Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Configure router as host, with IP assigned via DHCP

Options
  • 17-09-2007 7:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 39

I have the following wi-fi router:
    Netopia Model 2247NWG-VGx Wireless DSL Ethernet Managed Switch Running Netopia SOC OS version 7.6.0 (build r3)
    Multimode ADSL Capable

I can't seem to find a way to configure it such that it obtains it's own IP address via DHCP.

I have a cable-modem providing broadband, but it only provides 1 IP address (a class A public: 83.x.x.x). It provides this via DHCP, so if a host machine is set to dynamically obtain it's IP address - all works fine.

I however, want multiple machines to have internet access. So, I have connected the wi-fi router to the cable modem and want to set it such that it acts as a host getting it's own IP address via DHCP (i.e. the DHCP server running on the cable modem). I then intend to set up NAT to provide multi-machine access to the home network.

I can't find a setting on this router to configure it as a DHCP-client? Does anyone know how?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

So you have DSL. You can do away with the modem altogether as that model eircom supplies has a DSL modem built in. Just connect the filtered output from the microfilter in your phone socket to your router. Enable wifi on the router [enabled by default and be sure to use WPA encryption instead of WEP].

Enable DHCP on the router. Open up http://192.168.1.254 [unless you changed the router's IP address] to set this up. It could be under Expert mode.

Once this is done, all clients -- whether connected by cable or wirelessly -- will receive an IP address by DHCP, provided, of course, you have set the computers to receive an IP address by DHCP.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭CptSternn

Ethernet is right, but, a bit more on the answer...

Your trying to set this up all wrong. Routers, switches, and hubs don't get IP addresses - they are appliances in which routing occurs or passes through.

If you trying to setup net access for your wi-fi network, you don't need your router to have an IP, what you need is all the computers on your network to connect to that router.

Then, connect your cable modem into the uplink port of the router/switch - then everything connected to your router/switch will be on the net - the router does all the NAT and DHCP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

CptSternn wrote:
    Routers, switches, and hubs don't get IP addresses - they are appliances in which routing occurs or passes through.

Routers would have IP addresses assigned to the various interfaces on them so it's not correct to say that they don't get IP addresses. Layer 3 switches would also have an IP address.

Cheers
    Rory

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 rcly123

ethernet wrote:
    So you have DSL. You can do away with the modem altogether as that model eircom supplies has a DSL modem built in. Just connect the filtered output from the microfilter in your phone socket to your router.

This might be the problem. I'm trying to use the router on a network who's broadband is provided by cable (not over the phone line). The broadband is terminated by a broadband modem with RJ45 connector. I've tried to set it up by bypassing the RJ11 WAN connection of the router, and connected the cable modem to the router, to the pc, via RJ45's. Is this maybe the problem, I'm now thinking I might need a different router.
    ethernet wrote:
    Enable DHCP on the router. Open up http://192.168.1.254 [unless you changed the router's IP address] to set this up. It could be under Expert mode.
    That part is no problem, but thanks.
    ethernet wrote:
    Once this is done, all clients -- whether connected by cable or wirelessly -- will receive an IP address by DHCP, provided, of course, you have set the computers to receive an IP address by DHCP.

Trouble is, the cable ISP seems to be using IP Provisioning, so that only one external (class A, public 83.x.x.x) address is issued to the first device it "sees". Hence, why I wanted to allocated this to the router, and use NAT to provide multiple home-network clients with inside addresses.

Is the problem, that I cannot just bypass the "dsl" RJ11 WAN connection?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭bushy...

You have the wrong type of router for your setup . You need one with an ethernet (rj45) connection for the WAN side. The netopia is just too braindead so you'll need something like one of these: http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=306987 .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,148 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

Yup as advised you need a router which will accept an ethernet connection on the external interface. The alternative would be to add a 2nd NIC to your main PC and use it as a proxy for the others, making it your router. Some mbd.s come with 2 these days as std. so this might be more economical short-term, if a bit more of a pain to manage.

And sorry this couldn't slide:
    CptSternn wrote:
    Ethernet is right, but, a bit more on the answer...

Your trying to set this up all wrong. Routers, switches, and hubs don't get IP addresses - they are appliances in which routing occurs or passes through.

:eek: (Sig.) CCNP/MCSE? C'mon, the post or sig., one of them is taking the piss.

