Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Keep getting punctures

Options
  • 18-09-2007 8:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭

I have a new enough Giant Cypress bike and while it's a grand little bike the tyres seem to be completely crap. The last two times I went out on it I've gotten a puncture. I don't cycle every day and when I do it's on cycle paths and roads so it's not like I'm going off road or anything. I put a new tube in it last time I got a puncture.
    I was hoping to do longer cycles and even though I bring a spare tube and pump with me I wouldn't be happy being stuck fixing stuff far from home. The tyres are 700mm by 40mm. Should I be asking the bicycle shop if they sold me a crap set of tyres before I get new ones? I'm a bit annoyed that I spent a lot (for me) on what I thought was a good bike and every time I go out on it I'm wheeling it home.
    Anyone have any recommendations for tyres that don't puncture easily?

Thanks a million,

Laura

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

possibly some glass stuck in the tires. Do a thorough check of the tire, inside and out and make sure there are no small bits of glass stuck in it.

Good puncture resistant tires are Specialized Armadillos. I use them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,156 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

As Raam could be something stuck in your tires.

It could also be a rim problem (either a small deformity in the rim, or no rim tape installed - I once got a bike with no rim tape, punctured everytime I took it for a ride until I eventually copped what was going on).

Finally, it could be that you are running your tires at too low a pressure... They are more prone to puncture in that case.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

The tyres will come standard from the Giant factory, so blaming the bike shop is like blaming powercity for a bad sony remote.

If you do not want to fork out for new tyres you can get tyre liners, I think cycleways in town do them for €13 -14
    Like these http://chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=7970

Do not order those as they are only the red ones for mountain bikes, you need the blue ones. Some people just line them with old tubes, but those liners I linked are really tough.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭bionic.laura

I checked inside the tyre for glass and stuff before I put in the new tube last time so hopefully it's not that. I suppose I'll check it again!
    Might try some tyre liners thanks for the suggestions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭morana

I think its important to have the tyre pressure correct most punctures occur when the wheel hits a hole or stone and the tyre and tube deform over the rim causing it to pinch have them good and hard...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

punctures drive me crazy.
    I'm either terribly unlucky, or else I bought a bad batch of 10 tubes. I keep getting a puncture at the same point in the tube, near the valve, but on the other side of the tube. It's not glass stuck in the tire, because I wouldn't always put the tire back on at exactly the same point on the tube. It's not spokes, because it's the wrong side of the tube. I think the rims are OK.

Last night I got a flat on my new bike (totally different tubes), put a patch on it, but must have done it wrong cos it was dead flat by the time I got up. Even went so far as to put it in a basin of water to see if any air was coming out, but couldn't see any

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

morana wrote:
    I think its important to have the tyre pressure correct most punctures occur when the wheel hits a hole or stone and the tyre and tube deform over the rim causing it to pinch have them good and hard...
    That really depends on the roads/tracks that you're using. All of my punctures in the last year has been due to glass or the spokes (inside). If you're not doing much bouncing up and down kerbs and you manage to avoid potholes, then you can get away with a softer tyre. On the road though, having a soft tyre is only making things difficult for yourself - a harder tyre has less traction.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭souter

To concur with morana, 90% of my punctures are nips (of these, 70% are failed attempts to put the tyre back, but less said about that ;-(.

Would an armidillo or like kevlar tyre give me any additional protection against these? I'm thinking not unless the sidewall is semi rigid which seems unlikely.

Advertisement