Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tax question

Options
  • 17-09-2007 11:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭

I have a car parked up over here in London for the last 6months. The tax is up on it 5 months now to.

Im driving it back to Ireland to try sell it in a few weeks, i'll also have to drive down to Kilkenny one weekend. Can i tax the car for one month or something like that rather than paying for 3/6 months?

Im going to get the Garda to stamp it so i dont have to pay the back tax, but im sure i'll get stopped on the way home from the boat. Anyway i can get it taxed before i get home without paying the back tax?

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭eamon234

Is it a UK or Irish car?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

The only way to tax it without paying the back tax, is to have a Gard stamp the RF100 form. You will need to get a relative to bring that form to the Motor Tax office, and the minimum time period you can tax a vehicle for is 3 months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭gary the great

ned78 wrote:
    The only way to tax it without paying the back tax, is to have a Gard stamp the RF100 form. You will need to get a relative to bring that form to the Motor Tax office, and the minimum time period you can tax a vehicle for is 3 months.

Could get my dad to do that in time for me coming home.
    Feck i thought i might be able to get it taxed for a month though, car will actually be locked up till Xmas after the few days i'll be driving it. I thougt i read somewhere that a car could be taxed for a month?

may risk it tbh, 90euro to tax it for 3 months when it wont be getting used is a waste of money.

Or, if i was to get my dad to apply for the tax the day before i get home, send all the forms in and payment etc, drive it down to kilkenny and if I get stopped explain that the forms have been sent of. If i dont get stopped cancel the payments :D Nah wouldnt do that.

Its an Irish car by the way.

Will take the risk driving it home from the ferry, its only 20mins away from where it will be gettign stored. then i'll lock it up and get a lend of a car for the drive down to kilkenny.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,281 ✭✭✭✭Esel

The car will most likely be seized if you are stopped though.

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

esel wrote:
    The car will most likely be seized if you are stopped though.

Nah, its more likely it won't be seized, i've seen guys with road tax that was a year out and even 2 years out and they were stopped multiple times, car wasnt seized at all.

I'd say just tell the Gardai the truth if you do get stopped, you just got back into the country and haven't had a chance to tax it yet. Even if they do seize it, you can declare it was off the road for however many months it was out of the state before and pay the road tax.

With regard to road tax, i was able to go in and get a refund on the remainder of my tax disk, however that was after i scrapped it, didn't ask for a scrappage cert though ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭sesswhat

craichoe wrote:
    With regard to road tax, i was able to go in and get a refund on the remainder of my tax disk, however that was after i scrapped it, didn't ask for a scrappage cert though ...

You would, in theory, need to get a six month disc to try for a refund as there needs to be three complete months left. It would probably be down to the person you deal with on the day.
    Refunds of Motor Tax
    It is possible in certain circumstances, to claim a refund of motor tax. Your application for a refund, should be made directly to you local motor tax office, on Form RF120. Circumstances where you may claim a refund of motor tax include;

The vehicle has been scrapped/destroyed or sent permanently out of the State,
    The vehicle has been stolen and has not been recovered by the owner,
    The vehicle has not been taken out or used in a public place at any time since the issue of the current disc,
    The owner of the vehicle has ceased, because of illness, injury or other physical disability, to use the vehicle,
    The owner of the vehicle has ceased, because of absence from the state for business or educational purposes, to use the vehicle,
    The owner of the vehicle has ceased, because of service overseas with the Defence Forces, to use the vehicle.

Tax discs must be surrendered immediately as refunds are generally calculated from the first of the month following the surrender of the disc. A minimum of three unexpired whole calender months must be left on the disc when surrendered.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭lynchie

craichoe wrote:
    Nah, its more likely it won't be seized, i've seen guys with road tax that was a year out and even 2 years out and they were stopped multiple times, car wasnt seized at all.

I'd say just tell the Gardai the truth if you do get stopped, you just got back into the country and haven't had a chance to tax it yet. Even if they do seize it, you can declare it was off the road for however many months it was out of the state before and pay the road tax.

Dont be too sure about that... Saw something at the weekend I thought Id never see...

Fonthill road in Clondalkin on the way to Liffey Valley.. Garda checkpoint checking tax.. anybody who was out.. (guess those out a good bit and not a month or so) were taking out of their cars and they were driving the cars onto a transporter :eek: Funny.. cause by the time I came back on that road about 30 mins later, they had 5-6 cars on the back of the transporter and a load of people standing there scratching their heads in disbelief!!

Im bringing most of my stuff home from the UK to as i'll be moving home soon, so the car will be loaded with my stuff. Hopefully the Gaurd will be sound when he sees my ferry ticket and stuff in the back of the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

If you go to the tax office you can tax it for a month? Easy

SetantaL wrote:
    If you go to the tax office you can tax it for a month? Easy

Can you? It seems to be that it can only be taxed for a min of 3months

• Advertisement

can anyone confirm this?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,281 ✭✭✭✭Esel

3 month minimum.

If you do get stopped with no tax (and the cop lets you off!), when you eventually go to tax the car you can pay the back tax just for the month the stop occurred in (i.e. you can have a period of non-use before and after the month in question). You also have to be taxing the car for the minimum 3 months at the same time though.

Not your ornery onager

Th aks for clearing that up Esel, what a waste of 90euro though for me. I'll try get my dad to sort it out before I go home for piece of mind, but i suppose i'll be best delaying it till October to get the extra month.

Advertisement