Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

recommend custom setting for virtual memory Win XP

• 17-09-2007 10:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭

I have a laptop with the following custom setting

Initila size 372
    Max. Size 744

can you recomend an improved setting for me.

Thanks for your help
    regards
    Silverski

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭r0nn13

it is all a muchness...

The best setup is usually to move the pagefile.sys (virtual memory) onto a separate partition, and also the max and min sizes the same, about 3x your physical memory size...

Different users will have different set-ups though...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

How much RAM does it have?

Have you got more than one disk? If so, what types?
    The best setup is usually to move the pagefile.sys (virtual memory) onto a separate partition, and also the max and min sizes the same, about 3x your physical memory size...
    Moving the pagefile to a different partition won't make an improvement. You need to move it to a different disk to see any performance increase. In fact, moving the pagefile to a different partition can reduce performance because the disk requires more seek time to read/write a relatively unused partition. If you have only one disk with multiple partitions, then best practice is to leave the pagefile on the busiest parition (usually the root one).

Recommended size of a pagefile is 1-1.5 times the size of the physical memory. Set the max at twice the physical memory. If you find yourself needing more than this, then you need more RAM.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

IMO the best setting is the default setting no need to change anything those are hangovers from old versions of Windows that no longer apply.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭silverski

8T8 wrote:
    IMO the best setting is the default setting no need to change anything those are hangovers from old versions of Windows that no longer apply.

Greetings 8T8,

thanks, so I should change from custom setting to "system managed size".

The reason for the orginal question was that I was receiving numerous errors reporting not enough virtual memory.
    I have 1GB of Ram
    I am upgrading the laptop RAM to 2GB asap.

Regards
    Silverski

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

silverski wrote:
    thanks, so I should change from custom setting to "system managed size".
    Yeah, if you have plenty of disk space, then there's no real benefit to be gained from setting the size manually.

• Advertisement
Advertisement