Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

connect to vista printer from xp machine

• 17-09-2007 6:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 47

I have a home network with a vista home premium pc and a canon pixma printer connected to it and a xp pc. When the network was all xp I could print from any pc but now even though i have the driver installed on the xp i cannot print. But if i connect to the printer through network places on the xp machine then enter my admin password i can print. But when you reboot the whole process has to be repeated. Any ideas?

Comments

What versions of XP and Vista were you using?

For example, the home SKUs of Vista cannot save network passwords. So if you had XP Pro, it would have saved the password so the printer worked automatically. But in Vista Home Basic or Home Premium (or XP Home Edition for that matter) it will always prompt for the password.

The only workaround in this case is to enable guest sharing on the machine sharing the printer. That will allow guest login and bypass the password prompt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

There is another method with the Home version for the username/password to be saved the XP machines must have the same username/password that is used on Windows Vista as their log on account as well.

So basically all machines must use the exact same username and password when you log into Windows for it to save the user/pass.

If you do not wish to do that then in Vista go into control panel\networking and sharing center and turn off password protected sharing and that will stop it asking for a user/pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Bravadin

Thanks 8T8 that worked perfectly. Much obliged

Advertisement