Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

XP problem

• 18-09-2007 12:57am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 38

I've reformatted my computer on this desktop around 5 times and I'm wondering if there is a program or way to delete all the folders other than the documents folder I'm using at the moment on the "DATA (D" drive? It doesn't allow me to delete them manually either.

Here is a screen shot (note that the only folder I want to keep is the "James.Admin" one).
    http://img260.imageshack.us/img260/3412/showqa0.png

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Soundman

Hard to tell but they look like folders pertaining to other users. If no-one else is using the computer except you then go into the Accounts Control and delete/disable the other users if there are any?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Martyn_Thomas

There is, just:

James (Computer Administrator) and Guest (which is turned off).

I'm at a loss then I'm afraid. Sorry. Hopefully someone else will have a solution by tomorrow for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Martyn_Thomas

ok thanks for trying.

No worries. Hope you get it sorted soon.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I don't know if this is it but I think it might be the folders from the previous accounts you had. After you formatted the account was gone but the folder remained because it was on a different drive. Your current account doesn't have permissions to access those accounts.

Log in to the 'administrator' account. This is a sort of master account that has permission to alter other accounts. You should be able to delete the folders from within the 'administrator' account.

I don't know if this is it but I think it might be the folders from the previous accounts you had. After you formatted the account was gone but the folder remained because it was on a different drive. Your current account doesn't have permissions to access those accounts.

Log in to the 'administrator' account. This is a sort of master account that has permission to alter other accounts. You should be able to delete the folders from within the 'administrator' account.

I'd second that. I should have thought of that last night.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Soundman wrote:
    I'd second that. I should have thought of that last night.

I wasn't 100% sure if that was right but it seems like the most likely answer especially given all the folders have the same name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭mukki

did you try...

right click on my computer
    properties
    advanced tap
    click settings in the user profile part

and in there you can click on the account you want to delete

and you cant delete the current account

also you can copy the profile to a key drive in case you need to restore it

mukki wrote:
    did you try...

right click on my computer
    properties
    advanced tap
    click settings in the user profile part

and in there you can click on the account you want to delete

and you cant delete the current account

also you can copy the profile to a key drive in case you need to restore it

He did say this already:
    There is, just:

James (Computer Administrator) and Guest (which is turned off).

• Advertisement

the accounts and profiles are different

the first time you logon to an account the profile folder is created.

so if you create an account- it has no profile folder until its logon to

if you delete an account its profile folder stays on the pc (unless you tell xp to delete it)

if a vital file goes corrupt in your profile folder a full new profile will be created and named "account name"."pc name"

xp will try to prevent you looking into other profile folder

woooop wooooop :p

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/sysdm_userprofile_delete.mspx?mfr=true

Soundman wrote:
    He did say this already:

in your face :p

just messing with the :p soundman, i know your only trying to help

Ah stick it up yer ASCII mukki.

:p

Soundman wrote:
    Ah stick it up yer ASCII mukki.

:p

ASCII stupid question get a stupid ANSI.

*runs*

ASCII stupid question get a stupid ANSI.

*runs*

Not bad. Would have been a much better response had it not taken you in the region of 21 hours to come up with it. :D

Advertisement