Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mod for boxing forum.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

The problem is that moderators are there to perform a function and currently that function is being carried out fine in the Boxing Forum. What appears to be a problem is that the users dont report posts.

Changing the mod for the sake of it is a waste of time and if I was the current mod i would be insulted.

Seriously, what isnt being done that needs to be done? Links to examples please.

The users of a forum dont own it. If there are any genuine problems then fine ... but there aren't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Who said we owned it? Are you just here to argue and inflate your ego? The problems were already outlined (mod isn't active in the forum, we don't have a mod who's actively promoting activity in the forum, people can take threads off topic without anything happening. it's not our place to report posts and to the majority of the posters, that little report post icon isn't exactly noticable.) We're done here. We'll do without a new mod. So long as we don't have to listen to 6th ever again.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Well DeV himself has said recently enough that a mod doesn't have to be active on the forums the moderate.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Strange one this but if people actually used the "report post" button, the mod gets an e-mail straightaway. Whether he/she is active or not becomes irrelevant.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Well DeV himself has said recently enough that a mod doesn't have to be active on the forums the moderate.

It's ok. Don't worry about it. On alot of other forums, the moderator's are generally active on the forum and contribute which is why I brought up the initial query. It's just a convention I'm used to. If you don't think we need a moderator, then we don't.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

dlofnep wrote:
    It's just a convention I'm used to. If you don't think we need a moderator, then we don't.

You have a moderator.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

dlofnep wrote:
    it's not our place to report posts and to the majority of the posters, that little report post icon isn't exactly noticable

And thats why you should never be a mod.

From my understanding of boards, if a forum really needs a moderator a active poster is found who reports posts, is not a prick(Bostons out) and does try to keep the forums tidy as best he can.

If one can't be found, then they just put another mod in charge of that forum or leave the cmod to it.

You say you need a mod that cares about boxing and the forum, but nobody on the forum bothers reporting these offending posts. So nobody on the forum cares.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

conn what is your problem with dlofnep wanting an active mod on the forum, someone who likes boxing and wants to promote the forum and help it grow, not just wait for an email and then check up on it, ruggiebear has plenty of other forums to moderate and i dont know why the people who use the forum cant moderate it? are you a facist? as we're living in a democracy?

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

cowzerp wrote:
    conn what is your problem with dlofnep wanting an active mod on the forum, someone who likes boxing and wants to promote the forum and help it grow, not just wait for an email and then check up on it, ruggiebear has plenty of other forums to moderate and i dont know why the people who use the forum cant moderate it? are you a facist? as we're living in a democracy?

Hehe. Boards is not a democracy.

• Advertisement

cowzerp wrote:

How will one of ye being mod help promote the forum and help it grow?

cowzerp wrote:

You do know its a admin's decision, nobody else's. Ruggie might have a say as to who gets the job, but he can't make somebody a admin.

But if they ask you the question "Why?", can you come up with anything better then "nobody bothered reporting posts or requesting stickys so our forums gone to ****"? It's a pretty pathetic answer whatever way you try to phrase it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

While I agree that the boxing forum probably doesn't need any more moderation than Ruggie's, I'm curious as to why such a fight is being put up against them being given a specific mod? There's many much quieter forums that have several moderators. Why has everyone jumped on the bandwagon here and declared that one specific forum doesn't need a subject-specific moderator?

dlofnep wrote:
    Who said we owned it? Are you just here to argue and inflate your ego? The problems were already outlined (mod isn't active in the forum, we don't have a mod who's actively promoting activity in the forum, people can take threads off topic without anything happening. it's not our place to report posts and to the majority of the posters, that little report post icon isn't exactly noticable.) We're done here. We'll do without a new mod. So long as we don't have to listen to 6th ever again.

Christ you really dont get it? Maybe one too many punches to the head.

Heres how it is:

1) Posters who cant report posts = bad posters + would be bad mods

2) Posters who report posts and build the community = good posters

3) Mod who doesnt respond to reported posts = bad mod

4) Mod who acts once a post is reported = good mod

Its looking like we have a case of 1 and 4.

The people on the forum want an active mod, why would anyone object to this? should a mod not have an interest in the subject he or she is moderating, or is this all about power? if it is its a little sad-we would like active mods like all the other forums i use and dont understand why anyone would try to knock this idea!

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭alanceltic

why does everyone want to be a MOD, i knew a few SKA heads and they were much better craic

• Registered Users Posts: 46,104 ✭✭✭✭muffler

dlofnep wrote:
    it's not our place to report posts and to the majority of the posters, that little report post icon isn't exactly noticable.

And your ma still spoon feeds you.

ffs get a grip

Faith wrote:
    While I agree that the boxing forum probably doesn't need any more moderation than Ruggie's, I'm curious as to why such a fight is being put up against them being given a specific mod? There's many much quieter forums that have several moderators. Why has everyone jumped on the bandwagon here and declared that one specific forum doesn't need a subject-specific moderator?

