Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

tenerife

Options
  • 17-09-2007 9:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭

Thinking of heading to tenerife in November. Anyone ever surf there? Whats it like for board rental, accomodation etc?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭will3k

I was over there windsurfing around March of this year. Was great for that. I stayed in a place called correjaco (spelling!). Kind of the top right of the island, not the best place for surfing but there were some surf shops offering lessons, gear rental etc. I think the left of the island get hit with more smell. Try http://www.beachwizard.com/ for info on breaks etc. I didnt surf as the windsurfing was just too good. If I was going there again I'd probably rent a car and explore etc. Accommadion can be got anywhere easily. Book an apartment or something over the web.

It is said localism is a problem there, so use caution and manners.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭will3k

Just remembered that it was Fuerteventura I was on this year. Probably still some useful advice there.

I was on Tenerife few years ago after the leaving. Got drunk for 2 weeks. Nice pot noodles from what I can remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭cue

Thanks. Was thinking of fuertoventura too. Will give the pot noodles a miss though.

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Killgore Trout

I've stayed in Fuerteaventura about 5 years ago. Stayed in Corallejo. Got good deals package trip. Place is pretty laid back and scumbag free. Less developed than other islands.

Used this crowd, here's their prices:
    http://www.homegrown.es/prices_e.html

I went for the lessons - which I found was worthwhile as someone with a wee bit of experience. The total beginners found it tough getting past the surf and the boards were 7 foot yokes you can see in some of the photos (can't remember what they were) not those foamy ones you see in lessons here. I didn't have a car licence at the time - so board and car rental was out of the question. The instructor knew his stuff and had good local knowledge. took us on a bit of off road in the jeep on the way home one day.

El Cotillo beach on the NW of the island is pretty popular with surfers but not crowded with sunbathers. on the odd day the dunas on the NE (couple of mile beach dunes and nature reserve - beware naked german wrinklies) is surfable - mostly wind and kitsurfers that side.

Driving is pretty sane and if you are competent and confident you'll have no problem. Watch you don't banjax your car going the unpaved 100M to the beach.

I hear Tenerefe is a total kip.

Thanks for the replies. Anyone know if I would need a wetsuit or not in November?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Killgore Trout

I'd definitely bring a wetsuit. Summer suit would do the job.

Booked a week with Homegrown Surf in Fuertoventura in November. Had to be done :D Pretty good value. Can't wait to get the hell out of here and just surf my ass off.

Advertisement