Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Splish-splash - Deliberate spray from a car's windscreen-wash

Options
  • 17-09-2007 8:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭

So I was on the last km of my cycle home this evening when I noticed a small hatchback that had just passed me slowing down to get level with me. The driver then sprayed me from the windscreen-washer and drove off, with the back-seat passenger laughing his head off. I was fairly pi$$ed.

I could see the car turning off ahead of me, and I was about 60 seconds behind the car, so I had pretty much given up on catching him. But I went round the longer way to where I knew the car would come back onto the main road. I was pretty sure he'd be well gone, but as I got to the junction, there he was, waiting to pull back out onto the main road.

So here's the Mastercard 'priceless' moment - I cycled up in front of him, threw my bike onto the ground in fury, and went round to the driver's window. He was in his early 20's and get got very tense and stiff as he realised that the cyclist he had showered was very much in his face. I really wouldn't be aggressive by nature, but I was pretty furious, and I guess it showed. He wouldn't get out of the car, but he did wind down the window and half-apologised with a 'we were just messin, it was just a bit of a laugh'. I told him he could have a laugh with the Guards when I reported him, and he looked fairly sheepish.

So where do I go from here? I'm not calling for capital punishment, but I do think he should at least get a visit from the Gardai. I was planning on calling the local community Gardai (I remember a newspaper article from some time back talking about his cycling experience) to see if he would follow up. Other suggestions are welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

RainyDay wrote:
    I'm not calling for capital punishment...

Maybe rethink this?

Pity you were on your own. I'd have loved to have been there to see his face (and roll around laughing) :D .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭Ghost Rider

Good story. It sounds like you taught the guy a lesson. Maybe wisest to leave it at that?

Interesting how cycling can bring out the anger, though, isn't it? I sometimes surprise myself by how vitriolic I get on the bike. I'd put drivers to shame sometimes with the cussin'.
    RainyDay wrote:
    So I was on the last km of my cycle home this evening when I noticed a small hatchback that had just passed me slowing down to get level with me. The driver then sprayed me from the windscreen-washer and drove off, with the back-seat passenger laughing his head off. I was fairly pi$$ed.

I could see the car turning off ahead of me, and I was about 60 seconds behind the car, so I had pretty much given up on catching him. But I went round the longer way to where I knew the car would come back onto the main road. I was pretty sure he'd be well gone, but as I got to the junction, there he was, waiting to pull back out onto the main road.

So here's the Mastercard 'priceless' moment - I cycled up in front of him, threw my bike onto the ground in fury, and went round to the driver's window. He was in his early 20's and get got very tense and stiff as he realised that the cyclist he had showered was very much in his face. I really wouldn't be aggressive by nature, but I was pretty furious, and I guess it showed. He wouldn't get out of the car, but he did wind down the window and half-apologised with a 'we were just messin, it was just a bit of a laugh'. I told him he could have a laugh with the Guards when I reported him, and he looked fairly sheepish.

So where do I go from here? I'm not calling for capital punishment, but I do think he should at least get a visit from the Gardai. I was planning on calling the local community Gardai (I remember a newspaper article from some time back talking about his cycling experience) to see if he would follow up. Other suggestions are welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,154 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

I had the same thing done to me, passenger was spraying a bottle of water as he went past. Just ignored it, was on a back road and wouldn't have been able to catch them. I usually get "the rage" when someone pulls this crap. Half an hour later in town, they went passed me and did it again. So I followed them at a distance and saw them stopped at a light, yer man saw me coming and obviously thought I was going to cycle on, so he rolled down the window to do it again, but I was quicker on the draw giving him a full blast of my water bottle in the passenger window. I have to admit I made a mistake and rather than my water bottle gave him about 200ml of blackcurrant energy drink in the face and all over his white shirt instead as well as the tan interior of his utterly pathetic Seat Boy racer tin can. He must have been stuck to the seat the little toe rag. Wasn't so smart after that, saw him pulled in with the doors open of his crappy little boy racer mobile, looking at the mess. Good enough for him. Fair play OP.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,582 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

RainyDay wrote:

i wouldn't take it any further myself, this has been on a couple of TV shows and have seen a few idiots do it. It's no big deal imo..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Once every now and again I get the rage, but I generally have to admit, it's usually the opposite, cycling often causes me to just not really care. Usually when a driver does something thick I stop and chat to them calmly at the next junction while they're waiting for the lights. Ironically, this seems to completely infuriate them, since the guy they tried to kill seems so bloody calm!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭PeadarofAodh

I find I do become host to the dragon rage while cycling - probably because mistakes by drivers on the road result in their cars getting slightly scratched, while my head will probably look like a badly abused watermelon...

I remember once cycling through Ranelagh when a green jaguar swerved suddenly around a car turning right, driving right over the middle of the cycle lane where I was. Luckily I was awake and scraped along the kerb, avoiding getting a pretty severe bashing. Without looking I shouted pretty loudly at whoever was driving to "Keep off the f***ing cycle lane". For the next half hour as they followed my route and we met at countless traffic lights, the lady's two little kids in the back seat (Must have been about 5 and 7!) craned their necks to look out the window at the crazy man on his bike...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭cunnins4

Quigs Snr wrote:
    I had the same thing done to me, passenger was spraying a bottle of water as he went past. Just ignored it, was on a back road and wouldn't have been able to catch them. I usually get "the rage" when someone pulls this crap. Half an hour later in town, they went passed me and did it again. So I followed them at a distance and saw them stopped at a light, yer man saw me coming and obviously thought I was going to cycle on, so he rolled down the window to do it again, but I was quicker on the draw giving him a full blast of my water bottle in the passenger window. I have to admit I made a mistake and rather than my water bottle gave him about 200ml of blackcurrant energy drink in the face and all over his white shirt instead as well as the tan interior of his utterly pathetic Seat Boy racer tin can. He must have been stuck to the seat the little toe rag. Wasn't so smart after that, saw him pulled in with the doors open of his crappy little boy racer mobile, looking at the mess. Good enough for him. Fair play OP.

Hahaha! gold!

I get terrible "rage" but it vanishes as quickly as it comes. Sometimes I even laugh at these things because they're really not that harmful (unless ya fall off as a result, but we're supposed to expect the unexpected eh?;) ). Had a bird pinch my asse one time. The rage came over me but then i got a wink as they drove away and I just had to laugh. It's not the worst thing they could do to ya-at least they saw ya, most motorists don't!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

I get that windscreen washer thing all the time. I've also had people try to get me with bottles of 7-up but miss by a long distance. Muppets.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I thought I was the only one! surprised there are not more stories of "cycle-rage"
    Once every now and again I get the rage, but I generally have to admit, it's usually the opposite, cycling often causes me to just not really care.
    Same here, lots of time I breeze on by, but sometimes I am shot full of adrenalin and ready to kill someone. Plenty of times I have screamed in windows, arriving to work almost hoarse! Other times I have just stopped infront of the cars at lights, or roundabouts, infront of coaches too. Just stand there drinking water with them beeping and going mental.
    The driver then sprayed me from the windscreen-washer and drove off
    Invest in some pepper spray, even a tiny amount in the window will make the car unbearable to be in for a good 10-20mins. I nearly always have some and am dying to get to use it. Was thinking of hanging around in town to check out people trying to nick bikes, good spray and run, just to keep me fit!

I also thought it would be class to pick up the bike and jump up and walk over the boot, roof & bonnet of cars parked on cycletracks.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭rp

In New York they sell these pointed, tungsten steel bar-ends, very handy when these muppets get too close to you: saves damaging your handlebars. Unfortunately, it'll make a fierce deep scratch in the car.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭DITTKD

Does it get any easier to deal with the rage? I've been doing the commuting thing for a good few months now.
    I always thought I was a calm collected sort, but I'm not, not. at. all.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

I've had the windscreen spray a few times but never sure if it was deliberate, so always ignored it.

GF has had eggs and icecream thrown at her, her brother has been clapped on the back, etc. I haven't experienced those, just yelled at out the passenger window and the "joke swerve".

Good one Quigs, quite classic with the energy drink! Sticky things those...

