Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Brother might lose Driving Licence

Options
  • 17-09-2007 11:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭

Guys,

my brother has 10 points and he's after being pulled by a guard again. He's done 100k miles over the last 3 years with his job and gathered 10 points in that time. The first two drop off January 08.

He's not a crazy driver - getting caught doing 125km on 100km/h dual c's and 82/3 on a 60km/h road. I know it's no excuse but you should understand he's not a boy racer.

The notice of the last stop arrived today in the post and my question is:

Can I put down my own details on the form and take the points for him(I have none)? Would the guard have taken his licence details while he had the licence during the stop? There is a space on the fixed fine notice to enter a licence name and number if we wish.

Thanks,

Tom

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

If you/he are found out you will be in big trouble (and bear in mind that plenty of gardai read boards!). It is illegal to falsify these details. As for the garda having his licence number, we weren't there and can only speculate - my guess is that if the garda looked at his licence then he took the number.

Secondly, if he is dumb enough to drive in a manner to gather poiints when he is already on 10 points, then maybe he needs to be taught a lesson. For Christs sake, he needs his car for work and he still attracts points whilst on the edge of being banned?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

There's no use taking the points for him in his stead as he'll only accumulate more anyway. Perhaps he should start sticking to the speed limits now.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Is this thread for real?

I cannot believe anyone who drives for a living can be daft enough to accumulate 10 or more penalty points without actually seeing sense and the need to be a bit more careful.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

kbannon wrote:
    It is illegal to falsify these details.
    kbannon wrote:
    Secondly, if he is dumb enough to drive in a manner to gather poiints when he is already on 10 points, then maybe he needs to be taught a lesson.
    Perhaps he should start sticking to the speed limits now.
    bazz26 wrote:
    Is this thread for real?

All of the above. That sort of sums it up, tbh;)

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Fr Dougal

crosstownk wrote:
    All of the above. That sort of sums it up, tbh;)
    What all of the above said. He should stick to the speed limits.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

Thomas wrote:
    Guys,

my brother has 10 points and he's after being pulled by a guard again. He's done 100k miles over the last 3 years with his job and gathered 10 points in that time. The first two drop off January 08.

He's not a crazy driver - getting caught doing 125km on 100km/h dual c's and 82/3 on a 60km/h road. I know it's no excuse but you should understand he's not a boy racer.

Can I put down my own details on the form and take the points for him(I have none)? Would the guard have taken his licence details while he had the licence during the stop? There is a space on the fixed fine notice to enter a licence name and number if we wish.

Thanks,

Tom

Sure Go ahead Delay the inevitable.
    What's being a boy racer got to do with it?

I would consider myself to be a fast driver - i.e. at the upper end and above but I have only accumulated 2 points in 5 years.

Why? I'm responsible.

Maybe your brother should just concentrate on not getting more points rather than overflowing onto a second license.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭anotherlostie

If I ever accumulate 10 points on my licence, I will turn into a granny driver quicker than you could say disqualification. He knew that he was getting a little more leeway come January, so really he should have been very careful til then (at the very least).

Plus what if you started to get points like they were going out of fashion, and lose your licence over the 2 you got in the scam you propose? How would you feel towards your brother then?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

Thomas wrote:
    Guys,

Thanks,

Tom
    Tis all great taking the bullet for him now but what happens in a month or two when he gets caught again? He still gets put off the road and you still have your two penalty points that you took for him. If he hadn't learnt his lesson by his tenth penalty point then he will still get more even if you take these off of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Scoobydoobydoo

Your brother is very irresponsible, he knew what he was doing. What on earth have boy racers got to do with it? He is simply breaking the law, repeatedly!

I can see you are trying to do your best by him, but honestly, you are doing him no favours, and he is certainly doing you none, if he is asking this of you, or even allowing you to do this. If he has managed to accumulate so many points, then he has obviously learned nothing and I think you would be very foolish to help in trying to basically hide the mess.

You say he's not a crazy driver - well is getting 10 points not crazy? Sorry, I have never heard of anyone who has more than 4, and that's bad enough.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Reading everyones comments and I have to agree with all of them. Another point - excuse the pun - to consider is that if something like this were to happen again would you again bail him out? The result your insurance premium may rise! Will your brother pay for this rise???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

As others have said, by taking points for him, all you're doing is delaying the inevitable. He could easily clock up four more points by Spring next year and he'll be off the road.

Also be aware of other implications here. You claim that you were driving and there a couple of possibilities:

1. The Garda who pulled your brother recalls the incident, knows you weren't driving. So he hauls you and your brother into court.
    2. Someone queries your driving of the car and discovers that you weren't insured to drive the car that day. Fine & Ban ahoy.

There is no family honour thing here obliging you to do this. Would you take a drink-driving charge as quickly? Your brother's driving is clearly reckless and stupid. My family has four men under 35. One of us has two points, the rest are clear. As said above, I don't know any with more than four points, so ten is not just "bad luck" or "one or two mistakes", it's a consist record of dangerous driving. Let him learn his lesson.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

His actions are about to bite him in the a$$ and you should just let them because at the end of the day its his own fault. When the fine goes back in the post the only way he can name another person on the form is if it was a fixed camera that caught him as the gardai will be asked "Who was it you pulled over on XX date in 99-D-XXXX".

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Your brother deserves to be put off the road. He's got 10 points. Don't take the points, it will teack him a valuable lesson and might even save him (and others) from an accident in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,012 ✭✭✭Wossack

doesnt sound like he got the point

• Closed Accounts Posts: 432 ✭✭Linford

You might get away with passing points over to your sibling/partner/friend if you have two or four points (i.e. the Gardai/penalty point issuers might not follow up on the issue), they will almost definitely follow up on someone who currently has 10 points and is about to lose his licence...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Those high horse riders are quite welcome to post in this thread

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Horses of any stature have sweet fanny adams to do with it. Like egan007 I too drive "positively" and I've yet to get any points at all. It's not luck either it's good sense. Now someone needing a car to make a living should have some cop on. Getting 2 4 or even 6 points I can see, but 10 and not copping on? Makes no sense. To the OP I can understand you wanting to help, but I wouldn't risk you and your brothers neck over this. It could turn out very nasty.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Like wibbs and others, I exceed the many of our speed limits depending on the circumstances. I too currently have no points (I have passed several speed traps - I'm just lucky!)
    Bear in mind that there wouldn't be too many people in this country with 10 points and another two due soon. It wouldn't be difficult for an astute petrolhead garda who reads this thread to put two and two together and end up earning brownie points from their superiors for making an example out of two siblings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭GTC

Don't put your name down. You will be caught out. I'll be keeping an eye out for this lad. Not for browning points. A driver that stupid deserves to lose a license. No offence to the OP himself.

And yes, we take license numbers in each case. If you falsify, the prosecuting garda will recognise the difference and throw the book at you. I would

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

It's hard to have any sympathy tbh.

• Advertisement

GTC wrote:
    Don't put your name down. You will be caught out. I'll be keeping an eye out for this lad. Not for browning points. A driver that stupid deserves to lose a license. No offence to the OP himself.

And yes, we take license numbers in each case. If you falsify, the prosecuting garda will recognise the difference and throw the book at you. I would

doh - the long arm of the law finally reaches into the interweb

noones safe!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

These sort of swaps are known to police north and south and yes the Garda would have noted his details. If this was a speed camera you may be safe enough.

But its not and your not.

10 Pionts .. in 2 years ... ffs that's just careless. Always be watching the road it avoids accidents and helps you spot cops.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Your brother seems to be a bit thick - he didn't learn his lesson getting to 10 points, so he'll hardly learn anything by you taking the rap for him this time. You keep saying he is no boy racer but he does seem to be a committed speeder. I covered 90,000miles in the last 3 years without any points. I drive to the limit and adjust for road conditions and get where I want to be on time. It's time your brother had a long hard think about how he gets from A to B.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭dak

Wossack wrote:

noones safe!

I assume GTC is short for Garda Traffic Corps

dak wrote:
    I assume GTC is short for Garda Traffic Corps

hmm hadnt thought of that, the AGS stands for 'An gardai siochana' though :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭dak

As previous replies to your post have said already he should have been more careful especially when nearing the points limit. Any suggestion of doing something illegal on your part is both wrong and immoral and I wouldn'd go there if I was you. It looks like its too late now for your brother to start watching and changing his driving habits. I hate to see anyone losing their job over points so hopefully if it goes to court he will get a judge who is lienient .

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭rowanh

dak wrote:
    Any suggestion of doing something illegal on your part is both wrong and immoral

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

testicle wrote:
    Those high horse riders are quite welcome to post in this thread

Exactly how much of a muppet does a person have to be, before telling them they're a muppet isn't considered being on a "high horse"?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

dak wrote:
    I hate to see anyone losing their job over points so hopefully if it goes to court he will get a judge who is lienient .

12 points = Automatic Disqualification so it doesn't matter about a judge. If one person got away with it becuae of their job then everyone else would have similar grounds to complain!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭GTC

Wossack wrote:

noones safe!

TBH, I don't think PULSE is interweb-friendly!!

This is all from a different PC outside work.

The guards and the web. What makes you think the DOJELR is anywhere near that sort of technological wizardry. :):rolleyes:

Advertisement