Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Bmw 318se

Options
  • 18-09-2007 10:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all, just a quick question. Among other little problems with my BMW the one that is really bothering me is the gear change. When it is cold I cannot shift in 2nd. I have to go straight into 3rd as I do not want to force it. I have also noticed that if I go to neutral between 1st and 2nd it will change ok for me. This persists for about 5 mins and then changing into 2nd is fine. It's a 03 import and I have had this problem since I bought it in July. Obviously the car was warm when I test drove it. I am hoping this is a minor problem. Any suggestions??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Any suggestions??

Get it checked?

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Thanks Ned for the advice.

I am really looking for a few suggestions as to what the problem is before I go to a garage as it has been my experience before that a woman going into a garage with the line ' I have a problem with..... and I don't know why' usually works out quiet expensive in unnecessary garage fees. Hard to believe but some mechanics are under the impression that a woman is not capable of informing herself and therefore does not mind being ripped off due to ignorance. Therefore, I throw the question out again as I am merely striving to become more informed before approaching a garage with this.

Sorry, I wasn't trying to be sarcastic. It could be any number of things, and they'd all have a similar characteristic of not being able to change into second. The only way to narrow it down is to get a Mechanic to look at it, and figure out it's it's a loose linkage, if the syncro on second is gone, etc.

ned78 wrote:
    Sorry, I wasn't trying to be sarcastic. It could be any number of things, and they'd all have a similar characteristic of not being able to change into second. The only way to narrow it down is to get a Mechanic to look at it, and figure out it's it's a loose linkage, if the syncro on second is gone, etc.

TBH I do have a feeling it may be the syncro. Ta I suppose it's off to the mechanic so. Just need to find one with BMW experience that will not rip me off.

Where are you based?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

hi jungdreamer,

it might be something as simple as having the gearbox oil changed.

Your fear of mechanics is probably not unfounded unfortunately but may I suggest you try a few different opinions from garages before giving one the nod to fix it?

Are you near Morrisions in Cahir or Autoplatz in Cashel ( I see your from the Sunny South East )

Ned78, I am in Wicklow.

robAMerc, thanks for that advice but it's been tried. My partner change the gear box oil about 1 month ago. Not an easy job in a BMW, due to the location of it. Gearbox oil everywhere!! Smelly stuff!

So that rules that one out! Thanks again. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭richie_rvf

Sounds like the syncro to me.

I don't know about the E46's but is was a know fault on the E36's

Richie.

Advertisement