Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Team Fortress 2 beta release time

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭whitetrash

Had a few hours of perfect play then it crashed when I tried the take-a-screenshot-of-who-killed-you. Loving it so far anyway, especially the heavy, demoman and spy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Pyro is great craic altogether, I managed to get the achievement for setting 5 people on fire in 30 secs:p
    I'm definitely in agreement with EG's review after a couple of hours play. I felt a little bitter about the cost of the orange box, when all I wanted to do was preorder episode 2 and Portal, but this game alone is well worth the asking price imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Woah this is so class. It's inspiring too, love it! What servers u guys playin on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭TheHairyFairy

Loving it too, just makes me laugh out loud and say wtf. All good tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

Amazing game! Well worth the cost of Orange Box. Been playin it for about 4 hours today. I get by far the most points with Soldier and Engie, Medic and Demo can be decent too. Can't really "get" any of the other classes....
    Pyro- Cripplingly short range
    HWG- Sloooow
    Spy- Im too dumb to be stealthy
    Sniper- Snipin skills not up to scratch, too used to 2142
    Scout- Too weak

• Advertisement

You really need a medic backing you up to get the most out of HWG, he deals and takes massive ammounts of damage... definitely my fave character so far.
    Pyro does massive damage up close, the closer you are, the more damage. and still has decent shotty for longer range attacks. (the spread of his shotty seems a little smaller than the other classes, but i might've imagined that...)

Haven't tried the engie yet, and haven't given medic, demo or spy a decent chance...
    Scout's double jump and speed are pretty handy, but he's definitely too weak for my liking...

awesome game, anybody who's still debating whether to pre-order the orange box should stop being such a pussy and just buy the damn thing!

Jesus I've been playing it all night! (no college till next week :P) I've been playing as the spy the whole time and it's so satisfying. Ye have to be patient and concentrate for every second you're playing tho. If you're not concentrating for a couple of seconds yer dead or given up so ye have to start again. Absolutely brilliant tho.

EDIT: I think any decent team leads with the HWG backed up by medic and then everyone else works around that, it's the fundamental partnership of the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭whitetrash

Amazing game! Well worth the cost of Orange Box. Been playin it for about 4 hours today. I get by far the most points with Soldier and Engie, Medic and Demo can be decent too. Can't really "get" any of the other classes....
    Pyro- Cripplingly short range
    HWG- Sloooow
    Spy- Im too dumb to be stealthy
    Sniper- Snipin skills not up to scratch, too used to 2142
    Scout- Too weak

I've found all the classes to be well balanced and have their pro's and cons. I tend to play as the demoman or hwg to begin with and then switch to others depending on how the match is going.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭Cina

Fantastic game. Graphics are amazing when notched up fully (MPAA and AF)
    Really is a great testiment to the original TF while changing it around just enough to make it more modern.
    Favourite classes so far have to be soldier and sniper, demo man and medic are good aswell. Scout is REALLY poor, needs to be made a bit better.
    Pyro class is my only dislike, it's a pure 'noob' class, newcomers can just select it and run around spraying people hoping they'll set on fire and die.

Still, brilliant so far!

Cina wrote:
    Pyro class is my only dislike, it's a pure 'noob' class, newcomers can just select it and run around spraying people hoping they'll set on fire and die.

I'm not having a go at you but I just hate this attitude. It was the same in Kingpin: Life Of Crime - there was a flamer and anyone who uses it was deemed a noob coz it's no skill but it's only close range. The pyro's weapons are close range weapons and if you are out of that range then he has nothing. I haven't played as pyro yet but I like it, and I never think anyone is a noob for picking it because like all of the classes it has its pros and cons.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

Its so much fun it should be banned! :D

What a game! looks great and is so well executed :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭Cina

I'm not having a go at you but I just hate this attitude. It was the same in Kingpin: Life Of Crime - there was a flamer and anyone who uses it was deemed a noob coz it's no skill but it's only close range. The pyro's weapons are close range weapons and if you are out of that range then he has nothing. I haven't played as pyro yet but I like it, and I never think anyone is a noob for picking it because like all of the classes it has its pros and cons.

heh, that's fair enough, I just dislike classes like that myself, but I can see your point.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

As I see plenty of 360 owners here, has anyone played both this and the CoD4 MP beta?
    I already have HL2 and EP1 on the PC so the whole orange box doesn't really interest me unless I'm going to end up playing TF2 an awful lot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

On playing it a bit further I like pretty much all the classes equally now. Got the gist of all of them.

If you're debating it, BUY IT!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭TheHairyFairy

mcgovern wrote:
    As I see plenty of 360 owners here, has anyone played both this and the CoD4 MP beta?
    I already have HL2 and EP1 on the PC so the whole orange box doesn't really interest me unless I'm going to end up playing TF2 an awful lot.

You can gift your old HL2 etc to another steam user.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Have played both, and they're both a lot of fun, I would say TF2 probably has more lasting appeal though.

Episode 2 and TF2 bought seperately costs more than Orange Box, plus you can gift your extra games to a friend, as HairyFairy said.

My god, this game just keeps getting better and better!
    I'd definitely recommend playing some of the maps on a less busy server at first (10-12 players tops), 2fort went from being one of my least favourite maps to being my fave now that I know the ins and outs...
    I keep thinking that I've found my favourite class, then I try another one out and after a few minutes everything just falls into place and playing as them feels right.
    This is easily the most enjoyable multiplayer fps I've played since Insta UT2004, and HL1 before that.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

just played it for a few mins its fun but i hadnt a clue whats going on and kept geting murdered ;p the doctor/heavy combo is a bit to uber

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

Brilliant game, have been playing it for the last 3 days, still not gettin any better at it though:(

Any of you's got a regular server? Does anyone know if there are any irish servers?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Grim.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

How do I get this? I just reinstalled HL2 but I see no option to get my hands on the beta, did I need to pre-order it or something?

EDIT: Hmm, the orange box you say. I'm so confused. I already own HL2, can someone give me the idiots version of what to do?

u might as well buy the orange box tbh if your going to get hl2 episode 2 and tf2 seperatly it'll cost over 60 dollers

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

If I buy the orange box right now this will allow me to download TF2 Beta?

Zillah wrote:
    If I buy the orange box right now this will allow me to download TF2 Beta?

Yup and you won't regret it either!

Yup and you won't regret it either!

QFT!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

I've a server up aswell at 89.234.64.69:27015. I get 10-15ms latency to it on my home ntl connection. All welcome, as well as any suggestions on server config modifications if you have them :)

Moriarty wrote:
    I've a server up aswell at 89.234.64.69:27015. I get 10-15ms latency to it on my home ntl connection. All welcome, as well as any suggestions on server config modifications if you have them :)

I'm gonna try that out now, hopefully there's some peepz.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭Clover

Moriarty wrote:

i'll be up for a few games today , if anyones about.

• Advertisement

Clover wrote:
    i'll be up for a few games today , if anyones about.
    Aye, too hungover to attempt to play it right now, but I'll give it a lash tonight:)

Advertisement