Well I'm on it because they are requesting a mod who is a forum regular, stating that the current modding of the forum is inadequite. I personally find this a joke seeing as that when posters report a post Ruggie does what he needs to do. Ruggie seems like a good sort and a good mod, I seriously doubt he is anything but efficient.

They just want a mod who is "one of them" if they can't build the community themselves as posters then an "active" mod isnt going to makeone bit of difference.

If I am wrong can someone point out how?

cowzerp wrote:
    The people on the forum want an active mod, why would anyone object to this? should a mod not have an interest in the subject he or she is moderating, or is this all about power? if it is its a little sad-we would like active mods like all the other forums i use and dont understand why anyone would try to knock this idea!

What is it you want done that the current mod isn't doing and that users of the forum cant do themselves? Please just answer that question.

6th wrote:
    Christ you really dont get it? Maybe one too many punches to the head.

Heres how it is:

1) Posters who cant report posts = bad posters + would be bad mods
    i did report the post that caused all this and it was dealt with apparently but no one on the board was aware of it been dealt with as it was not told to us when i reported it, it was after a number of times the offender upsetting everyone-this could of been knocked on the head if a mod had of read it early on, normally there is not any arguments to report, anyway-this is not about knocking the present mod, but making the new mod more accessible and knowledgable on the forum thats moderated on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46,104 ✭✭✭✭muffler

cowzerp wrote:
    or is this all about power?
    Of course it is. Why else do you think we do this.

cowzerp wrote:

I can understand why you want a mod that posts on the forum on a regular basis. But a mod does not have to do this to be a good mod.

One of the reasons you want one of you own is because he'll help promote and build the forum. How will one of ye being mod do this?

muffler wrote:
    dlofnep wrote:
    it's not our place to report posts and to the majority of the posters, that little report post icon isn't exactly noticable.

And your ma still spoon feeds you.

ffs get a grip

Damn I want to give you rep so bad!

cowzerp wrote:
    i did report the post that caused all this and it was dealt with apparently but no one on the board was aware of that as it was not told to us and when i reported it, it was after a number of times the offender upsetting everyone-this could of been knocked on the head if a mod had of read it early on, normally there is not any arguments to report, anyway-this is not about knocking the present mod, but making the new mod more accessible and knowledgable on the forum thats moderated on.

So you want a new mod based on one incident that was dealt with all because Ruggie didnt send you all a memo?

You do realise that mods deal with alot more shit than you realise and are under no obligation to inform you about it.

Faith wrote:

Because I have seen this question come up before, and it was either Devore or Regi asked the same thing. Why?

You could say, its a high traffic forum and Ruggie should be off doing cMod things. Or that its expanding in size and may need another moderator to take the load off of Ruggie if it gets any bigger. And it might be a good idea to do that before it happens. Or that due to most boxers attitude a visible mod presence would be helpful to quiet down topics so that you would not have to report so many posts(but you can't use this one).

There is a nice little community on the boxing forum at the moment and ruggie is not part of that-a mod that is active will try to keep posts going and create an interest in the boxing forum by posting new ideas-as it stands we try to do that but if we cant moderate our own forum then it all seems a bit petty-there is other forums and this is the 1 we are using, does anyone not agree that an active moderator is better? most people on the boxing forum would not even know ruggie is the mod, i go on the martial arts forum and speak regularly with the martial arts mods who all talk about martial arts. it makes it more personal..

cowzerp wrote:
    normally there is not any arguments to report, anyway-this is not about knocking the present mod, but making the new mod more accessible and knowledgable on the forum thats moderated on.

So here you go, they dont need a new mod they just want one.

Listen I use the Paranormal Forum and am one of the first people to help out with me knowledge on the subject. I also organise drinks and outings. I inform people about upcoming evenets, books etc ..... I do all this without being a mod and if I'm honest I do a damn fine job. The forum doesnt need another mod but if it did I would gladly do it.

So basically you dont need to be a mod to make a forum better. And amod doesnt need to participate to be a good mod.

6th wrote:
    And amod doesnt need to participate to be a good mod.
    i strongly disagree. and a mod should have an interest in the topic unless no one else is willing to do it.

6th wrote:
    So here you go, they dont need a new mod they just want one.

Listen I use the Paranormal Forum and am one of the first people to help out with me knowledge on the subject. I also organise drinks and outings. I inform people about upcoming evenets, books etc ..... I do all this without being a mod and if I'm honest I do a damn fine job. The forum doesnt need another mod but if it did I would gladly do it.

So basically you dont need to be a mod to make a forum better. And amod doesnt need to participate to be a good mod.

Pretty much.

• Advertisement

cowzerp wrote:
    i strongly disagree.

Ok but that doesnt mean you are right.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement