Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Java books?

Options
  • 17-09-2007 6:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭

Hi there, studied Java last year in college - but we won't be tipping much this year on it so I want to study on my own time. I'm looking for a practical book that can act as a reference manual.. something to systematically break Java down and possibly give practical applications to make at the end of each chapter. Ideally something that includes swing, networking and just generally expanding on OOB, objects, inheritance and so forth..

Anyone have any recommendations.. Beginner to intermediate level'ish.

:)

Thanks,
    John.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

"page deleted" ?

All I get here is "page deleted".

Have you read this one personally yourself? If so - what's the name of it, I'll try find the ebook elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭easyontheeye

actually its a link to a rake of free online oreilly ebooks, shame you cant access it because theres loads of good free java/unix/perl and networking books on it. are you using mozilla or IE?

IE.

I can find ebooks everywhere.. especially a wealth of Java ones. I'm fine for resources, just looking for something that people personally recommend.

ah i get ya, ive always stuck by the oreilly books...thats just me.

• Advertisement

Ok - i'll check amazon and have a look at the reviews for the o'reilly java books.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

Dunno if it's what you're looking for, but it's probably worth a look at least: Thinking in Java. The 3rd ed. is available as a free download. I haven't read it, but I enjoyed the author's 'Thinking in C++' and TiJ has gotten similar rave reviews.

Cheers Cake. I'll have a read of it a lil bit later when it dies down in work.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭cousin_borat

<snip/>
    That's some pretty ancient stuff there for Java 1.3. EJB 1.0 and 1.1.
    Not much point in posting out of date material in any case.

That's some pretty ancient stuff there for Java 1.3. EJB 1.0 and 1.1.
    Not much point in posting out of date material in any case.

ok :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

easyontheeye - In future can you ensure that matieral you link to is not a copyright violation? I've deleted the posts with the link. Cousin_Borat: I've removed the link from your post.

I don't like editing/deleting posts but we have to be careful about this things. Just so you know.

Thanks.

Advertisement