Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stained with Cuprinol: Sandstone paving stones...Help!

Options
  • 17-09-2007 7:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 24

While spraying Cuprinol (sprayable fence treatment) on the back fence, some drops went over the fence and stained my neighbour's brand new sandstone paving slabs. :eek:

She's tried sugar soap, pavment cleaner and hard scrubbing and I also called a guy about power-hosing it but he said it may or may not work as the stain has probably soaked in.

The Cuprinol website only accepts queries from the UK but I'm going to call them tomorrow.

If anyone's got ANY suggestions of products or people I can pester, I'd really appreciate it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,165 ✭✭✭10-10-20

You'll have to ask them which solvent will act on the dried substance.
    There was a thread about this recently - somebody got it on a car... the neighbours car... and he had to have it resprayed.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,675 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i know someone who had to throw out half a washing machine load of bedlinen because her neighbour sprayed it with fence scumble.

those packs should ideally carry clear warnings about what can go wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 martipants

Thanks for tips 10-10-20 ...and the fright about respraying the neighbour's car!

I agree with magicbastarder... they should really explain the potential neighbourhood wars that this stuff can provoke!

Luckily my neighbour's really nice and isn't too p***ed off but I feel really bad 'cos she's just got her garden done.

Offer to do the rest of the slabs to match?

If they are concrete slabs, would scouring be an option? Those metal scour pads that you can get in shops will leave a mark for a short while...

I take no responsibility for any damage caused - test on a small area beforehand... :)

The paving slabs are sandstone so there'll be no scouring:eek:

My brother's a mechanic and said a thing that they use called "carb cleaner" might work if just dabbed on lightly.

I've also heard that Coca Cola's great for nasty stains!

Whatever we try, we'll do a discreet patch test first.

• Advertisement

Carb cleaner! Classic.
    You're right though. It's IPA (isopropyl alcohol) afik....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭Moanin

Coke will prob do the job alright.Give it a try anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 27,164 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Are the slabs cemented in?
    If not can you just flip them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭The Novacastrian

I sprayed ours with Cuprinol also and destroyed the fence posts in between, of course she went mad (women, eh!), so I went at it with a wire brush and a wire attachment for a drill, it will 'grind' it off no problem.

Again, try it on a test piece first.

Yeah Goslie, I've already given up on our fence posts!

Sure, they'll weather! :)

Great idea about flipping the slabs Greebo, I'll check it out.

• Advertisement

The sugar soap worked!
    Well, faded it a good bit.
    :)

Advertisement