Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which is better Opteron AM2 or Athlon 64 X2?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Beelzebub wrote:
    This:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819105018

or this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103771

which is better ie faster more overclockable for gaming mainly.

For my new AMD machine.

Not sure specs wise, presume it's for a budget pc? If not go for an Intel solution. Newegg won't ship outside the States though :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Beelzebub

AMD Athlon 64 X2 5600+ Windsor 2.8GHz 2 x 1MB L2 Cache Socket AM2 Processor

versus

AMD Opteron 1216 Santa Ana 2.4GHz 2 x 1MB L2 Cache Socket AM2 Dual Core Processor

I am going to buy one can someone who is knowledgeable about these technologies assist me in my decision?
    I have no clue as to the pros and cons of the processors in relation to each other.
    I'm building an AMD system and have no desire whatsoever to build an Intel one.

P.S. I am inside the U.S. right now and will be ordering from Newegg.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Beelzebub wrote:
    AMD Athlon 64 X2 5600+ Windsor 2.8GHz 2 x 1MB L2 Cache Socket AM2 Processor

versus

AMD Opteron 1216 Santa Ana 2.4GHz 2 x 1MB L2 Cache Socket AM2 Dual Core Processor

I am going to buy one can someone who is knowledgeable about these technologies assist me in my decision?
    I have no clue as to the pros and cons of the processors in relation to each other.
    I'm building an AMD system and have no desire whatsoever to build an Intel one.

P.S. I am inside the U.S. right now and will be ordering from Newegg.

All I did was offer an opinion, based on the entirely reasonable presumption that you were based in Ireland. The intention was to help.

Don't be such a snob.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

The Opteron will overclock much better, if you plan doing so I'd opt for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

Yeah with the Opteron it should overclock pretty well to 3Ghz but is there much point, the X2 5600 is already at 2.8Ghz for less money.

If you don't want to be messing around with overclocking you way as well just go for the X2 6000+ {3Ghz} and it is still cheaper than the Opteron.

There is no performance difference of note between the Opteron and Athlon 64 X2 so I would go for the X2 6000+.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Grim.

Amd = Fail!!!!

atm anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

Amd = Fail!!!!

atm anyway

They have adjusted their prices to compensate so the Athlon 64 X2 6000+ is basically equivalent in performance to the Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 & both are priced the same over here at least.

But if you go higher than the E6600 then Intel takes the lead no question.

sdonn_1 wrote:
    All I did was offer an opinion, based on the entirely reasonable presumption that you were based in Ireland. The intention was to help.

Don't be such a snob.

How is telling me to go Intel when I asked what the difference was between 2 AMD processors any kind of help?

If you don't know (and you admit that you don't: " Not sure specs wise" then don't post!

And there's no need to add insult to injury either!

Me, a snob! Nah.

Thanks, 8T8 and Havok for your input.

I think the 5600 with a little bit of overclocking will do me fine for now.

Advertisement