can!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Yeah, just try to live as best as you can.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭lizzyvera

I can be perfectly healthy without eating meat but I wouldn't be without the advances of science and medicine.
    I think animal testing is justifiable and necessary in some cases- not for cosmetics though!

Advertisement