Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mod for boxing forum.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

big ears will do

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

RuggieBear wrote:
    big ears will do
    icon14.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

But does the forum need a active moderator?

if people report posts i can look after the crap but i'm not a boxing afficianado so i can't exactly help with the promotion and building of a "community"

RuggieBear wrote:
    if people report posts i can look after the crap but i'm not a boxing afficianado so i can't exactly help with the promotion and building of a "community"

They spend their time hitting each other, who the hell is going to take on the job of "building the community". There is nothing stopping normal users building the community, reporting posts or requesting the occasional sticky.

I think theres a myth here that mods read every post and lay down the law when a user goes bad instead of the norm which is that they run off of reported posts.

Just seems pointless making mods for small light traffic forums with a close community that doesn't need active moderation.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

krazy_8s wrote:
    I think theres a myth here that mods read every post and lay down the law when a user goes bad instead of the norm which is that they run off of reported posts.

Just seems pointless making mods for small light traffic forums with a close community that doesn't need active moderation.

Well I personally do read pretty much every thread and post in the forums that I mod.

In the Classical forum, as it was so quiet when I started to mod it I made a point of trying to reply to any threads started there to encourage posters and now we have a small but thriving community. So a mod who is interested in the topic can make a difference to its forum.

Well I personally do read pretty much every thread and post in the forums that I mod.

Great, some mods do this. Some don't. The argument here is not if the mod reads the forums, but do they need one.
    In the Classical forum, as it was so quiet when I started to mod it I made a point of trying to reply to any threads started there to encourage posters and now we have a small but thriving community. So a mod who is interested in the topic can make a difference to its forum.

I'm sorry but I fail to see the distinction here between a active poster and a active mod. What is stopping you from posting when you are not a mod and building a small and thriving community?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

There isn't really one. I still used to post on and off in Classical when I wasn't a mod but once it was my watch I made more of an effort to try and get things going, it was more personal then.

It's also good to have a mod who's an "expert" in the chosen topic as they can sometimes arbitrate more fairly than, as in this example, the CMod of the category or they may spot something that could develop into a flame war before it happens simply because they know more about the subject.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

krazy_8s wrote:
    I'm sorry but I fail to see the distinction here between a active poster and a active mod. What is stopping you from posting when you are not a mod and building a small and thriving community?

Occasionally, and especially in sports forums, fights break out between posters over teams/players/whatever. If you're going to have someone breaking these up and issuing warnings then it's far better (imho) to have a regular contributor who is respected within the forum doing it than a user who is a general unknown who doesn't follow the forum very closely.

There isn't really one. I still used to post on and off in Classical when I wasn't a mod but once it was my watch I made more of an effort to try and get things going, it was more personal then.

Some people thrive on responsibility, some get lazy and others abuse the power. Making a poster a mod does not guarantee the same effect that it had on you.
    It's also good to have a mod who's an "expert" in the chosen topic as they can sometimes arbitrate more fairly than, as in this example, the CMod of the category or they may spot something that could develop into a flame war before it happens simply because they know more about the subject.

Its a quiet forum, there are no flame wars and ones that get started can be removed/stopped by the report post button. A new mod could also alienate the current posters and atmosphere by getting ban and warning friendly.
    nesf wrote:
    Occasionally, and especially in sports forums, fights break out between posters over teams/players/whatever. If you're going to have someone breaking these up and issuing warnings then it's far better (imho) to have a regular contributor who is respected within the forum doing it than a user who is a general unknown who doesn't follow the forum very closely.

Occasionally a person who follows sports can take up a unhealthy obsession with believing that their side is always the best. Fights break out and he uses his biased opinion that everybody on the other side of the fence is in the wrong. A un-biased mod(aka Ruggie) would look at it and make a sensible decision.

After the ban has been handed out it doesn't make a difference who gave it as you are banned.

Its a small forum, it doesn't need to be moderated closely.

Ohh, and I vote Big Ears. I like the name.

• Advertisement

"unbiased", moi?:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Ruggies is a power hungry demon. You just don't know it yet.