Nasty sharp bar-ends sound like a good idea but you'd want to be careful you don't take out somebody's paintwork when you are the one trying to scrape through a tight spot... Although my god I wished I had these one time a taxi decided to turn into me, just left a trail of black rubber down his side. Also if you have STI levers you tend to want to avoid bashing your bars off people, they are expensive components.

I think you _can_ minimise your cyclist rage incidents by being more careful, being willing to yield to a driver doing something stupid even when you have right of way, etc. But obviously this is out the window if someone throws an egg at you, there is no dealing with that.

Does it get any easier to deal with the rage?
    Turn it into energy for cycling, I piss along with adrenalin after some bastards pulls something.

blorg wrote:
    But obviously this is out the window if someone throws an egg at you, there is no dealing with that.
    Carry a small rock and take out the back window. If they stop at lights kick the wing mirror off or just key the car. Then have your pepper spray at the ready if they stop, it is not like they are going to report you. If they did something really bad and I caught up with them I would fire the handlebars throught their side windows.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,371 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

when i used to commuteon a bike (in the uk) one guy used to always leave his car parked at rush hour on my route. he stopped doing it after i smacked off his wing mirror a couple of times. ( mind you i stopped doing after seeing a volvo being dragged along the road by a truck by the wig mirror only broke off when it hit another car !) luckily i dont have to the rush hour commute anymore mind you it used to keep the weight off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭HJ Simpson

Yeah I keep telling myself to be calm when someone does something stupid. The red mist does decend every now and then. I do enjoy it when someone tries to pull across me and I just keep going while giving them dogs abuse. Or the one who try something and stop and you have to give them the deranged look or at least I think I am looking deranged.
    I have to remember to give people the benefit of the doubt when they realise they have done something stupid like this morning a taxi tried to do a left across me and then waved sorry he hadnt seen me. I just roared about indicating and continued when an acknowledgment might have served cyclist better in future exchanges.
    HJS

HJ Simpson wrote:
    a taxi tried to do a left across me and then waved sorry he hadnt seen me. I just roared about indicating
    When a taximan gets his taxi licence his indicators are removed, I thought this was common knowledge. The only indicators they will use are their hazard lights which give them the right to park wherever they choose and perform whatever dangerous manoeuvre they want, even if was illegal for mere mortals to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

I read somewhere that the worst culprits for bad driving were female BMW driver and male Lexus drivers (I think all BMW drivers are bad drivers!).

What annoys me the most is drivers pulling out in front of you because you're on a bike and couldn't possibly be do any level of decent speed :mad: .

On the flip side I think female drivers give you a wider birth when passing.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭rp

Hungrycol wrote:
    What annoys me the most is drivers pulling out in front of you because you're on a bike and couldn't possibly be do any level of decent speed :mad: .
    The most frequent one I see (commuting in from the country) is the mad dash to pass the bike out, often on a blind corner, straight into the back of a tailback, so you have to pass them again. They risk their own lives as well as those coming the other way for exactly zero time gained. Fortunately, the bike is usually in the safest position in this scenario.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭E@gle.

rubadub wrote:
    When a taximan gets his taxi licence his indicators are removed, I thought this was common knowledge. The only indicators they will use are their hazard lights which give them the right to park wherever they choose and perform whatever dangerous manoeuvre they want, even if was illegal for mere mortals to do it.

whats with taxi drivers and indicators and esepically taxi drivers on round a bouts as well

• Registered Users Posts: 6,829 ✭✭✭Alkers

Had the odd incident or two, the only worth mentioning being got a half full beer can and a couple of eggs thrown at me while I was walking with my bike coming out of UCD Foster Ave entrance. I jumped onto the bike, cycled as fast as I could back into UCD after the car. I wasn't even thinking what I was going to do, pure headrush. The guy obviously saw me coming after him because he floored it, broke the lights there beside the Quinn school going right but then had to jam on to avoid a bus pulling out. I caught up to him, went on the outside, knocked off his drivers wing mirror, around the front of the bus and of into the back of the Engineering building where cars can't go. Didn't even realise my hand was sore from hitting the mirror 'till a good ten minutes later, adrenaline was pumping.
    Haven't ever reacted in anyway similarly again though but nothing as annoying has happened since.