Excuse me? I have my MSCE and CCNP. I take that comment as a personal attack mate, so I advise you to apologise.

Also, you can't assign an IP via DHCP to a router. I don't know what yer on about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Snowbat

It may not be available in Ciscos and Junipers but having an IP address assigned to a router via DHCP is the default configuration for standalone residential NAT routers (eg. "Automatic Configuration - DHCP" on Linksys WRT54G) as cable tv operators providing a broadband internet service normally use DHCP to allocate public IP addresses to customer equipment.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,148 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

CptSternn wrote:
    Excuse me? I have my MSCE and CCNP. I take that comment as a personal attack mate, so I advise you to apologise.

Also, you can't assign an IP via DHCP to a router. I don't know what yer on about.

Look, nothing personal, but if you go to the pains of stating your network certifications in your sig. be prepared to have a post that absolutely flies in the face of the most basic structure of a router criticised. Yes they need interfaces with IP addresses in order to be able to actually route traffic, and yes they can be assigned with DHCP ....this is CCNA/Intro level (hell home internet user level) stuff. If you hadn't posted CCNP in your sig. I wouldn't have said a thing but you've essentially put a big target on your head for something this blatant when your sig. credentials are likely to add weight to your arguments with some poor guy who doesn't know any better.
    You made a mistake, fine, I do all the time. But at least admit it. My post here was light hearted for a reason, your 'out' would have been to joke about it.

Take it as a personal attack if you like, 'tis your prerogative but it needed to be pointed out that CCNP or no the post was completely and utterly wrong.

• Advertisement

_CreeD_ wrote:
    Look, nothing personal, but if you go to the pains of stating your network certifications in your sig. be prepared to have a post that absolutely flies in the face of the most basic structure of a router criticised. Yes they need interfaces with IP addresses in order to be able to actually route traffic, and yes they can be assigned with DHCP ....this is CCNA/Intro level (hell home internet user level) stuff.

Per the users post - the answer fits the question. The user here asked about one thing, so my answer was focused to that. I didn't feel the need to confuse someone who is already having issues but explaining it can be done, but that they don't need to worry about it.

Long story short - the user was doing the wrong thing here and was looking at the issue in the wrong manner.

Your comments are not helpful to the person who posted this, and further confuse anyone who is new to this as well as throw the topic off.

Because of my certs and position, I don't feel it nessessary to post everything I know about routers, bridges, switches, and the related hardware in every forum just to prove I am smart. I focus more on helping the person who asks a question instead.

That being said the original poster now has the correct answer, no thanks to yourself, so I am done with this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Cpt, you made an incorrect statement by saying that a router cannot have an IP. Similarly an incorrect statement when you say that switchs cannot have IPs, although not as obvious an error.

rmacm was absolutely correct in his statement. Misinformation is not tolerated, see the charter.

It was not a personal attack, it was simply the correction of an erroneous statement. I would have thought a professional such as yourself would be used to constructive criticism.

Verb

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

Verb wrote:
    Cpt, you made an incorrect statement by saying that a router cannot have an IP. Similarly an incorrect statement when you say that switchs cannot have IPs, although not as obvious an error.

rmacm was absolutely correct in his statement. Misinformation is not tolerated, see the charter.

It was not a personal attack, it was simply the correction of an erroneous statement. I would have thought a professional such as yourself would be used to constructive criticism.

Verb

Agreed if I posted anything you considered as a personal attack I apologise but the fact remains (wheather the OP needed to know it or not) that (Layer 3) switches and routers do indeed have IP addresses and these addresses can be assigned by DHCP usually in the situation where someone has broadband....haven't come across it in a business where most of the equipment I've seen is assigned a static address if it's part of the core network of an organisation.

Cheers
    Rory

There isn't any need for apologies after this post ...
    CptSternn wrote:

A bit of looking finds

" The DHCP client can be configured on Ethernet interfaces and on PPPoA and ..."

straight from HERE

Then we have ...
    CptSternn wrote:
    Excuse me? I have my MSCE and CCNP.

"CCNP certification validates a network professional's ability to install, configure and troubleshoot converged local and wide area networks with 100 to 500 or more nodes. Network Professionals who achieve the CCNP certification have demonstrated the knowledge and skills required to manage the routers and switches that form the network core, as well as edge applications that integrate voice, wireless, and security into the network."

straight from

HERE

Advertisement