I didn't get that when I met him. He was sitting on a chair, stroking a white cat and laughing maniacly over a world map. Nothing out of the ordinary.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭King of Kings

RuggieBear wrote:
    big ears will do

bigears is good but we'd need another. I'd vote for john

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭mickoo

dlofnep also has an interest on the forum and cowzerp has said he'll do it and he's boxed internationally and has great interest in the forum, walshb was also a top boxer and contributes well and big ears has a good knowledge of boxing, -there needs to be an active mod or 2 as people come on abusing boxing occasionally and off topic and nothing is ever done about it..there is plenty of interest in the forum

mickoo wrote:
    dlofnep also has an interest on the forum and cowzerp has said he'll do it and he's boxed internationally and has great interest in the forum, walshb was also a top boxer and contributes well and big ears has a good knowledge of boxing, -there needs to be an active mod or 2 as people come on abusing boxing occasionally and off topic and nothing is ever done about it..there is plenty of interest in the forum
    do you report the posts?

the other week there was 1 fella causing loads of trouble abusing boxing and it went unpunished, the point is, if you where interested in the forum like the other lads you would have seen that yourself-did nobody report it?

This is a story about four people named Everybody, Somebody, Anybody and Nobody.

There was an important job to be done and Everybody was sure that Somebody would do it. Anybody could have done it, but Nobody did it. Somebody got angry about that, because it was Everybody's job. Everybody thought Anybody could do it, but Nobody realised that Everybody wouldn't do it. It ended up that Everybody blamed Somebody when Nobody did what Anybody could have.

:)

RuggieBear wrote:
    This is a story about four people named Everybody, Somebody, Anybody and Nobody.

There was an important job to be done and Everybody was sure that Somebody would do it. Anybody could have done it, but Nobody did it. Somebody got angry about that, because it was Everybody's job. Everybody thought Anybody could do it, but Nobody realised that Everybody wouldn't do it. It ended up that Everybody blamed Somebody when Nobody did what Anybody could have.

:)
    ok? very helpful! you must be bored.

the point is if you were so concerned with a troll at least one of you should have reported the posts. It's simple.

oh and i'm very bored. I'm sitting at home trying not to puke my guts up. :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

puke, or puke not. There is no try.

tbh wrote:
    puke, or puke not. There is no try.
    bleugh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

ah well. At least you tried :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

When I was Cat Mod, I was subscribed to the boxing forum, I read it regularly. There were however several times when a post went unreported and trouble flared. I usually received PMs at these times if at all.

I put in the charter to report posts I said it on several threads that users should report posts yet nobody did it.

It's very frustrating for a moderator, who does not have all the time in the world to read every singl thread in every forum they mod, to come online some day to find anarchy has broken out because someone closed the lines of communication by not reporting a post and then start to bitch and moan that the mod is doing his/her job properly etc.

It's a two way street, co-operation is required on both sides and if the boxing forum regulars can't respect that then I don't see why they should be involved in the decision to appoint a new mod.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

The boxing forum is generally very good with minimum bitching till someone from an anti boxing background comes on to tell us how bad we are! if i was mod last week i would of warned the poster for off topic discussion then banned him for continuing..also the poster was reported.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

and i'm pretty sure i banned booksmarts for that trolling having seen the reported post.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

good stuff if you did, but is that normally told to all on the board? he was obnoxious and totally upset everyone..

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

cowzerp wrote:
    good stuff if you did, but is that normally told to all on the board? he was obnoxious and totally upset everyone..
    yeah, i normally do but i was busy at work and was in a bit of a rush. just got the reported post, had a look at his general contribution and banned him. 10 seconds out of my life.:)

To summarise.

You say you need a active mod

The argument is put against you that if its a quiet forum all you need to do is report a post.

You start putting up examples of where nobody reported a post, or where one was reported and the user was banned.

Although I don't care if any members of the boxing forum become mods, I don't see the point in making a mod in a forum that can be policed by its users. Now try that with AH........

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

You reall think that it hasn't been tried ?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement