Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Brother might lose Driving Licence

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭dak

rowanh wrote:
    :rolleyes:

Why the sarcasm ? That is my opinion which you edited to now read out of context........ a crime is not committed until it is takes place . You can't be arrested for thinking of something illegal , only if you carry it out !!

:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭Tony Danza

If 2 points are coming off in January, and he gets a fine now, say pays it within the time limit (what is it 28/30 days or something?) doesn't it take a few months before you get notification of your points? So if 2 go off in January he might not get these 2 until February let's say? So maybe he will get to keep his license but he should definately see this as a wake up call (again), if he doesn't get banned.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Thomas

Guys, I appreciate all the advice, when it's your little bro though it's hard not to feel sorry for him when it's his livelihood at stake even if it's his own fault.

If he was put off the road in the next month or so and the points drop off in January, is he allowed back driving in January or is it a minimum 6 months?

I heard that while banned, all points are 'suspended' i.e. the 3 year count in stopped while you're banned?

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Ah give him a break, I hope he gets ok...I doubt he is a bad kid...he just is young and busy. Careless? Maybe but I would try take the hit for him if you ask me...I'm sure it would be fine

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

dak wrote:
    a crime is not committed until it is takes place . You can't be arrested for thinking of something illegal , only if you carry it out !!
    Can't you be arrested and jailed for things like conspiracy to commit fraud? Im not 100% sure though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭dak

axer wrote:
    Can't you be arrested and jailed for things like conspiracy to commit fraud? Im not 100% sure though.

Maybe if you write down your plan you could.....I was refering only to the thought of doing something illegal ........like driving at reckless speed. Maybe you could post the question in the Legal discussion part of boards

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

dak wrote:
    I assume GTC is short for Garda Traffic Corps
    I believe that to be the case...
    Wossack wrote:
    hmm hadnt thought of that, the AGS stands for 'An gardai siochana' though :p
    ...and that!
    GTC wrote:
    What makes you think the DOJELR is anywhere near that sort of technological wizardry. :):rolleyes:
    What makes you think that the Dept is anywhere near Justice, Equality or Law Reform? :D
    cheesedude wrote:
    Ah give him a break, I hope he gets ok...I doubt he is a bad kid...he just is young and busy. Careless? Maybe but I would try take the hit for him if you ask me...I'm sure it would be fine
    Thats crap. The guy is an idiot. You don't know how young/old or how busy/idle they are.
    He had 10 points and instead of thinking "Id better be careful as one mistake and Im off the road", he decides to keep the foot down the same as before. When the inevitable happens then he asks his brother to take the hit!

As was said before, the brother was pulled over by a garda who in all probability took the licence number. Still he asks his brother to take the hit. How would they explain that to the judge when brought up for trying to pervert the course of justice?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

This guy will probably lose his job if he loses his licence.
    So he does more milage than most drivers and is in some capacity, a professional driver.

For that reason he deserves no sympathy.
    This isn't some inexperienced learner or an elderly driver clocking points as they make innocent mistakes.
    This guy knows better and that means no excuse.

Ah well, OP tell your brother to start looking for an office based job. That's my advice :)

• Registered Users Posts: 65,388 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Wibbs wrote:
    Getting 2 4 or even 6 points I can see, but 10 and not copping on? Makes no sense.

Sums it up nicely

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

I am not going to pass judgement on the bad driving to get 12 penalty points as it is possible (but not very likely) to accumalate them all in speed traps where the safe speed far exceeds the legal speed. However the stupidity of driving above the limit at all with his head in the penalty point guillotine is unquestionable and he deserves the ban just for that.

Risking the consequences of being found out lying to the courts is even more stupid. If you do that and get caught then you really will be regretting your brother's lead foot.

The way I see it you have two legal options.

1. Leave it till near the 56 day period is up, pay the higher (€120) fixed penalty and hope they are very slow with issuing the extra points and 6 month ban. Even if this is a very recent notice you would be hoping on them taking more than 2 months to process it.

2. Don't pay the fixed notice and let it go to court, it will take the 56 days plus the time to process the summons for a court date and may well not go to court until early next year. He will most likely get 4 points and a large fine (max is €800 AFAIR) but if the date is after 4 of his current points expire he would escape a ban.

Talk to a solicitor, there may be a way to postpone a court appearance long enough to allow enough points to expire.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

Thomas wrote:
    Guys, I appreciate all the advice, when it's your little bro though it's hard not to feel sorry for him when it's his livelihood at stake even if it's his own fault.

If he was put off the road in the next month or so and the points drop off in January, is he allowed back driving in January or is it a minimum 6 months?

It is a fixed 6 month ban once 12 points are won within the period
    Thomas wrote:
    I heard that while banned, all points are 'suspended' i.e. the 3 year count in stopped while you're banned?

Does it matter? I mean it's not like he is stupid enough to drive in a manner likely to get more points just after getting his licence back with the possibility of losing it again. :rolleyes:

Just had a look at the statistics, as of June 07 there are 99 people who have gotten 12 points, maybe if he is really lucky he can be the 100th. There might even be a prize in it, 10% off a bus pass perhaps?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

Imagine you took the hit for him, allowing him to stay on the road. He's not likely to change his driving habits, seeing as 10 points hasn't changed his habits. Now imagine he's speeding, and he hits another car or a bollard, killing himself or anyone else. How could you live with yourself, knowing that you broke the law to keep him on the road? If he's caught speeding with 10 points, I believe that the above scenario is a reasonable possibility. Nobody is victimising him, although I understand why you have sympathy. He needs to be taken off the road for his own good, and the safety of others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭want2play

GTC wrote:
    I'll be keeping an eye out for this lad. .

A Guard "keeping an eye out" isn't that an offical Guardai responce to a complaint

OP, you can take it your brother wont be kept an eye on so

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

want2play wrote:

A Guard "keeping an eye out" isn't that an offical Guardai responce to a complaint

And you can say that for certain?

OP I hope your brother is put of the roads. Its the likes of him why there are road deaths nearly every day of the week.

Driving is a privilege not a right

I read some time back that a lot of drivers who clocked up 12 points and got the ban have continued driving cos its up to them to surrender their licence. Dont know if this is true or not. Im not suggesting that the op's brother should do his though just making the point.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

If it was up to me I'd take the points for my brother though in the end despite what I posted earlier. Blood is thicker than the hard disk cylinder that stores his record.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭johncm

lads i also need my car for my job. am on the road 4 or 5 days a week and i cant understand why or how someone can get 12 pointsif they need there car that much. If you had any cop on after 6 you would slow down and remember the company wont give you anything extra at the end of the day for getting from one place to another in a super quick time.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

want2play wrote:
    GTC wrote:
    I'll be keeping an eye out for this lad.

GTC is in the Garda Traffic Corps - they are a different breed from normal gardai - they are kinda like the terminator!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

GTC is one of the few posters that actually talk sense on this forum - I hope that if I ever get stopped by a guard, its this guy.

Advertisement