Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Team Fortress 2 beta release time

Options
  • 17-09-2007 10:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

Dose anyone know at what time today the Team Fortress 2 beta will be playable? Thought it was at six for some reason.
    Can’t find any specific time listed on the steam site and the forum keeps crashing on me:confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Damn you!
    I eagerly opened steam again as soon as I saw the title of this thread:p

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Mickey_37

oh very sorry, should have put a "?" at the end of that title i guess.
    anyway after a bit of digging about i found a post over on the eurogamer fourm suggesting that it may not be released untill 2am!
    way past my bed time!

"Chaps, Valve has advised us the review embargo is now 6pm PST, which I think is 2AM GMT.

Bit of a mix-up, basically. Sorry about that."

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Still not up.

Apparently they have problems with the Linux dedicated servers.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

it's up for me, you may have to restart steam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭TheHairyFairy

Yeah there now. Not sure if irish servers are running, will have one up soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

I had it fully pre-downloaded... when I logged in this morning it was back to 65%

Had a go at launching it and it popped up to 99%.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

I wish I could justify wasting loads of money to get it....... But I just can't. Have to wait for the real release like a chump.

I gave it a quick go this morning.

Very laggy in parts... but when it was running smoothly it handled really well and feels really good to play. Lovely overall presentation as well.

Team Fortress Classic was the only online FPS I ever really got into and I haven't played in a long, long time... but I'm enjoying this.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

I'm not sure I follow. You're not spending any extra, there's no money wastage going on, you'd just be buying on Steam instead of retail, and you get to play it earlier.
    Or do you mean you don't have money now, but you will when it's out (October 10th)?

It's actually cheaper now than it will be at launch.

• Advertisement

Indeed, 10% right? Some retailers might sell it cheap enough but it won't be much different from the Steam price, and this way you get to play the beta.

Oh, I thought youd had to buy the Orange box to play the Beta? As in the collection that includes HL2 and Ep1 and Ep2 and everything? I already have HL2 and Ep1 and I'm not buyin them

Oh I just saw Steam and it's 45dollars for the orange box..... I thought it was like $110. Where the hell did I see that......

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭jonski

koneko wrote:
    I'm not sure I follow. You're not spending any extra, there's no money wastage going on, you'd just be buying on Steam instead of retail, and you get to play it earlier.
    Or do you mean you don't have money now, but you will when it's out (October 10th)?

Just guessing here , but I take it this is only available as part of the orange box , so if he already has HL:2 and episode 1 and maybe has no interest in Portal and episode 2 the it can just have TF2 for $30 on day of release instead of $45 now .

It might be about that if you try to buy them all separately.

I didn't have Episode 1 yet... so it's not such a bad deal for me... Plus anything you already have you can give as a gift.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

DemonOfTheFall - give Fortress Forever a try. Its another Team Fortress mod for HL2 that came out last week. www.fortress-forever.com.

Its actually excellent, I've been having loads of fun with it. Got a few bugs (it is a free mod whose release was rushed forward a few weeks to beat TF2 to market - Valve announced availability of TF2 for the same day as FF's release was scheduled). I haven't encountered any showstopping ones yet.

Just plumped for the orange box there. Why must the internet molest my credit card so...

DemonOfTheFall,
    They had a thing on the site that lists how much it would cost to buy everything seperate, that was probably what you saw. It works out really good value considering everything that's in the pack (HL2, Ep 1, Ep2, Portal and TF2), and as monkeyfudge said you can gift anything you already have (HL2, ep1) to someone else.
    Just plumped for the orange box there. Why must the internet molest my credit card so...

Tell me about it :( It's a good time for games, but a bad time for our wallets.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭whitetrash

I've created a boards.ie steam community group if anyone wants to join, easier than trading individual steam names?

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/boards_ie

Stuck at "Downloading 65%"
    now I remember why steam annoys me so...

• Advertisement

tman wrote:
    Stuck at "Downloading 65%"
    now I remember why steam annoys me so...
    Read my post from earlier.

I had that problem too... just right click and launch it and it decrypts and goes up to 99%.

Yeah, I managed to suss that out myself eventually after fruitlessly opening a few ports and stuff first.
    Should've just read this thread:o

/edit
    anyone know if the acievements from TF2 will be available in all products in the Orange box? (as in, will HL2 and episode 1 be getting an update as well?)
    Was a nice surprise to see them in TF2, they always seem to provide an extra incentive to keep playing a 360 game

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

So tman - is it any good? I'm sitting here at 94% after decryption...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Yeah I really wanna hear people's opinions of it, I only have hl2 so the orange box would be defo worth it if this was good

Maybe close and reopen steam? she can be an akward beast at times....

Seems to be great so far, but too damn buggy to enjoy fully at this stage.
    First game on an almost empty server was fine, until everybody quit. second game had "connection problems" after a few minutes, and the game seems to crash completely if you alt+tab out of it.
    Third game was going well until it crashed to the desktop... which seemed to be an issue with display drivers, so I'm going to try out some beta ones now. (the most recent stable 64 bit nvidia drivers are from July!)

All in all it seems good, I'm definitely looking forward to getting into it if i'm lucky enough to have a few stable games... (which is higher praise than it might seem, as I generally find online games very hard to get into)

Eurogamer review is up now
    9/10

Played about 2hrs now and had a perfect expecience o_0

Absolutley love it, was very dissapointed at first but changed server and people actually knew how to play and now I adore it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Ciaran500 wrote:
    Played about 2hrs now and had a perfect expecience o_0

Absolutley love it, was very dissapointed at first but changed server and people actually knew how to play and now I adore it :D

very encouraging... I bought it there, halfway through downloading :) hopefully it'll be done by the match is over! Got drink as well so it shud be great

Yeah, had another quick game and I'm really beginning for fall for this game. Easily the most fun I've had playing a game online since UT2004:)
    Keep getting owned by turrets though:o

Turrets are super tough... I'm sure I hit one with four rockets dead on and it was still standing.

• Advertisement

Loving the medic, very powerfull class and when you pair with a HWGuy you can single handily hold a point if you play right.

Advertisement