Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

cheapo wireless setup with legacy PC

• 18-09-2007 8:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I've currently got my main computer set up with a linksys wireless gateway. But it's a noisy old brute and I'm tempted to stuff it in a cupboard and use an old hp ePc ( http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,72283-page,1/article.html ) as the living room client.
    Now this is quiet, but it's old and I don't think it there's room for a pci card.
    Plus it is usb 1.1 (maybe even 1.0). It does have ethernet connection though.

So I'm probably going to have to install a lightweight linux distro on, then AFAIK my options are a) cheap usb wireless dongle, which will be bottlenecked at 1.5Mb/s if I'm lucky, but probably be a world of pain to set up, or b) a cheap but full blown wireless router which I can connect via the rj45. But this seems overkill, and kind of spoils the small form factor I'm aiming at.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

Something like the Linksys WET54G Wireless-G Ethernet bridge could do the trick. The only problem is they're not made any more so your best bet is ebay. Other manufacturers might have something similar. I have the WET11 (even older model) and it works grand. I bought it so I can have wireless on a linux machine without all the hassle of wrapping drivers. Just plugin and go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

irlrobins wrote:
    Something like the Linksys WET54G Wireless-G Ethernet bridge could do the trick. The only problem is they're not made any more so your best bet is ebay. Other manufacturers might have something similar. I have the WET11 (even older model) and it works grand. I bought it so I can have wireless on a linux machine without all the hassle of wrapping drivers. Just plugin and go.
    Another vote for this. It has a large antenna and so is bound to have better signal quality over inbuilt wireless or even a USB dongle. Doesn't get hot like some other networking gear I have either. Komplett are selling them ATM.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭souter

Cheers, "wireless ethernet bridge" is just the the thing I'm looking for. Old school so 2nd hand I guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 345 ✭✭ST

I've an old ORIGO wireless AP sitting in a box if you're interested.
    Same as one mentioned here.

http://blogx.co.uk/ViewItem.asp?Entry=377

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭souter

Thanks for the offer ST - unfortunately just shelled out 50 quid on a netgear wge101 yoke off ebay.

• Advertisement
Advertisement