• Advertisement

Simona1986 wrote:
    I caught up to him, went on the outside, knocked off his drivers wing mirror, around the front of the bus and of into the back of the Engineering building where cars can't go. Didn't even realise my hand was sore from hitting the mirror 'till a good ten minutes later, adrenaline was pumping.
    Haven't ever reacted in anyway similarly again though but nothing as annoying has happened since.
    CLASS! fair play to you, did you see their faces when you broke the mirror?

Didnt know so many "drive-bys" happened, have to get me a little rock holder for the rothar, can't wait...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Classic!

I'm thinking Jack Nicholson and a golf club....

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

RainyDay wrote:
    The driver then sprayed me from the windscreen-washer and drove off, with the back-seat passenger laughing his head off. I was fairly pi$$ed.

He wouldn't get out of the car, but he did wind down the window and half-apologised with a 'we were just messin, it was just a bit of a laugh'.
    Report him. If that had gotten into your eyes, I'd like to see how you could have braked suddenly, and not crashed.

=-=

Me, if it had hit my face, I'd have dragged him out of the car, and called the cops.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,829 ✭✭✭Alkers

rubadub wrote:
    CLASS! fair play to you, did you see their faces when you broke the mirror?

Didnt know so many "drive-bys" happened, have to get me a little rock holder for the rothar, can't wait...
    Unfortunately no, I just flew straight on. Hopefully it was a sight fro sore eyes though because I still had to cycle home covered in egg and beer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭jaycummins

i remember i was at the junction between merrion road and ailesbury road heading into town. a car was waiting to turn right and since it looked like he was the last of the traffic coming accross me i cycled slowly trhu the lights. just as i went through them a car came from behind the one turning right and drove straight towards me. he was so stupid, instead of just slowing down and letting me past, he speeded towards me and skidded just at thew last second beeping his horn repeatedly he made such a big deal out of it, as i had nearly killed him. i just started laughing at him and since i left the lights at such a high gear just slowly inched out of his way. that really pissed him off. i hate drivers like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

lads I know tell a tale of carrying 2 water bottles on the commute, one filled with cement.

anyway, someone had received this advice and subsequently lobbed the bottle through the back window of an offender.

4 plains clothes hopped out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

excellent thread... and no one giving out about 'oh you shouldnt damage cars thats not on...' brilliant. when its deserved, its deserved.

had an aul windscreen spray incident in templeogue last week, a white glanza with side skirts and about 15 fellas in the back seat slowed down beside me and i got sprayed with soapy water. the owner had obviously modified his car so that both sprayheads pointed left. he sped off, caught him at lights and (lets not revoke "spat at by merc driver" thread, i dont usually do it) a nice mouthful of phlem on the windscreen doesnt come off too easy when the sprayheads dont point in the right direction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭Snapper1

allow me to flip this thread on its head!...

had the same windscreen spray attack at the end of a 80k ride a few months back but it was a scorcher of a day and with little or no liquids left in my bottles I was glad to be cooled down for a few seconds.

Mind you if I caught the pr1ck I would have targeted his wingmirror like the rest of you. But given that it happened on a clear stretch of national road that wasn't really an option!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

noblestee wrote:
    the owner had obviously modified his car so that both sprayheads pointed left.
    Yeah - I just realised thinking about this last night that my friends yesterday had at least one sprayhead pointing left, so this was definitely a planned pre-meditated attack. I'll definitely be making a call to the Gardai tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭E@gle.

i just got back from a ride there with the club and yes i was nearly killed.

i was cycling along a narrow country road and there was a silver SUV( yes it was a women) behind me i was at the back of the pack on my own. she went to overtake me and had to immediately brake to avoid hitting the others then she decided to pass us out and nearly kill one of the lads with her wing mirror i swear
    she missed by a cm then when she finally passed us she was behind us for about
    3 miles, she turned into her drive into her drive way of her house

all that for getting an extra 3 seconds home quicker

Advertisement